NPR’s Interview with Gulen – He Denies Involvement In Coup Attempt


Date posted: July 11, 2017

From his exile compound in the Poconos, the cleric accused by the Turkish government of leading a failed coup attempt last year, Fethullah Gulen, denies any involvement.

Transcript

MARY LOUISE KELLY, HOST:

This week marks a year since a failed coup rocked the country of Turkey. Elements of the Turkish military bombed government buildings, blocked bridges in Istanbul and attempted to oust President Recep Tayyip Erdogan. More than 260 people were killed. Erdogan’s forces managed to wrest back control the following day. Erdogan accuses an Islamic scholar of leading the coup.

That man’s name is Fethullah Gulen, and he lives not in Turkey but in Saylorsburg, Pa., of all places. He rarely gives interviews, but our colleague, host of All Things Considered, Robert Siegel, sat down with Gulen at his compound in Pennsylvania yesterday. And Robert joins us now. Good morning. You never get to say that on air but good morning.

ROBERT SIEGEL, BYLINE: Good morning, Mary Louise.

KELLY: Tell us a little bit more about Gulen, including how he finds himself living in the Poconos.

SIEGEL: He is a very famous Turkish Muslim scholar and preacher who over the decades acquired a very vast following in Turkey. His following became a movement that created a network of schools in Turkey and around the world, including dozens of charter schools here in the U.S. He is a man deeply mistrusted by secular Turks as the leader of a kind of conspiratorial shadow state. In 1999, he came here for medical care and given the fact that he’d been arrested in some prior coups, decided it would be safer to remain in the United States, where he lives in what was once a summer camp in the Pocono Mountains.

KELLY: Now, we should note that Turkey wants him back. They are calling on the U.S. to extradite him. What does he say to that?

SIEGEL: Well, this is a man who for a few years was actually allied with President Erdogan. They had a falling out. That was about a year before the attempted coup. And as the coup got underway, Erdogan instantly blamed Gulenists – his followers – and Gulen for doing it. He says he’s being scapegoated. He says that while many Turks think that these thousands of Gulenists follow his every command, as he put it to me in this point, that simply is not the case.

FETHULLAH GULEN: (Through interpreter) the perception that I control all of this, that I tell people to do things and that they are doing them, there is no such thing. As I have said to one lawmaker, if there is any suspicion or secrecy, they should conduct deep investigations and expose it. I am not clear on what it is that is so secret, but they should send their law enforcement and intelligence services to uncover it. I firmly support that.

SIEGEL: In fact, the Turkish government has asked the U.S. to extradite Fethullah Gulen so that he can be put on trial for instigating the coup, to be tried as a terrorist there in Turkey.

KELLY: Is there any evidence, by the way, to back up this claim that he orchestrated the coup?

SIEGEL: There’s evidence that there were Gulenist officers involved in the coup. There’s also evidence there were many other officers involved in the coup. As for evidence of Gulen calling the shots and instigating it, in a word, no.

KELLY: You mentioned he has a vast following still in Turkey despite having lived here for years. What’s happening to them?

SIEGEL: Here’s some numbers – 50,000 arrests since last summer’s coup, 140,000 people purged from their jobs. According to the Turkish government, nearly a thousand businesses and other institutions seized from Gulenist organizations or individuals, totaling about $11 billion worth of property.

KELLY: OK. Thank you very much, Robert.

SIEGEL: Thank you, Mary Louise.

Source: NOR , July 11, 2017


Related News

Gülen appeals for steadfastness against gov’t ban on prep schools [in Turkey]

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has asked his followers to be resolute and not yield to despair in the face of a government attempt to shut down private educational institutions [in Turkey] that assist students to prepare for high school and university admission examinations, which was interpreted as a major blow to the right to an education and to free enterprise in the EU-candidate country.

New book examines efforts to link Gülen to every probe

A recently published book authored by journalist Nazlı Ilıcak tries to shed light on allegations that point to the faith-based Gülen movement as the driving force behind some ongoing trials in Turkey that aim to cleanse the country of anti-democratic formations. Ilıcak’s book, “Her Taşın Altında ‘The Cemaat’ mi Var?” (Is the “The Movement” behind […]

Dangerous and unnecessary tension

MARKAR ESAYAN Turkey has been experiencing heated tension over the prep school issue for a while. And unfortunately, the discussion was taken out of the educational context and has become a political issue. The Taraf daily, in its recent reports and with the official documents it published, argued that the Justice and Development Party (AK […]

Greek Orthodox Bishop Demetrios Honored

Bishop Demetrios received the Niagara Foundation’s Fethullah Gulen Award during the 5th Annual Peace and Dialogue Awards program held on May 4 at the Ritz-Carlton hotel in the city’s downtown. An estimated 250 people turned out for the event, including local religious leaders from such denominations as the Episcopal church, the Jewish faith and the […]

Evolution of the Gulen [Hizmet] Movement

HizmetNews.COM  November  14, 2012 Members of the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS) gathered in Washington DC for a follow up discussion on the Gulen Movement on October 19, 2012. The group’s director Dr. Bulent Aliriza hosted the discussion… and said that the Gulen movement, perhaps more than any other in overall Turkish picture, […]

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

The Turkey Tribunal, a civil society-led, symbolic international tribunal established to adjudicate recent human rights violations in Turkey, started proceedings in Geneva on Monday where rapporteurs pointed to the use of systematic torture by the government against alleged members of the faith-based Gülen movement and Kurds.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Biggest NGO [ Kimse Yok Mu] Chief Discloses Plans to Extend to Gambia

The Gulen Movement Is Not a Cult — It’s One of the Most Encouraging Faces of Islam Today

‘African wave’ makes splash at İstanbul summit

Johannesburg hosts 14 countries for international festival

Whistleblower says gov’t preparing to close down Gülen-inspired schools

Appeals court unanimously upholds Fethullah Gülen acquittal

“We will celebrate a new world”

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News