The Guardian view on Turkey’s repression: stop this stalemate


Date posted: November 29, 2016

Editorial

For the past four months, Turkey’s leader has subjected his country to sweeping political purges – but there are few signs of an end soon. The new announcement that 6,000 teachers will be reinstated in their jobs after having been suspended is a welcome gesture but does little to reduce the level of tension.

Since the mid-July failed coup attempt against Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s regime, the president has orchestrated what amounts to a counter-coup. What Mr Erdoğan sees as a clean-up of the Turkish body politic looks like the biggest purge in Turkey’s modern history. More than 125,000 people have been dismissed or suspended and around 40,000 others arrested. Amnesty says there are “credible reports” of detainees being subjected to “beatings and torture, including rape”. Judges, military personnel and professors have lost their jobs.

While democracy should not have been usurped by the military, there are justifiable concerns about where Mr Erdoğan is going. A state of emergency allows him to rule by decree. Those affected are opponents of the ruling AK party. Kurdish activist groups and people suspected of links to the Fetullah Gülen network find themselves bracketed with Isis militants. Media freedom has been dramatically crushed. On 12 November the executive director of the pro-democracy newspaper Cumhuriyet was detained. Nine of its journalists had already been arrested.

Turkey’s western allies are alarmed, but against a complex geopolitical backdrop, they have chosen discretion rather than valour. After the EU parliament last week voted to freeze EU accession talks with Turkey, Mr Erdoğan lashed out by threatening to open the country’s borders to migrants heading to Europe. This is tantamount to blackmail. If the president made good it would collapse the EU-Turkey deal negotiated by Angela Merkel which saw Ankara agree to take back refugees in exchange for billions in aid, ease travel restrictions for Turks and refresh EU membership talks. The hope in European capitals is that Mr Erdoğan will not want to destroy the agreement: visa-free travel to Europe remains a popular prospect for Turks.

By fanning nationalist sentiment, Mr Erdoğan wants to reach his long-held goal of changing the Turkish constitution in a way that would enlarge and concentrate powers in the presidency. One proposal would see Mr Erdogan in office until 2029. But both the EU and Turkey’s strongman appear to suffer from a bout of magical thinking. There is currently no consensus in Europe for further rapprochement with a regime whose authoritarianism is blatantly on the rise. Nor is Mr Erdoğan ready to abandon the leverage he publicly claims to have with European governments. The lifting of visas hinges on Turkey rescinding the anti-terrorism legislation, which Mr Erdoğan uses to repress dissent – and he shows no appetite of giving up. An October deadline came and went, with no progress whatsoever.

No one, whether in Brussels or Ankara, is ready to cut off talks. The stalemate plays to both sides’ interests. This might change if Mr Erdoğan reintroduces the death penalty, as he has threatened to: the EU has said this would end accession talks. Meanwhile, the grinding machine of political repression continues in Turkey, whose rapprochement with Vladimir Putin’s Russia has become a stark new feature of its foreign policy – with western allies left to contemplate their lack of sway.

Source: The Guardian , November 28, 2016


Related News

Kyrgyz president: Those calling Turkish teachers terrorists should see a doctor

Kyrgyz President Almazbek Atambayev has said those who view as terrorists teachers working at the Gülen-linked SAPAT educational institutions in the country need treatment and should see a doctor.

‘Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons’

Erdoğan has believed that Mr. Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement are the only ones left that could challenge his power and prevent him from becoming president.

Erdogan Purge Against Gulenists Could Prove Lucrative

The power struggle between the Turkish state and the Fethullah Gulen-led Hizmet Movement continues to reverberate in Turkey. The number detained, arrested, jailed, and dismissed from their jobs since the July 15 coup attempt has reached well over 100,000, 40,000 of whom have been detained on suspicion of having links with Hizmet. One third of the highest-ranking armed forces officers have been dismissed. Almost every major institution—military, judiciary, media, education, business—has been affected.

A Mother and Son Flee Istanbul for San Antonio

Before the live feed was cut from the Zaman building on that Friday in March, I watched police shoot rubber bullets into the crowd gathered to protest the paper’s seizure. Bloodied, the crowd retreated, still screaming for free speech but knowing hope was gone.

Gov’t ban on charity Kimse Yok Mu hits orphans

Thousands of orphans and needy people around the world whose lives depend on the aid they receive from charities such as Kimse Yok Mu (Is Anybody There?), the largest volunteer and global aid organization based in Turkey, are at risk of being affected by the Turkish government’s restrictions on the charitable association.

Amnesty International: Malaysia’s extradition puts three Turkish men at risk of torture

“By sending these three men suspected of links to Fethullah Gülen back to Turkey, the Malaysian authorities have put their liberty and well-being at risk. They have already suffered a harrowing ordeal, being arbitrarily detained and held incommunicado. Now, they have been extradited to Turkey, where they could face arbitrary detention, unfair trial and a real risk of torture.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Laotian President Sayasone hosts Turkish school officials

Archbishop Tutu receives Gülen peace award

Kimse Yok Mu and Time to Help partnership for Kobani

What to know about the group Erdogan is blaming for Turkey’s coup

Teachers detained on coup charges while casting votes in referendum

Erdoğan and AK Party deputies split over hate speech against Hizmet

ALDE’s Watson says illiberal state leads to unjust action against Gülen followers

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News