Islamic scholar Gülen rejects involvement with graft probe and wiretappings

Turkish and Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish and Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: March 19, 2014

 

ISTANBUL

 

Fethullah Gülen said it would be morally unacceptable for him to stop, including people in his Hizmet (Service) Movement, probing corruption claims.

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has dismissed government accusations that he has orchestrated a graft probe while rejecting any involvement with recent online wiretapping leaks in the second part of an extensive interview with Today’s Zaman.

“I have said this before. I have no connection to those who organized these operations. I have repeatedly stated that I do not know any of them, but they continue to claim those prosecutors and police officers are linked to me,” Gülen was quoted as saying by Today’s Zaman March 18.

The U.S.-based scholar lamented that the government had sought to target those conducting investigations into corruption allegations, rather than those suspected of being involved in the graft scandal.

“Turkey launched a crackdown on those who investigated the corruption instead of on those who engaged in corrupt practices,” said Gülen, emphasizing that corruption was also contrary to Islam’s principles.

He also said it would be morally unacceptable for him to stop, including people in his Hizmet (Service) Movement, probing corruption claims.

“If among those who conducted the graft investigations were some people who might be connected to the Hizmet movement, was I supposed to tell these people, ‘Turn a blind eye to the corruption charges?’ It appears to me that some people were expecting me to do this. Did they expect me to do this? How can I say something that would ruin my afterlife? How else can I act?” he said.

Accusations on wiretapping without evidence

Gülen also rejected the latest accusations against his movement of wiretapping phone conversations of top government officials, including Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, and a number of aides and businessmen close to the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) in connection with the graft accusations.

Among the leaked voice recordings, an alleged conversation between Erdoğan and his son in the wake of the Dec. 17, 2013, raids caused a huge uproar, with both frantically discussing how to hide a huge amount of cash.

Erdoğan has directly rejected the authenticity of the recording, claiming that it was a “montage” and directly accused Gülen’s movement of being responsible for the leak.

“Given that no strong or convincing evidence is being presented on such a critical and delicate issue, it is fair to believe the accusers have something different in mind,” Gülen told Today’s Zaman regarding the accusations, adding that quite the contrary, he supported any investigations into illegal recordings.

“No matter what, those who relied on illegal methods to listen in on phone calls should be identified and brought to justice. This should be done regardless of the perpetrator’s identity and affiliation,” Gülen said. However, he also called on a side note for questioning those who make accusations against his movement.

“I believe complaining about the audio recordings, but also using some of them as part of election campaigning, is not reconcilable with ethical and legal principles,” Gülen said.

Source: Hurriyet Daily , March 19, 2014


Related News

In A Letter, A Jailed Woman Reveals Abuse And Ill-Treatment In Turkish Prison

A letter by a jailed Turkish woman who wrote to her aunt from Konya prison revealed the ill-treatment of detainees who were subjected to abuse, inhuman and cruel treatment in Turkey’s detentions and prisons.

Erdoğan hampers girls’ education [by shutting down prep schools run by the Hizmet movement]

Adalet Binici, a 14-year-old Kurdish girl in eighth grade, became the champion in last year’s Level Determination Examination (SBS), a high school placement test administered by the Turkish government to over a million students nationwide, thanks to the supplementary education and training provided by a prep school run by the Hizmet movement that is inspired by education-savvy Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

40-day-old baby, mother under police custody for 4 days: opposition deputy

A Turkish woman who gave birth to her baby 40 days ago, has been kept under police custody along with her newborn over the past four days, according to main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy Sezgin Tanrıkulu.

Overshadowing the graft probe

Erdoğan’s government has removed around 113 police chiefs from their posts in a major overhaul and issued a decree that dealt a serious blow to judicial independence since the operation, which targeted some members of his inner circle, was initiated on Dec. 17. All these draconian measures taken by the government are intended to prevent the police and judiciary from carrying out criminal investigations without the government’s — i.e., the executive’s — knowledge.

Practicing Muslims and negotiating with the Kurdists

DR. İHSAN YILMAZ The Hizmet movement has taken the lead on several sensitive issues in Turkey, ranging from democratization and the EU process to interfaith dialogue. I think it must also take the lead in supporting the peace attempts. It does not have to give a blank check to everyone and can voice its concerns, […]

Washington mute as Turkey spying allegations cause outrage

Washington has refused to either confirm or deny allegations that its security intelligence agency had been involved in spying on top-level Turkish officials, while Turkish critics fear it could make the country’s security vulnerable, if the allegations are true.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen’s brother detained in Erdogan’s ongoing crackdown after coup

Unimpressed by Turkish ‘parallel structure’ defense, MEPs approve critical report

Gulen – Erdogan History in 2 minutes

Erdogan – Turkey’s desperate president

New York Times interviews Mr. Gulen

Turkey’s Erdogan and July 15 coup

AFSV Denounces President Erdogan’s Seizure of Leading Newspaper Zaman

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News