Thunder’s Enes Kanter in London after detainment in Romania over politics


Date posted: May 20, 2017

Oklahoma City Thunder center Enes Kanter, who said he was detained in Romania on Saturday morning after his passport was seized by the Turkish government, has been allowed to leave the country and is in London, the NBA said.

The Turkish native and six-year NBA veteran said he would offer more details at a press conference on Sunday in New York.

Kanter, who turned 25 on Saturday, had said in a video posted to Twitter on Saturday morning that police officers have “been holding us here for hours” upon arrival to Bucharest on a flight from Indonesia, where he was visiting as part of a global tour for his charitable foundation.

The 6ft 11in post man, who has become a high-profile critic of Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, said his passport was “canceled” due to his political beliefs.

“The reason behind it is just, of course, my political views,” Kanter said, “and the guy who did it is Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, the president of Turkey.”

A league source told the New York Times that the NBA worked with the state department to help get Kanter to London and that the next step was to get him back to the United States.

“Today at around 1pm local time an individual arrived from Frankfurt,” Romanian border police spokesman Fabian Badila told the Times. “My colleagues established that his travel documents weren’t valid, that they had been canceled by his home country, so he wasn’t allowed to enter the country.

“At around 5pm, he left the airport on a flight to London,” Badila added. “While he was at the airport he wasn’t detained or locked up, he was allowed to wander around, but he couldn’t enter the country.”

Last year, Kanter revealed he received death threats in response to his support of exiled Muslim cleric Fethullah Gülen, Erdoğan’s political rival. The posts, written in Turkish, include phrases such as “You will die soon” beside ominous images of weapons and nooses.

Kanter spoke out against Erdoğan’s government in March after a terrorist bombing in Ankara that killed 37 people and injured more than 100, criticizing the country’s obstruction of broadcast media and access to social media.

This week, Erdoğan’s visit to the White House was marked by a clash between his security detail and protesters outside the Turkish ambassador’s residence. Nine people were hurt and two arrests were made.

“He’s attacked people in Washington. He’s a bad, bad man,” Kanter said in the video. “He is a dictator, and he’s the Hitler of our century.

“I will keep you posted guys, but just pray for us, and I’ll tell you guys what’s going on.”

Previously, Kanter, who was tabbed with the No 3 overall pick in the 2011 draft, said he was left off Turkey’s national team for EuroBasket 2015 due to his political views, a claim denied by national team coach, Ergin Ataman.

Kanter averaged 14.3 points and 6.7 rebounds in 72 games with the Thunder, who lost in the first round of the playoffs to the Houston Rockets.

 

Source: The Guardian , May 20, 2017


Related News

Kofi Annan’s remarks about Gulen Movement

Hon. Kofi Annan said: I think it is extremely important to have institutions like the Gulen Institute (Gulen Movement) bringing people together, getting them to understand that we all are in the same boat and in today’s world you cannot be secure at the expense of the other, you cannot be safe and prosperous at the expense of other.

Kaçmaz family deportation case: Lahore High Court seeks record of Civil Aviation Authority

The Lahore High Court (LHC) sought record of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) of planes arrived and departed for Turkey from Allama Iqbal International Airport on 13-14 October, on Tuesday. The record is sought to investigate the forced deportation of Kacmaz family, despite them being under UN protection.

Exiled journalist discusses crisis in Turkey

Mahir Zeynalov has the distinction of being one of the first journalists kicked out of Turkey by the government of President Tayyip Erdogan in a crackdown on the media.

Pro-Rashid Dostum Afghan security forces raided Afghan-Turk Boys High School in Shibirghan

An Afghan-Turk Boys High School was raided by the Afghan security forces under the command of Uzbek leader Abdul Rashid Dostum, controversial First Vice President of Afghanistan, early Saturday morning and detained Turkish teachers, dozens of students and their parents in order to seize the school at the request of Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan.

Online Interfaith Dialogue Workshop

Respect Graduate School, Bethlemem, PA has launched an online “Interfaith Dialogue Workshop.” The workshops aims to provide basic principles of inter-faith work and empower students with foundational skills to serve in a religiously diverse social context.

Father of three released only after wife died following heart attack

Engin Öztürk, a father of three who spent 15 months behind bars over his alleged ties to the Gulen movement, has been released only after his wife, Vina Öztürk passed away following a heart attack.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Gülen resorts to UN to investigate Turkey’s coup

Brazilian Intellectuals and Artists Defend Turk against Demands for Extradition to Turkey

London newspaper forced to shut as Erdogan allies seek vengeance

Turkish Police Wait To Detain Another Women Just Hours After Delivery

Ugandan FA Minister: Turkish schools paved the way for Turkey to reach out to Africa

Erdogan regime’s defamation of Hizmet at full throttle – UK-based academic denies recent allegations

Erdoğan using hate speech against Gülen movement, says MEP

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News