Georgian NGOs Stage Protest in Support of Arrested Turkish College Manager


Date posted: June 8, 2017

Thea Morrison

Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) have gathered at the government administration in support of Mustafa Emre Cabuk, one of the managers of the Turkish Demirel College, who was sentenced to three-month pre-extradition detention over alleged links to terrorist organization. As part of their protests they wore handcuffs while pretending to study. They say this is to demonstrate that Cabuk is being unfairly investigated considering he was only engaged in educational activities in Georgia.

The spouse of Emre Cabuk and some students also joined the protesters.

The manager of Demireli College was arrested on May 24. Tbilisi City Court ruled on May 25 that Cabuk would stay in three-month pre-extradition detention. The decision was made the day after an official visit of the Turkish prime minister and cabinet members to Georgia.

Cabuk’s lawyer Soso Baratashvili says that his client is not guilty, and he is accused of having links to the organization FETO, registered in the United States and associated with Fethullah Gulen, who is accused of orchestrating a military coup attempt in Turkey on 15 July, 2016.

Baratashvili is sure that Cabuk was detained at the request of the Turkish government.

Cabuk denies all allegations and says that he has been only carrying out educational activities during his 15-year stay in Georgia.

 

Source: Georgia Today , June 7, 2017


Related News

Erdoğan gov’t threatened to ‘wipe TUSKON off market map,’ says chairman

One of Turkey’s most influential business confederations, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON), was threatened with being “wiped off the market” by the government after TUSKON made critical statements about government policies, chairman Rızanur Meral told the media on Friday.

Kalashnikov-carrying police raid Gülen-inspired private and prep schools based on ‘reasonable suspicion’

Police carrying Kalashnikov rifles and inspectors from a number of government bodies raided 14 private and prep schools in Mardin province on Tuesday based on “reasonable suspicion” that the schools are involved in tax fraud, a move that comes as part of the government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, popularly known as the Hizmet movement.

Turkey introduces new decree law to seize all Gulen-related companies

Thanks to a new decree law released as part of the state of emergency declared late on July 20 following a failed coup, Turkey’s government is now set to seize all the Turkish companies owned by businessmen somehow linked to the US-based Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Brazil’s top court denies extradition of [Gulen-linked] Erdogan opponent

Brazil’s chief prosecutor’s office argued before the court against the extradition of Sipahi, who has lived in Brazil for 12 years, saying it had no evidence of terrorist acts committed by Hizmet.

GYV calls on government to respect judiciary amid corruption probe

The government should respect Turkey’s independent judiciary as a corruption probe that has implicated senior members of the ruling party deepens, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), whose honorary chair is Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, said in a statement published on its website on Monday.

Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen loses 72-year-old brother

Seyfullah Gülen, the brother of leading Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, died at the age of 72 on Friday morning at the private Şifa Hospital in Erzurum, where he had been receiving treatment after a heart attack.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish charity calls for increased aid to Gaza

Brussels, Paris and Berlin

Warning of another Feb. 28 on the eve of an MGK meeting

Fethullah Gulen turns coup accusations on Erdogan

Toward a party state

Poconos-Based Muslim Preacher Addresses Catholic-Muslim Dialogue Conference

Turkish Schools In Somalia

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News