[Event of the Week] Gülen breaks his silence, responds to allegations


Date posted: March 24, 2014

ISTANBUL

Having stayed largely silent in the face of relentless attacks amounting to hate speech by beleaguered Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who was incriminated in a massive corruption scandal, Fethullah Gülen spoke to Today’s Zaman and provided his account of how he sees the recent events in Turkey in his first interview with the Turkish media since Dec. 17.

 

The Turkish Islamic scholar, who has inspired a worldwide network active in education, charity and outreach programs, described the large-scale slander, pressure and oppression campaign his Hizmet movement is currently facing as worse than that seen during the military coup regimes witnessed by Turkey. He called on his supporters to remain patient and not to despair.

In an extensive interview that was published in Today’s Zaman as a five-part series last week, Gülen gave his thoughts on the corruption investigations, the upcoming local elections, whether he would support any political party, the slander leveled against him, the voice recordings that have been leaked onto the Internet, the release of convicts from the Ergenekon trial, the settlement process with the country’s Kurds, the rumors of a possible lawsuit against members of the Hizmet movement after the elections, Hizmet’s alleged involvement in an effort to take over the Fenerbahçe sports club, how he sees Turkey leaving the current crisis behind, his possible return to Turkey and other issues many have been wondering about. Gülen said his deep conviction of Islam will not allow him to turn a blind eye to the allegations of corruption, lamenting the fact that Erdoğan’s government has failed to take measures to tackle these allegations despite early warnings from state agencies. As for the wiretapping of phone conversations of unsuspecting citizens, Gülen said the authorities should investigate the illegal recordings, adding he had also been victimized as such. He said he was concerned by the government’s moves in the last few years to cut back on fundamental rights and freedoms in Turkey, accusing the government of not addressing the demands of Alevis, Kurds and Gezi protesters.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 23, 2014


Related News

8,480 Turkish nationals sought asylum in Germany in 2017

The number of Turkish citizens who sought asylum in Germany in 2017 totals 8,480, according to Deutsche Welle.

Turkish purges leave armed forces weak, dismissed officer warns

NATO’s supreme allied commander in Europe, General Curtis Scaparrotti, said in December that he never had any reason to suspect that Turkish officers in his teams would be involved in a coup attempt. In their absence, and without their expertise, the capacity of his staff had been “degraded,” he told the Financial Times and Deutsche Welle.

Book Review: Faith, Theology and Service in Peacebuilding

This book, bringing together key papers from three conferences, offers refreshingly varied, critically nuanced views of Gulen’s thinking and shows the profound impact hizmet has had on particular individuals and societies.

9-year-old Turkish girl drowns while trying to cross Evros River

Nine-year-old Nurefşan Teke drowned on Thursday while trying to cross the Evros River with her mother Neslihan in order to reunite with her father, who had to flee Turkey five years ago due to an ongoing government crackdown on alleged members of the Gülen movement.

Erdoğan calls for expanded witch hunt against Gülen followers

Having purged more than 150,000 people from state jobs and jailed over 50,000 due to alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Sunday called on people to inform on activities of Gülen followers, saying that if they fail to do so, they will be held responsible.

‘African wave’ makes splash at İstanbul summit

CUMALİ ÖNAL, İSTANBUL The second day of a global trade and investment summit in İstanbul saw increased interest from African companies in Turkish markets, with some major deals in the works. Organized by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), the World Trade Summit opened its doors to visitors from around the world on […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Human rights associations up in arms over deputy’s remarks on torture allegations

Niagara Foundation Peace and Dialogue Award Honorees Recognized in Chicago

Fethullah Gülen in Indonesia

Fethullah Gülen’s message to his sympathizers in the aftermath of the coup attempt

Turkish school takes US approach to get foothold in Egypt

Turkish woman returned to prison immediately after giving birth

Pak-Turk school teachers to be deported as Erdogan visits Pakistan

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News