Visually impaired journalist sent to prison over Gülen links


Date posted: July 10, 2017

Visually impaired Turkish journalist Cüneyt Arat was sent to prison late on Monday due to his alleged links to the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

According to several tweets posted by a friend of the disabled journalist, when Arat learned that a prison sentence that was handed down on Feb. 22, approved by an upper court on Sunday, he turned himself in to the police later the same day.

Arat was sentenced on Feb. 22 to 6 years 3 months in prison due to his alleged links to the Gülen movement. He was also given one year, 10 months and 15 days jail time for promoting a “terrorist” organization.

“I was given 6 years, 3 months over movement membership. I was also given 1 year, 10months and 15 days for [Gülen] propaganda. I am acquitted of coup involvement accusations.” Arat said in tweets he posted in February.

In a related case, Arat was also arrested on July 21, 2016, for social media posts that allegedly praise the Gülen movement. The disabled journalist has been under house arrest wearing an electronic ankle bracelet since then.

Source: Turkey Purge , July 10, 2017


Related News

US under Trump still highly unlikely to extradite Gülen

National War College professor Taşpınar says extradition remains unlikely because Ankara has presented no concrete evidence directly implicating him in the coup attempt. “I think what [Washington] should do is to basically tell the Turks they need a smoking gun. They need much clearer evidence, which is not there yet,” he says

History of politically motivated assault on Bank Asya

The politically motivated operation aimed at taking over Bank Asya is one that has unfolded step by step, marked by public statements from President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan as well as other top Justice and Development Party (AK Party) officials.

Erdogan pushes further to replace Gülen schools in Africa to spread his ideology

A Turkish state-run educational foundation has signed memorandums of understanding with 26 countries in Africa to take control of schools belonging to people from the faith-based Gülen movement. The Maarif Foundation is claimed to have been established to spread President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s Islamist ideology abroad.

THY’s Topçu defends embargo on papers, defamation campaign

Turkish Airlines (THY) Chairman Hamdi Topçu has confirmed an embargo on the distribution of dailies Bugün, Taraf, Zaman and Today’s Zaman on THY flights and has admitted having withdrawn a huge amount of cash from Bank Asya in an alleged attempt to force the bank out of business.

UNESCO Global Monitoring Report and Turkish Schools

The Turkish schools around the world offers practical perspectives and practices in redefining “the human” and his needs, reintegrating him into society, overcoming the physical and methodological obstacles to education and leading a robust performance in the path to global peace. Although the report correlates the education crisis at first glance with poverty and social background, education remains as the number-one problem, in a varying extent, in the developed countries as well. What needs to be done is to convey how the Turkish schools are tackling or minimizing many educational problems and, finally, to find out what aspects of the schools’ methods can apply to public schools.

Why did Turkey seize Bank Asya?

In September 2014, in an address to the Turkish Industry and Business Association, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan made the following statement: “No effort is underway to cause the bankruptcy of a bank. That bank is already bankrupt. They are carrying water by hand to keep it afloat.”

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

A Year Ago Today: Teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu died of torture on his 13th day in police custody

The Gülen Movement and human rights values in the Muslim world

Deputy PM threatens Taraf daily, Baransu for covering controversial MGK docs

91-year-old philanthropist targeted in witch-hunt operation in Erzurum passes away

Pakistani students compete to advance to final of Turkish Olympiads

Political life and NGOs in Turkey: Journalists and Writers Foundation

Turkish witch-hunt against the Gulen movement lacks one thing: Evidence

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News