Ugandan opinion leader refutes news report which defames Hizmet Movement


Date posted: March 6, 2014

UGANDA

A prominent opinion leader in Uganda commented on a news report which was published by a pro-government daily, Yeni Şafak, which defames Turkish schools established by entrepreneurs affiliated with Hizmet Movement by quoting him.

Yeni Şafak daily published a piece on Turkish schools in Uganda. The daily claimed that the schools give priority to the Christian students and the claim was made by Kaliisa. Speaking to the Cihan news agency, Dr. Anas Abdunoor Kaliisa said he did not give such a statement to Yeni Şafak and such a slander is not unacceptable. “They asked me some questions about Hizmet Movement. I stated that Turkish schools contribute a lot to education of Uganda. These schools compete with most successful schools here [Uganda]. That is what I told to the newspaper,” noted Kaliisa.

“How a person who sends his three children to these schools would do such a wrongful thing? This is unacceptable. What I tell those people [Yeni Şafak] is that they should not abuse people in their own fight,” added Kaliisa.

Around 1,500 students receive education by six Turkish schools which have been operating in Uganda for 15 years.
The Hizmet movement, a faith-based movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, administers a wide network of schools and education facilities in more than 120 countries around the world.

Source: Cihan , March 6, 2014


Related News

Hakan Yavuz: Der Spiegel’s inflammatory, biased journalism on Turkey story shocked me

A Turkish-American professor has slammed German Der Spiegel’s what he called “inflammatory and biased” reporting in its article about the movement associated with Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. “Reading today’s article on the Gülen movement was a real shock for me,” Yavuz, who is a professor at the University of Utah, told Today’s Zaman, referring […]

Top court annuls controversial law on prep school closure

Turkey’s Constitutional Court has annulled a controversial law seeking to close down dershanes, or private preparatory schools, in a landmark ruling that will influence the lives and futures of millions of students, parents and teachers across the country.

Wiretapped recordings erased on orders of new police chief

Earlier this year, claims emerged in the media that police officials in the Diyarbakır Police Department who are members of the Hizmet movement carried out a number of illegal wiretaps since 2008. The prosecutor, unconvinced by the police department’s response, began to examine the circumstances surrounding the whereabouts of the recordings. He questioned several police officers from the department and found that the recordings had been erased on the order of Police Chief Halis Böğürcü, who was appointed head of the Diyarbakır Police Department in early January.

Extraditing Gulen and other dark conspiracies

Despite his pressures, Turkish prosecutors have not agreed to write an indictment against Gulen. On the other hand, Gulen has already been tried in absentia between 1999-2008 for all the accusations now recycled and repeated by Erdogan. The Kemalist military establishment was very powerful at the time and they were almost in full control of the state but they still could not produce concrete evidence against Gulen.

Turkey detains Mozambican software developer over links to Gülen movement

Helton Silva Malambane, a software developer from Mozambique who previously worked with the now-shut-down Fatih University, was detained by police at his residence in İstanbul over links to the Gülen movement, whose sympathizers the government accuses of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15. Twenty-seven-year-old Malambane was detained after police received anonymous tips about him.

After The Coup Attempt, A Crackdown In Turkey

Once considered a beacon of hope for the Middle East, Turkey has been rapidly backsliding on issues of democracy, freedom of the press, and human rights. One would have thought this downfall hit bottom on July 15, when a bloody coup was attempted, leaving behind more than 250 dead.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

AKP deputy: “Imprisoned Gulen supporters and PKK members will be massacred by furious mobs”

Orphanage school principal: Accusing Kimse Yok Mu of terror endangers Kyrgyz orphans

Misrepresentation of Fethullah Gülen in English-language media

Turkey Continues Its Witch Hunt Against Gülen Followers

Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (2)

German government says Gülen movement not involved in any illegal acts

Pacifica Institute Utah hosts ‘Love is a Verb’ screening for interfaith season

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News