Deputy PM threatens Taraf daily, Baransu for covering controversial MGK docs

Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc
Deputy Prime Minister of Turkey Mr. Bulent Arinc


Date posted: December 4, 2013

FATMA DİŞLİ ZIBAK, İSTANBUL

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç on Monday called on prosecutors to take legal action against the Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu, who last week revealed a controversial National Security Council (MGK) document indicating that Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) signed on to a planned crackdown on the Hizmet (Gülen) movement in 2004.

The two-page document was signed by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, then-Foreign Minister Abdullah Gül, then-President Ahmet Necdet Sezer, Cabinet members, Chief of General Staff Gen. Hilmi Özkök, Land Forces Commander Aytaç Yalman, Naval Forces Commander Adm. Özden Örnek, Air Forces Commander Gen. İbrahim Fırtına and Gen. Şener Eruygur.

Speaking to reporters following a Cabinet meeting, Arınç said the MGK documents are confidential and that it is not legally acceptable and publish them.

“Somebody got a copy of MGK decision No. 481 dated Aug. 25, 2004, and published it. According to the Turkish Penal Code [TCK], National Intelligence Organization [MİT] law, press law and the Radio and Television Supreme Council [RTÜK] law, publishing information that is confidential requires punishment. The person who has done this may face punitive measures. Let our prosecutors think about this,” said Arınç.

Concerning whether the controversial MGK decision was put into action, he said it has never been put into action and was treated as null and void.

The document asked the government to develop an action plan to pursue the MGK’s recommendations and instructed the Prime Ministry Implementation and Monitoring Coordination Council (BUTKK) to coordinate the ministries and monitor whether the steps were being implemented.

The MGK decision urges the Foreign Ministry, Interior Ministry and National Intelligence Organization (MİT) to closely monitor and report on the activities of the Gülen movement at home and abroad. It advises the government to instruct the Interior Ministry and Ministry of Education to investigate and monitor schools affiliated with the Gülen movement and report their activities to the BTK.

“MGK decisions are advisory and they are not binding,” Arınç said in further remarks.

Meanwhile, Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy chairman Sezgin Tanrıkulu on Tuesday criticized Deputy Prime Minister Arınç over his remarks about Taraf and journalist Baransu.

Releasing a written statement, he said when the government has a responsibility to maintain transparency in its affairs, it cannot refer press organizations, columnists or journalists who perform their duties to prosecutors.

He said Arınç’s referral of Baransu to prosecutors shows how problematic his understanding of  freedom of the press is.

Baransu: I am not afraid of threats

In remarks to Today’s Zaman, journalist Baransu said it is impossible for him to be afraid and take a step back from what he is doing due to the threatening statements of the deputy prime minister.

“I am just doing my job,” he said.

According to Baransu, what the government should do is to see which documents they put their signatures on, hence what crimes they have committed rather than threatening journalists.

He said he had received similar threats from the members of Ergenekon, a shadowy crime network that has links within the state and plotted to topple the government, and top military commanders such as Gen. Yaşar Büyükanıt and Gen. İlker Başbuğ and he was even prosecuted but still was not scared by their threats.

Baransu and Taraf have frequently become the targets of the Turkish military for exposing coup plots and controversial military action plans over the past years that resulted in the imprisonment of dozens of active duty and retired military members including former Chief of General Staff Gen. Başbuğ.

The journalist said it is very common for those holding state power in their hands to try to exercise this power in order to protect themselves, but he said he thinks it is a shameful act to try to frighten a journalist with such threats.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 3, 2013


Related News

Warning of another Feb. 28 on the eve of an MGK meeting

National Security Council (MGK) will convene. Turkey is going through a grave security crisis due to the situation in Syria and Iraq, and the escalation of domestic terror. The road map, the peshmerga corridor, martyred security forces…

Albanian president to Erdoğan: Turkish schools pose no threat

In the latest round of a debate surrounding the Turkish schools in Albania, President Bujar Nishani dismissed Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s request to shut schools down because of their links to the faith-based Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement.

RTÜK issues fines to intimidate Samanyolu TV

The Supreme Board of Radio and Television (RTÜK) has been harassing TV networks that it deems to be anti-government, and Samanyolu TV has become one of its major targets. The fines have mostly come following the Dec. 17, 2013 corruption operation, in which several businessmen close to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the sons of three ministers were detained over corruption charges.

Who is the winner?

The Gülen community is a movement of volunteers. The real reason for the row is not the community’s attempt to meddle in politics. It is due to its sheer size and public image. As he did with other groups or communities, Erdoğan sought to take full control of the Hizmet movement in an effort to consolidate his power. Following the defeat of the military tutelage, the government saw a convergence of power. However, the Hizmet movement was not a piece of cake which it could swallow easily. The government had previously purged itself of many bureaucrats who are close to the community.

Anonymous witnesses fail to identify suspects they earlier tipped off as Gulenist

An anonymous witness in Denizli failed to identify any of the 145 suspects, earlier accused of being followers of the Gulen movement, during a court hearing on Oct. 30. The judge in charge loudly read the names, however Aslan did not remember any of them. The judge asked: “Did you tip off about some names during your statement to the prosecutor, is that right?”

Erdogan critic calls jailing of his mother and brother ‘perverse’ and ‘politically motivated’

A high-profile critic of the Turkish government has described the jailing of his 75-year-old mother and brother to a combined 91-year sentence as “ludicrous” and “perverse”. Akin Ipek said the ‘human rights abuses’ against his family were unacceptable in any civilised country.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Alliance for Shared Values Statement on Detention of Turkish Nationals in Kosovo and Their Imminent Transfer to Turkey

Syracuse celebrates Turkish culture, cuisine at City Hall event

Best robot design award for Turkish school students in NY competition

PACE concerned over lack of domestic remedy for purge victims in Turkey

Bank Asya mandates Goldman for strategic partnership

Fethullah Gulen’s Message regarding Rumors Circulated in Turkish Media about a Second Coup Attempt

The dangers of demonization [of Hizmet movement]

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News