Whistleblower says gov’t preparing to close down Gülen-inspired schools


Date posted: April 21, 2015

A government whistleblower has claimed the government is preparing to shut down schools believed to be close to the Gülen movement, a faith-based grassroots social initiative inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, in Turkey on the pretext that the schools are not being properly administered.

Government whistleblower Fuat Avni claimed on his Twitter account on Sunday night that a file containing instructions on the process of closing down schools close to the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement and inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, had reached him at the presidential palace.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan claims the Hizmet movement tried — and failed — to carry out a coup attempt against himself and the government in the form of a graft investigation that went public on Dec. 17 and 25, 2013, implicating former Cabinet ministers, prominent businessmen close to the administration and even members of Erdoğan’s family. The president has since waged a self-declared war against the movement, even going so far as to say, “If reassigning individuals who betray this country is called a witch hunt, then yes, we will carry out this witch hunt,” during a speech at the 22nd Consultation and Assessment Meeting of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) in 2014.

According to Avni, a meeting was convened by Ministry of Education Undersecretary Yusuf Tekin at İstanbul’s Zübeyde Hanım teachers’ residence during which Atıf Ala, the younger brother of former Interior Minister Efkan Ala, was also present. Avni claims the provincial heads of Turkey’s educational inspectors were instructed during the meeting to close down educational facilities deemed to be close to the Gülen movement. The schools to be shut down are to be determined by May 15.

Erdoğan has also been campaigning for the closure of Turkish schools abroad that are inspired by the Gülen movement during his visits to countries around the world. During a visit to Ethiopia in January, he was quoted by the state Anadolu news agency as saying, “In the countries we visit we have been talking about the status of these schools and saying they should be closed down.” Erdoğan also said he has been telling African authorities the Turkish Ministry of Education is ready to offer the same services provided by these schools. “The ministry is close to finishing its preparations to that effect,” he said.

Numerous foreign countries, including Cameroon, that host Turkish schools inspired by the movement have rejected Erdoğan’s message and affirmed that they benefit from the schools. Fresh criticism has arisen in Cameroon, which has been host to Turkish schools for the past 12 years. A story by John Dauda in the country’s esteemed newspaper Le Messager strongly condemned the Turkish president, accusing Erdoğan of intervening in the domestic affairs of African countries and calling it a move that will damage bilateral ties with Turkey.

In addition to taking steps to close down schools in Turkey and abroad, the ruling AK Party decided in November of 2013 to shut down prep schools — primarily attended by students for supplementary tutoring for university entrance exams — by passing a bill into law in March 2014. According to the law, prep schools will no longer be able to operate as such after Sept. 1, 2015 and must convert to standard high schools if they wish to remain in operation.

Source: Today's Zaman , April 20, 2015


Related News

Fethullah Gülen’s legal journey

Bülent Korucu April 8, 2012, Sunday James C. Harrington has a brilliant career as a lawyer who has practiced for 40 years and as a professor who has taught law in universities for 25 years. But what is even more important is his sensitivity to and struggle for human rights. He is one of the […]

Fethullah Gulen Calls Crackdown ‘Dark Pages’ in History – Responses to World Affairs Council of Philadelphia

In videotaped remarks to the World Affairs Council of Philadelphia, Fethullah Gulen said the Turkish government is using the attempted coup to justify persecuting his followers, who he said are being “subjected to oppression and tyranny, molestation and unlawful acquisition of their private properties.

Only educational efforts of groups such as Hizmet can eradicate extremism

In sharp contrast to Boko Haram, there is a faith-inspired group, a civil society movement that engages in education, dialogue and charitable activities and has grown out of Muslim grass roots. Check out how disturbed Boko Haram is about Hizmet’s education campaign, which offers opportunities for both boys and girls. Check out how ISIL publications outline exactly how they hate the Hizmet movement’s efforts and why they see Hizmet as their “enemies.”

Tanzania to host int’l language, culture festival

Tanzania is to host the International Festival of Language and Culture (IFLC), which is meant to promote Swahili, the widely spoken language in east and central African region.

Coup in Turkey, Turkish Schools in Nigeria, and Implications for Nigeria’s National Security

President Erdogan has also asked the Government of Nigeria to close down all Turkish schools in Nigeria allegedly because Fetullah Gulen was the main architect of the failed coup in Turkey. Is this request in Nigeria’s national interest? In which way is the Turkish failed coup likely to impact on Nigeria’s national security? How important is Nigeria-Turkish relations in the country’s overall global relations?

Fethullah Gulen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences for St. Petersburg Terrorist Attack

Fethullah Gulen: I strongly condemn the brutal terrorist attack Monday on the metro in St. Petersburg, Russia, which cost the lives of 11 people and injured dozens more. Words fail to express my sorrow at the loss of innocent lives and suffering of their loved ones.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s Erdogan and unending human rights repression

Why on earth does a Hizmet follower flee Turkey?

Lessons from Dec. 17: Who is parallel?

Turkey’s Maarif Foundation illegally seized German-run school in Ethiopia, says manager

As I researched the Gulen schools in Germany, I experienced beyond what I had expected

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Sri Lanka Explosions

Who is Fethullah Gülen, why is the Gülen movement currently being targeted by the Turkish government?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News