Police raid house of 96-year-old philanthropist in İzmir

96-year-old Mustafa Şık is seen in this undated photo. (Photo: Today's Zaman)
96-year-old Mustafa Şık is seen in this undated photo. (Photo: Today's Zaman)


Date posted: December 22, 2015

HASAN ÇİLİNGİR / TEKİN GÜRBULAK / IZMIR

Police raided the house of 96-year-old Mustafa Şık, a prominent philanthropist, in İzmir on Friday as part of a government-initiated “witch hunt” operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement.

Today’s Zaman learned on Saturday that police raided Şık’s house with the intention of arresting him but upon seeing his poor medical condition, officers questioned Şık while he remained in bed. They later reported the incident to İzmir Deputy Chief Public Prosecutor Okan Bato, who is overseeing the case at the İzmir Public Prosecutor’s Office.

Thirty-seven people including businessmen, lawyers and a civil servant were detained on Friday after police officers conducted raids on 40 locations in İzmir, İstanbul, Antalya, Malatya, Eskişehir and Muğla based on an order from Bato. According to a report by the Cihan news agency on Friday, the majority of the detainees are over 60 and one of the lawyers has cancer.

The İzmir Public Prosecutor’s Office claimed in a statement on Friday that the suspects supported the Gülen movement by donating money, sacrificial animals during the Eid al-Adha festival and providing scholarships to students.

According to the statement, all the suspects are accused of financially supporting the “parallel state,” a term coined by current President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to refer to the Gülen movement following the Dec. 17, 2013 graft scandal, which implicated some of Erdoğan’s family members and senior Justice and Development Party (AK Party) figures. Erdoğan was prime minister at the time the investigations became public.

The İzmir Public Prosecutor’s Office said that 57 detention warrants had been issued as of Friday and that 40 locations searched by police officers from the İzmir Police Department. Police are looking for the remaining 20 people for whom detention warrants have been issued.

In another operation targeting the Gülen movement in İzmir on July 24, police detained 22 locals, 18 of whom were later released by a court. The remaining four were arrested but later released as a result of an objection filed against their arrest.

The latest operation conducted in İzmir coincided with the second anniversary of the graft scandal. Erdoğan has accused the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement — a grassroots initiative inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen — of plotting to overthrow his government. Erdoğan has said he will carry out a “witch hunt” against anyone with links to the movement. However, no concrete evidence has been brought before any court proving that Gülen movement was involved in the operations against the government and people involved in corruption in 2013. The movement strongly rejects the allegations brought against it.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 20, 2015


Related News

5,166 Turkish citizens sought asylum in Germany during January-November

According to data from the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, there has been a rapid rise in the number of Turkish people seeking asylum in Germany since a failed coup attempt on July 15. Germany received asylum applications from a total of 5,166 Turkish citizens during the January-November period of 2016, according to a story in Deutsche Welle on Sunday.

‘African wave’ makes splash at İstanbul summit

CUMALİ ÖNAL, İSTANBUL The second day of a global trade and investment summit in İstanbul saw increased interest from African companies in Turkish markets, with some major deals in the works. Organized by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), the World Trade Summit opened its doors to visitors from around the world on […]

TUSKON summit highlights Turkish ‘FTA initiative’

Turkey is preparing to kick start negotiations to ink free trade agreements (FTAs) with a dozen countries, including Japan and Canada, Economy Minister Zafer Çağlayan told a global trade and investment summit held in İstanbul. The Turkey-World Trade Bridge summit, a seven-year-old event on its way to becoming an internationally recognized summit, opened its doors […]

Misreading Turkey’s Twitter Controversy

Gülen and the participants of the movement he helped create have no interest in the privileges of power, which is evident from their purposeful abstention from holding political office or negotiating for political advantage.

Erdoğan’s ‘non-precious’ loneliness

The US and Europe now use Erdoğan’s level of aggression against whomever he targets as an indicator to measure the degree of democratic culture of the Turks. For this reason, as Erdoğan and his government intensify their aggression, the Hizmet movement becomes more respectable and prestigious in the world.

Filling the gap left by Gulen

Erdogan and Gulen shared the goal of creating a “devout generation”. Yet despite their similar outlook on life and objectives, the Gulen movement never merged completely with the AKP. However, Gulen was never willing to subordinate himself to Erdogan, which is why the two men fell out in 2013 and the informal coalition with the Gulen movement collapsed.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Tanzania to host int’l language, culture festival

Arrested journalist Hidayet Karaca’s letter published in Le Monde

Prof. İzzettin Doğan: Ramadan is opportunity to get to know Islam

Students from 32 countries participate in international cultural festival in Cambodia

International students celebrate Prophet Muhammad in Gaziantep

The Pigeon, The Finger, and Hizmet’s ‘Inevitable Ambiguity’

Turkey detainees tortured, raped after failed coup, rights group says

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News