Municipality illegally demolishes building in İstanbul


Date posted: April 19, 2014

 

ISTANBUL

Workers from the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality have demolished a small, prefabricated shelter on land that belongs to the Hizmet-affiliated Mehtap Education Foundation, despite the lack of official permission to carry out the demolition.

The incident came amid mounting signs of a possible government crackdown on the faith-based Hizmet movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan vowed to root out the “parallel structure” from state institutions. Erdoğan lays the blame for the Dec. 17 corruption probe that implicated some of his close associates and his own family on Hizmet, a claim firmly rejected by the movement.

Accompanied by municipal police, a group of 50-60 workers — including laborers and engineers from the Boğaziçi Zoning Directorate of the İstanbul Metropolitan Municipality — visited the empty land where a prefabricated shelter had been installed for a guard and his family to safeguard the area.

“We will settle accounts with ‘parallellists,’ we will destroy their buildings,” the police said, according to witnesses and the guard. Without offering any legitimate explanation, municipal officials decided to demolish the shelter, and construction equipment was used to destroy it. Mehtap Education Foundation head Mustafa Başaran told Today’s Zaman that he had asked municipal police for an official document that approves the demolition.

“Instead of showing any official document approving the demolition, they just threatened me. They told me to refer my complaint to another authority, whichever I prefer,” said Başaran, who appeared stunned and bewildered by inexplicable behavior of the municipal officials from the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

“To demolish a building, there must be an official decision, and the foundation should have been informed by the authorities before they carried out the demolition, according to the procedure. This was not the case here,” Başaran said.

He said that the foundation would file a complaint against the municipal officials.

Source: Todays Zaman , April 18, 2014


Related News

CHP: Anti-Hizmet ops were part of agreement between Erdoğan, military

Main opposition Republican People’s Democratic Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Barış Yarkadaş has said the release of suspects in the historic Ergenekon trial and the government-initiated operations against the Hizmet movement were part of an agreement between President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the Turkish military.

Police raid Gülen-inspired schools in Adana despite ministry regulation

The Adana Police Department early on Thursday coordinated with inspectors from several ministries and other institutions to conduct raids on private schools, dormitories and prep schools established by volunteers inspired by the Gülen movement, despite regulations stating that only the Education Ministry may perform such inspections.

PM Erdoğan calls on his supporters to boycott [Hizmet’s] prep schools

Calling on his supporters to boycott prep schools, Erdoğan took another swipe at the Hizmet movement, which, according to him, pulled the trigger of the recent corruption operation.However, lawyer of Fethullah Gülen denied any involvement in the recent graft probe, strongly rejected any link to the case.

Man dies in Maritsa River while fleeing persecution in Turkey

The body of Mustafa Zümre, a computer engineer has been found in the Maritsa River 78 days after he went missing. He had arrest warrant issued due to alleged Gülen links, reportedly went to the Umurca village of Edirne’s Meriç district along with his wife and two children on Dec. 12 to cross the Maritsa River to reach Greece in order to escape the witch-hunt against the Gülen followers in Turkey.

Already feeling unsafe in Turkey

Erdogan’s honor overrode freedom of speech in Turkey and Mahir got deported because of a simple allegation — that he’d posted critical tweets that targeted Turkey. No, no — I mean Erdoğan’s Turkey.

WSJ, Judiciary, Gulen Movement, and the Government

The news I read in the Wall Street Journal (WSJ) took me by great surprise. Supposedly, (former Gen. Staff) Ilker Basbug’s imprisonment for life was a message from the Gulen Movement to Erdogan, saying, “Beware! You cannot seek resolution on the Kurdish issue without our permission.” The claim that there was an organizational grouping of members of […]

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Speaking Truth to Power in Turkey: An Interview with Ekrem Dumanli

Celebrating Turkish Cultural Day

13 criteria Erdogan regime uses to determine Gulen supporters are terrorists

Int’l language festival students given high-level welcome in Australia

Fethullah Gulen: Erdogan is not Fit to be President

Another new mother detained in Turkey over Gülen links

Pakistani Govt deports abducted Turkish teacher and family despite UN protections

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News