Municipality illegally demolishes building in İstanbul


Date posted: April 19, 2014

 

ISTANBUL

Workers from the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality have demolished a small, prefabricated shelter on land that belongs to the Hizmet-affiliated Mehtap Education Foundation, despite the lack of official permission to carry out the demolition.

The incident came amid mounting signs of a possible government crackdown on the faith-based Hizmet movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed to root out the “parallel structure” from state institutions. Erdoğan lays the blame for the Dec. 17 corruption probe that implicated some of his close associates and his own family on Hizmet, a claim firmly rejected by the movement.

Accompanied by municipal police, a group of 50-60 workers — including laborers and engineers from the Boğaziçi Zoning Directorate of the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality — visited the empty land where a prefabricated shelter had been installed for a guard and his family to safeguard the area.

“We will settle accounts with ‘parallellists,’ we will destroy their buildings,” the police said, according to witnesses and the guard. Without offering any legitimate explanation, municipal officials decided to demolish the shelter, and construction equipment was used to destroy it. Mehtap Education Foundation head Mustafa Başaran told Today’s Zaman that he had asked municipal police for an official document that approves the demolition.

“Instead of showing any official document approving the demolition, they just threatened me. They told me to refer my complaint to another authority, whichever I prefer,” said Başaran, who appeared stunned and bewildered by inexplicable behavior of the municipal officials from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

“To demolish a building, there must be an official decision, and the foundation should have been informed by the authorities before they carried out the demolition, according to the procedure. This was not the case here,” Başaran said.

He said that the foundation would file a complaint against the municipal officials.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 18, 2014


Related News

Recent poll on Hizmet movement

DR. DOĞU ERGİL, April 24, 2012 The MetroPOLL Strategic and Social Research Center conducted a nationwide survey during the last week of March and the first week of April. The topics polled included the clash between the Gülen community and the National Intelligence Organization (MİT). The number of respondents who believe the Gülen community wants to […]

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

Abdallah Kheri, who in Kenya heads the Islamic Research and Education Trust, worries that shuttering Gulen schools and other institutions could leave a vacuum that the so-called Islamic State will seek to fill. “Closing down the institutions would definitely grant gains to the fundamentalists,” he said. In Kenya, the Rev. Wilybard Lagho, Mombasa Roman Catholic diocese vicar general, said he would lament the demise of Gulen schools.

The latest step by AKP-Gov’t witch-hunt against Hizmet Movement

In Turkey, the increasing pressure over the freedom of press, property rights and authoritarianism have reached an alarming level. A recent report on the rule of law and respect for human rights inTurkey declared that Turkish government had been perpetrating systematic human rights violations since December 2013.

Tanzania to host int’l language, culture festival

Tanzania is to host the International Festival of Language and Culture (IFLC), which is meant to promote Swahili, the widely spoken language in east and central African region.

“They won’t believe,” he said

AHMET KURUCAN “They won’t believe,” he said. “They won’t believe that we work for peace and the salvation of humanity. They won’t believe that we endeavor to create an island of peace where all of humanity can live in brotherhood. They won’t believe that you do not have expectations for this world or the next. […]

Arrested Turkish TV chief writes an open letter from his jail cell

Hidayet Karaca, an executive with a leading Turkish TV network, has been in prison since 14 December last year on charges of leading a terrorist group. Karaca, general manager of the Samanyolu Broadcasting Group, was arrested along with more than two dozen senior journalists and media executives. Most were soon released.

Latest News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

University refuses admission to woman jailed over Gülen links

In Case You Missed It

Bulgarian producer introduces his fourth documentary on Fethullah Gulen

Turkey Coup: Erdogan Uses Stalinist Measures To Crack Down On Education

The [Gulen] movement was a shade

Erdoğan has to respect civil society

Turkish schools are being closed down

Radio Sweden exposes Turkish Gov’t tracks down regime critics in Sweden, threatens to take wives as hostages

Police detain another woman shortly after delivery, bringing total to 16

Copyright 2022 Hizmet News