Ambassador says US having difficulty in seeing clear criterion in anti-Gülen operations


Date posted: September 11, 2016

US Ambassador to Turkey John Bass has said the United States administration is having difficulty in understanding whether a clear criterion is being used by the Turkish government in operations against followers of the faith-based Gülen movement.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Justice and the Development Party (AKP) government have been pursuing a witch-hunt against people who are sympathetic to Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen since corruption investigations went public Dec. 17-25, 2013. The process turned into an all-out war against Gülen sympathizers following a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15 as the government accuses the movement of masterminding it despite the absence of any evidence to this effect so far.

Speaking to a group of reporters in Istanbul on Friday, Bass said although the Turkish government insists that the anti-coup measures it has taken against followers of the Gülen movement are proportionate, it is difficult see that the Turkish government is taking its actions based on a clear criterion.

Bass said the US was having difficulty in assessing whether the measures are proportionate and reasonable, warning that some of the measures could cost dearly given the number of people in society affected by them.

Despite Gülen and the movement having denied the accusation and calling for an international investigation, Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Some 86,000 people have been purged from state bodies, nearly 41,000 detained and 22,000 arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees included journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian.

According to Bass, all the people in society should be convinced that justice is served at the end of the trial of the coup suspects, adding that the trial process should be in line with the Constitution and Turkey’s international obligations.

Responding to a question on the extradition of Islamic scholar Gülen, who has been living in self-imposed exile in the US since 1999, Bass said he thinks the extradition issue will be handled by the next US administration.

Bass said speaking less about ongoing trials or potential trials shows the seriousness of the process in the US legal tradition, not the contrary.

US Vice President Joe Biden, who visited Ankara last month, said the US administration wants to cooperate with Turkey over the Turkish government’s request for the extradition of Gülen but that it is a US court that will make the decision.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 9, 2016


Related News

Erdoğan’s hate speech moves to US

The graffiti echoes Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s hate speech against the Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, with which the cultural center is affiliated.

High court accepts indictment against Cihaner and Gen. Berk

The Supreme Court of Appeals on Friday accepted an indictment concerning a former third army commander and a prosecutor, who is currently a Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy, accusing the two men of founding and running a terrorist group. 2 March 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL The action plan details a military plan to destroy […]

Suspicious deaths, suicides become common occurrence in post-coup Turkey

The number of people who die in suspicious circumstances after being linked to the July 15 coup attempt has been rising with every passing day, a systematic occurrence that is casting a shadow over official statements pointing to suicide. At least 14 people have reportedly committed suicide. The relatives of most of them claim that the detainees are not the kind of people to commit suicide. Rumours also have it that some of the detainees were killed after being subjected to torture under custody.

Turkey requests extradition of Fethullah Gülen but not for coup attempt, says US

The US has confirmed it has received a formal extradition request from Ankara for the Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen, but not over the July coup attempt the Turkish authorities has accused Gülen of orchestrating.

Hizmet schools win 64 out of 120 TÜBİTAK medals despite gov’t pressure

İstanbul’s Fatih Koleji, Ankara’s Samanyolu and Atlantik Schools and İzmir’s Yamanlar Schools, which have been put under pressure by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government, picked up 64 medals out of 120 on Wednesday in the 22nd National Science Olympiad and the 19th National Mathematics Olympiad for primary and secondary schools.

Gulen Schools Fight Provokes New Tensions in Bosnia

RODOLFO TOE Row over schools operated by alleged Turkish coup leader could spark new conflicts and aggravate divisions in Bosnia according to experts. A feud between Bosnian schools connected to Fethullah Gulen, alleged leader of the recent Turkish coup, and Turkish authorities in Ankara could exacerbate rifts within Bosnia, an international relations expert told BIRN. […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Syrian refugees worry about housing as winter approaches

Turks seek asylum in South Africa

The Fate of Turkmenistan’s Gülenists

[Event of the Week] Gülen breaks his silence, responds to allegations

Why did Fethullah Gülen visit John Paul II?

Warriors of enlightenment: pen versus bullet

Mesut Kacmaz – the abducted Turkish teacher

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News