Gülen condemns Reyhanlı attack as ‘villainy’

M. Fethullah Gulen
M. Fethullah Gulen


Date posted: May 15, 2013

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen has described Saturday’s bloody terrorist attack in Hatay as “villainy” and called on the public to remain cautious and exercise common sense in the face of the bombings.

In his latest weekly speech, broadcast on the website herkul.org, Gulen said the bombing in Hatay was more heinous an attack than an animal could commit. He said the attack targeting Hatay, a symbol of a culture of peaceful coexistence, has created great sorrow. He said people will respond, while preserving common sense, to those who have targeted efforts to restore social peace and brotherhood in Turkey.

Two car bombs ripped through crowded shopping streets of the border town of Reyhanlı, a main hub for Syrian refugees and opposition activity in Hatay province. Fifty-one people were killed and as many as 100 injured in the bombings. The bodies of 46 dead were retrieved from the bomb sites on Saturday while another five victims were found later.

Gulen recommended people hope and pray that this brutality will not be repeated. “In our prayers, we should remember those people who were wrongly and brutally killed and martyred,” he suggested.

He then said that he had been moved a great deal by the information and images on the attack victims he had seen in newspapers. “This was an atrocious, repulsive, heinous act. What madness is it to kill people without caring whether they are innocent children, women or men? How psychopathic and sadistic is this? Even animals wouldn’t do such thing,” he said.

He further stated that Turkey is surrounded by problems and needs new strategy and projects to overcome these problems. Unless we come up with a long-term strategy to deal with our problems and realize our strategy in a determined manner, our land will become the home of further villainy, the scholar added. “May God protect us from even the dream of this,” he noted.

Gulen additionally expressed his sorrow and condolences for the victims of the Reyhanlı blasts.

Source: Today’s Zaman, May 14, 2013


Related News

Who is Fethullah Gulen? (by National Catholic Reporter)

By blaming Fethullah Gulen and the Gulen movement for the coup attempt, Mr. Erdogan’s authoritarian tendencies have only increased as witnessed by the tens of thousands arrested and detained, and the radical curtailing of free speech. It now appears that in Mr. Erdogan’s hands Turkey’s future and that of the Middle East will be less democratic, less stable and more tumultuous than ever.

The cleric next door: Pocono neighbors weigh in on Fethullah Gülen, the man Turkey wants back

“People fear what they don’t know,” said Howard A. Beers Jr., the chairman of the Ross Township Board of Supervisors, the municipal government that oversees Saylorsburg. “I can tell you directly that these are the nicest people,” Beers said last week after a township meeting at which building inspection fees and a squabble over a local bar were major points of concern. “There’s nothing to fear.”

Mr. Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences for Rev. Billy Graham

Fethullah Gülen: I was saddened to learn of the passing of Rev. Billy Graham, a renowned man of faith who reached hundreds of millions with his inclusive messages in service of world peace. With his departure he leaves a gap that is hard to fill.

The Muslim Martin Luther? Fethullah Gulen Attempts an Islamic Reformation

Erdogan is clearly intent on marginalizing the Gulenist movement, even at the expense of the rule of law in Turkey. Turkey would clearly be harmed if Gulenist teachings on tolerance and individual rights were successfully quieted. But the loss for Islamic culture would be an even greater tragedy.

Erdoğan, Gülen among 10 Turkish figures in Foreign Policy 500 List

Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and well-known Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen are among 10 Turkish public figures who made the 500 List of Foreign Policy magazine in its 200th issue, which it dubbed the “Power Issue.” Foreign Policy said it put together the so-called “Power Map” of the planet’s 500 most powerful people, […]

For first time, Fethullah Gülen curses purge of police officials in emotional speech

Fethullah Gülen has cursed those responsible for a purge of police officials involved in a corruption investigation. Turkish PM Tayyip Erdoğan has called the detention of scores of people seen as close to the government a “dirty operation” aimed at undermining his rule. Erdoğan has refrained from naming Gülen as the hand behind the investigation and he referred to an “illegal gang within the state” and systematically purged officials, including journalists in public broadcasters.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen’s teachings discussed this time in New York

Police raid house of 96-year-old philanthropist in İzmir

Hizmet Movement discussed at Mexico’s UNAM

Erdogan, Gulen Combat Islamophobia, Extremism

Fethullah Gülen speaks at UN

Is the Gulen Movement a Threat to the Turkish Government?

Shadow of Military Removed, Turkey Seeks a Spiritual Leader’s Remains

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News