US intel director: Turkish purge impeding fight against ‘Islamic State’

James Clapper, the US Director of National Intelligence
James Clapper, the US Director of National Intelligence


Date posted: July 29, 2016

Turkey’s purge has removed military officers who’d been key figures in the US-led fight against the so-called “Islamic State,” says US intelligence head James Clapper. He called it a setback in US-Turkish cooperation.

James Clapper, the US Director of National Intelligence, told a security forum in Aspen, Colorado, on Thursday that many Turkish officials who had interacted with the Americans in the fight against the self-styled “Islamic State” (IS) group had been “purged or arrested.”

Since a failed coup two weeks ago, Turkish President Reccep Tayyip Erdogan has reacted with multiple clampdowns, including arrests of more than 15,800 people, among them 10,000 from Turkey’s military.

“It’s having an effect because it has affected all segments of the national security apparatus in Turkey,” Clapper told the Aspen forum. “There’s no question this is going to set back and make more difficult our cooperation with the Turks.”

Listening posts, air base

Turkey hosts US troops and planes at Incirlik, a NATO airbase. It also hosts US listening posts and a CIA base from which the intelligence agency has supported moderate Syrian rebel forces.

Also speaking at the forum, US Central Command General Joseph Votel said he understood that some of Erdogan’s suspects were in jail.

Votel said Incirlik – a base where reputedly US nuclear warheads are bunkered – had resumed normal operations.

Votel added that he was more worried about “longer-term” impacts of the Turkish coup attempt and purge on US counter-terrorism operations in the Middle East.

Beyond Incirlik, there were other “frictions” in the US-Turkish relationship, said Votel, without elaborating. “We’re got ways to mitigate that, to manage that right now,” Votel said. “And we are.”

Erdogan wants direct MIT control

Erdogan’s spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said the president wanted Turkey’s armed forces and its national intelligence agency MIT brought under presidential control.

Turkey’s remnant media said such a change would require a constitutional amendment, requiring Erdogan’s Islamist-rooted AK Party to seek opposition support in parliament.

Gulen denies involvement

Erdogan’s government accuses Sunni Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen – in self-imposed US exile – and followers of his Hizmet movement of being behind the failed coup, a charge denied by Gulen.

Washington has responded cautiously to Erdogan’s request to extradite the 75-year-old from Philadelphia.

US State Department spokesman John Kirby said Thursday the US was “deeply concerned” about the latest reports of Turkish closures of news and media outlets.

ipj/msh (Reuters, dpa)

Source: Deutsche Welle , July 29, 2016


Related News

Who staged a coup against whom on Dec. 17?

When its involvement in corruption and bribery became public, and that this seemed like the tip of an iceberg, the government thought that it must cover up the subsequent investigation, fearing that yet more investigations would be started — and so crushed the police force and the judiciary like a steamroller.

A Personal Story from Turkey: I am a “Man of Law” Not a Terrorist!

I am a lawyer, I am man of law but according to President Erdogan I am a “terrorist” who attempted for a coup! I am writing this letter from a city in Eastern Europe as I had to run away from persecution. Just after my departure on 22 July, Turkish police arrived at my house but could not find me. Instead, with the intention to bring me out they have decided to detain my mother who is 86 years old and can barely walk.

Filipina, infant freed from Turkish jail, but…

The Filipina mother who forcibly was separated from her infant and detained in Turkey for weeks has been released. But their reunion is being cut short by her deportation, in the crackdown following a failed coup in which she had no part. Information is being withheld from Karen’s lawyer and the Philippine Embassy staff assisting her. Forcible separation of an infant from her mother is a humanitarian concern.

EC official: Turkey should address issues within limits of rule of law

Turkey should deal with its problems within the confines of the rule of law and the legal instruments of democratic societies, Alexandra Cas Granje, European Commission (EC) director of enlargement, has said in reference to a recent corruption scandal and draft bill on the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK).

Turkish officers speak: Erdogan may have staged coup

So, if Erdogan’s narrative is flawed, what are the alternative theories? On the surface, much doesn’t add up. Now, several career Turkish military officers — none of whom are followers or supporters of Gülen — have compiled from open sources a lengthy report analyzing the coup. They have authorized me to share the Dropbox link where they have made it accessible.

Georgetown University in Qatar professor authors book on interfaith dialogue, Hizmet Movement

Father Thomas Michel in his new book titled “Peace and Dialogue in a Plural Society: Contributions of the Hizmet Movement at a Time of Global Tensions” explores how Fethullah Gulen and his movement are one of those voices speaking most vocally in favor of a world community, where different faiths and nations can come together at one table to solve the multitude of problems facing today’s world.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Arrested journalist Hidayet Karaca’s letter published in Le Monde

Turkish entrepreneurs open second school in Cambodia

Imam Sytari praises Gulen as a global thinker

Turkey blacklists 68 companies including Germany’s Daimler, BASF over Gülen links

Ongoing tussle: Students, parents protest closure of Pak-Turk School in Khairpur

Fethullah Gülen’s message of condolence for veteran journalist Mehmet Ali Birand

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement of Condolences for Florida High School Shooting

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News