Biden says US courts to decide on Gülen’s extradition


Date posted: August 25, 2016

US Vice President Joe Biden, who arrived in Ankara on Wednesday, said the US administration wants to cooperate with Turkey over the Turkish government’s request for the extradition of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen but that it is a US court that will make the decision.

Speaking at a joint news conference with Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım, Biden said US officials and judicial experts are cooperating with their Turkish counterparts and examining evidence submitted to the US by Turkey about Gülen.

He said the documents provided by Turkey need to be submitted to a US court and that the documents should be prepared in accordance with US law concerning the extradition of criminals.

Biden said the US can extradite Gülen only after an American court makes such a decision.

The US vice president noted that his country has no intention of protecting someone who inflicts damage on an ally but that they have an obligation to abide by the law.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan reiterated frequent, earlier demands for the extradition of Gülen during a speech in Ankara on Wednesday.

Turkish authorities claim Gülen, who lives in Pennsylvania, was the mastermind behind the violent coup attempt that killed over 240 people on July 15, while Gülen denies any involvement.

However, in a development that surprised many, the US State Department said on Tuesday that Turkey has formally requested the extradition of Gülen but not on issues related to the recent coup attempt, which Turkish leaders have accused him of inspiring.

“So we can confirm now that Turkey has requested the extradition of Gülen,” State Department deputy spokesman Mark Toner told a press briefing on Tuesday. US officials earlier said they were reviewing documents submitted by Turkey but were not able to say if they constituted an extradition request.

Toner told reporters the formal extradition request from Turkey was not related to the attempted coup last month but was for other issues for which Gülen was being sought by authorities in Ankara.

The Turkish government and President Erdoğan have designated the faith-based Gülen movement, inspired by Gülen and operating charities, schools and businesses around the world, as a terrorist organization and have launched a widespread crackdown on suspected members since the failed coup.

Source: Turkish Minute , August 24, 2016


Related News

Another woman faces detention at hospital just after giving birth

Elif Coşkun, who just gave birth on Monday night in Turkey’s western province of İzmir, will reportedly be taken into custody at the hospital due to her links to the faith-based Gülen movement, according to an opposition deputy.

Gov’t tries to frame Hizmet with secret statements from shady sources

The alleged government-plot against members of the faith-based Hizmet movement, disclosed in June by former Interior Minister İdris Naim Şahin, was further instigated with questionable testimonies obtained from secret witnesses, informants and anonymous complainants leading to criminal prosecutions apparently orchestrated by political authorities.

Turkey: Inspiring or insidious

With his mild, contemplative expression and neat white moustache, Mr Gulen is not an obvious figure to inspire fear. Born in 1941 in the eastern province of Erzurum, he was largely self-taught after primary school but read voraciously.

Joint mosque-cemevi project launched in Tokat

Turkey’s first-ever joint mosque-cemevi complex has been under construction in Ankara since last September. The project, which is being carried out by the CEM Foundation and the Hacı Bektaş Veli Culture, Education, Health and Research Foundation, was first suggested by Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in the US in self-imposed exile.

Turkey’s Deputy PM: 2.4 Pct Of Public Sector Employees Discharged Over Alleged Gülen Links

Turkey’s Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmuş has announced that some 2.4 percent of Turkish public sector workers have been discharged over their alleged links to the Gülen movement.

Gülen’s brother at risk of death in prison

One of the brothers of Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gülen, Kutbettin Gülen, 70 years old, who was arrested in October, is being deprived of his prescribed medication despite suffering from heart disease and high blood pressure, according to the tr724 news website.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Veteran out of social security coverage after being dismissed in post-coup purge

Family, friends losing hope as Calgary imam arrested in Turkey remains imprisoned

Why does Fethullah Gülen Scare Us?

Liberia: VP Boakai Breaks Ground for New Light-International Campus

‘Democracy’s Challenge with Turkey’ debated in Abant Platform

Gulen movement becoming victim of its own legend

It’s not about a conflict between the government and Hizmet movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News