Veteran out of social security coverage after being dismissed in post-coup purge


Date posted: April 14, 2017

Being a veteran is no relief from Turkey’s government witch hunt as M.E.Ç., a former police officer who lost his one ear and eye to clashes with the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) says he cannot benefit from a state-backed social security coverage to undergo a surgery after dismissal.

M.E.Ç. is only one of 134,200 people who got sacked as part of the government’s post-coup purge of institutions.

His post on a closed Facebook group, established by some of the purge victims, reveals that the cruel post-coup dragnet knows no boundaries when it is dealing with the state’s perceived enemies.

“Hi guys, I got heavily insured after a bombed attack by PKK at a check point on July 27, 2016. I was dismissed on Jan 1, 2017. I lost my right eye and left ear due to injuries, there are still deep burn scars on many parts of my body. I got 7 surgeries and I still need to undergo one more. But, my social security insurance ended and the police department refuse to pay my severance since I was dismissed. Do you think I can benefit from veterans’ rights? How can I get my treatment?” M.E.Ç. said.

Source: Turkey Purge , April 8, 2017


Related News

Arab Students in Turkey Facing Arbitrary Arrest

Arab students who have previously studied at universities considered by Turkish security forces to have been influenced by the U.S-based cleric Fethullah Gülen are being arrested and threatened with deportation by police. Many such students have already been deported.

Defamation campaign against Hizmet condemned by CSOs from across country

A large-scale dark propaganda war is being conducted by some circles close to the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the Hizmet movement and Gülen, particularly since a corruption scandal erupted in December of 2013 in which three Cabinet ministers’ sons, many state bureaucrats and renowned businessmen accused of giving bribes in exchange for favors were implicated.

Turkey’s AKP planning to blame Hizmet movement for Deep State’s crimes

Online government whistleblower Fuat Avni has claimed that the government is concocting a plan to blame the clandestine assassinations of the ‘deep state’ and the violent domestic acts planned by the National Intelligence Agency (MİT) on the Hizmet movement.

At least 275 including elderly woman detained over Gulen links over past day

At least 275 people were detained over their alleged links to the Gulen movement, according to Turkish media. Among the accusations raised against the detainees were to have raised money for Turkey’s post-coup victims, whether be relatives of those earlier arrested or those dismissed from their jobs.

Erdogan in Africa: Gulen and trade ties

Erdogan wants the Gulen-linked schools in Africa to be closed down, yet they are the very educational establishments which are popular with Africa’s middle class. They are an inexpensive alternative to French schools. If parents send their children to Turkish schools, it is not because the schools are Turkish, but because they employ good teachers. Africa’s middle class want good schools.

Gülen offers more explanations of his views on continuing slander

“In a democratic order, if you are not allowed to express your views, then even the minimal requirements of being a democracy are not fulfilled. Imposing a type of rule with reference to religious notions will have serious political and legal repercussions,” Fethullah Gülen said.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

[Alleged] “Coup leader” Gülen’s friendships with the Catholic Church

A Rabbi’s meeting with Hocaefendi Fethullah Gülen

It’s up to us: Prominent Muslims call for fight against IS

Inside the rural Pa. compound where an influential Muslim cleric lives in exile

Kimse Yok Mu awarded Medal of Honor in Peru

The witch-hunt reaches Turkey’s media

TURKISH FOUNDATION HIT IN ARSON GETS POLICE PROTECTION; 2ND GROUP VICTIMIZED

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News