Municipality shuts down three reading halls in Adıyaman

Sema-Der head Mustafa Tekin speaks to reporters on Friday. (Photo: Cihan)
Sema-Der head Mustafa Tekin speaks to reporters on Friday. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: February 23, 2015

Adıyaman Municipality has reportedly closed down three reading halls established to help educate the children of needy and poor families, using scores of police vehicles.

The reading halls were set up by the Sema Education Association (Sema-Der) established by Turkish schools affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, in cooperation with the Social Support Project (SODES). The reading halls had been the target of the municipality’s negative propaganda but the court decided to stop the implementation of plans to shut down the reading halls, a move that was later hindered by the authorities. A similar case is being tried at the Gaziantep Administrative Court, and the reading halls have been closed by municipal police officers before a final court decision.

Similar events also occurred at İstanbul’s Fatih Education and Culture House, Yunus Emre Education and Culture House in Yeşilyurt and Vefa Education and Culture House in Cumhuriyet. The municipal police officers reportedly used the assistance of a locksmith to open the doors and confiscated all the equipment of the reading halls in each case.

Mehmet Canpolat, a lawyer for Sema-Der, has called the developments an infringement on legal rights, as there been no court decision to shut down the reading halls. Sema-Der head Mustafa Tekin has said what happened to the association’s reading halls is a continuation of the government’s continuing pressure and crackdown on institutions affiliated with the Gülen movement. Tekin said that the association will use legal means to assert their rights.

Source: Today's Zaman , February 20, 2015


Related News

Is this corruption scandal backed by the US?

The government has developed a two-stage strategy in order to manage this scandal. The first stage was to blame foreign powers. The second stage was to declare the Gülen community as the representative of these foreign powers in the country and thereby put the blame on the Gülen community.

Monitoring group documents 53 suspicious deaths since coup attempt

The Sweden-based monitoring group documented in a recent report 53 cases of what it described suspicious deaths both in and outside of Turkish prisons after the coup attempt.

When the masks have fallen

It seems that the judiciary will be forced to investigate the claims of a so-called illegal organization, and sham trials will be performed to intimidate the Hizmet movement and cover up the corruption claims that become public on Dec. 17, 2013, by taking tactics from the former Ergenekon supporters nested within the army, the bureaucracy, business circles, the media and the judiciary.

Ergenekon’s coup-lovers owe an apology to the Hizmet movement

Since the start of the Ergenekon trials, some of the suspects and their supporters constantly, steadfastly and fiercely argued that the Ergenekon cases were based on fabricated evidence prepared by the Hizmet movement, claiming that the defendants were actually innocent. They now owe an apology to the Hizmet movement.

More emphasis should be given to improving students’ functional skills

Tens of educators, bureaucrats and representatives of civil society organizations and private education foundations from Turkey and 15 other countries, have said the Turkish education system should not only focus on transferring information but also on improving students’ functional skills and capabilities.

Gülen and the AK Party: A common quest for democracy or something more? (1)

Mehmet Kalyoncu* Given the variety of opinions on the subject, it is obvious that the question of what kind of relationship exists between the Gülen movement and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) intrigues not only foreign observers of Turkey but also some Turks. While foreign observers categorically associate the Gülen movement (aka Hizmet […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Awards from Romanian Prime Minister to Turkish School Students

Turkish doctors leave country to volunteer at Uganda’s Nile hospital

Ethio-Turkish Schools receive “Certificate of Appreciation’ from African Union

Opposition journalists speak at U.N. panel on Turkey’s human rights record

Fresh resignation in Turkey’s ruling AKP over graft scandal

Austrian politician documents Turkish surveillance abroad [on Gulen movement]

Teacher detained just after giving birth, handcuffed to bed at hospital

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News