ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases


Date posted: November 6, 2025

The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) on Monday rejected an appeal by the Turkish government to refer to the Grand Chamber its ruling that allows the retrial of 239 people convicted on terrorism charges for alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, the Stockholm Center for Freedom reported, citing Turkish media.

Turkey’s appeal challenged the ECtHR’s July 22 ruling, which found that the country violated the rights of these individuals by failing to ensure fair trials and imposing criminal penalties without a clear legal basis. The court’s decision had provided for fair compensation for non-pecuniary damages and allowed the criminal proceedings to be reopened if requested within one year.

The ruling had also emphasized that the evidence used against the applicants does not justify their convictions. Many had been convicted based on the use of ByLock, an encrypted messaging app that Turkish authorities claim was exclusively used by members of the Gülen movement, as well as membership in affiliated trade unions and associations, witness statements, banking activities at the now-shuttered Bank Asya, possession of related publications or audio-visual material, donations, residence in student houses or dormitories and communications via other messaging applications, such as Kakao Talk or Eagle.

Legal analysts noted that the rejection by the court significantly expands the precedent set by the 2023 Yalçınkaya decision. It could affect over 10,000 pending cases, allowing appeals and reassessments of defenses and creating a significant additional workload for the courts.

In a pilot judgment in September 2023, the Grand Chamber of the ECtHR ruled that Turkey had violated three articles of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) in the case of former teacher Yüksel Yalçınkaya, who was sentenced to more than six years in prison on terrorism charges due to his use of ByLock.

The “pilot judgment” procedure allows the court to address systematic rights violations without re-examining thousands of identical cases. After a ruling, the court forwards similar cases to the government concerned urging broader remedies.

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has been targeting followers of the Gülen movement, inspired by the late Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen, since corruption investigations in December 2013 implicated him as well as some members of his family and inner circle.

Dismissing the investigations as a Gülenist coup and a conspiracy against his government, Erdoğan began to target the movement’s members. He designated the movement as a terrorist organization in May 2016 and intensified the crackdown on it following an abortive putsch in July of the same year that he accused Gülen of masterminding. The movement strongly denies involvement in the coup attempt or any terrorist activity.

According to the latest figures from the Justice Ministry, more than 126,000 people have been convicted for alleged links to the Gülen movement since 2016, with 11,085 still in prison. Legal proceedings are ongoing for over 24,000 individuals, while another 58,000 remain under investigation nearly a decade later.

Source: Turkish Minute , November 5, 2025


Related News

The legacy of a professor closing down schools

The attempt to close down these schools is an indicator of hatred/resentment among some against the Hizmet movement, which laid the foundation for these institutions.

Kyrgyz court overturns extradition of suspected Gülenists to Turkey

A Kyrgyzstan court on Tuesday overturned a decision by the country’s Prosecutor General’s Office to extradite two people to Turkey to face charges of membership of the banned Gülen movement, The Diplomat reported.

Ambassador says US having difficulty in seeing clear criterion in anti-Gülen operations

Speaking to a group of reporters in Istanbul on Friday, Bass said although the Turkish government insists that the anti-coup measures it has taken against followers of the Gülen movement are proportionate, it is difficult see that the Turkish government is taking its actions based on a clear criterion. Bass said the US was having difficulty in assessing whether the measures are proportionate and reasonable.

Turkey’s Economy Suffering Enormous Post-Coup Purges

Since the attempted military coup on July 15, the government, empowered by a state of emergency, has fired or suspended about 125,000 people, of whom nearly 40,000 have been arrested, and tens of thousands of others taken into custody. As a result, roughly 800,000 people have been completely cut off from any economic safety net.

Indonesia and Turkey: Similar but Different

On the other side, there is one very important thing that Indonesia must avoid. The Turkish government has been inching ever closer to becoming an Islamist nation, abandoning its secularity that has acted as the foundation of modern Turkey until now. The government’s power is also getting increasingly concentrated in the hands of the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Turkish Deputy PM says he will not visit Gülen amid ‘prep school tension’

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç has said that he will not visit Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen during his trip to the United States, amid tension between the Gülen movement and the government over the possible closure of private “dershane” examination prep schools. After a Cabinet meeting on Nov. 18, Arınç had said the government would reevaluate its work on the controversial closure of the prep schools “together with the related parties.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen files criminal complaint over smear campaign

Turks, Rio de Janeiro gov’t sign agreement to further education efforts in Brazil

Academic Freedom in Turkey Under Seige

Erdogan in Africa: Gulen and trade ties

Police raid Gülen-inspired schools in Adana despite ministry regulation

Gülen’s Dialogue on Education: A Caravanserai of Ideas

Gülen’s followers banned from mosque in Germany

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News