Wiretapped recordings erased on orders of new police chief


Date posted: May 20, 2014

DIYARBAKIR

Despite claims that recordings of conversations wiretapped in a Diyarbakır investigation had been erased by members of the “parallel structure,” in the course of another investigation it has come out that the recordings were actually erased on the orders of a police chief who was recently appointed to the province.

“Parallel structure” is a veiled reference that Justice and Development Party (AK Party) officials use to refer to members of the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The AK Party, which has been fighting a major corruption and bribery investigation since mid-December of last year that implicates several of its former ministers and incumbent officials, claims that the probe is the work of the “parallel structure” with the intention of overthrowing the Turkish government. According to the party, the “parallel structure” nested within the police force and the judiciary carried out illegal wiretaps. The party has, however, provided no evidence to support this allegation.

Earlier this year, claims emerged in the media that police officials in the Diyarbakır Police Department who are members of the Hizmet movement carried out a number of illegal wiretaps since 2008, but erased the recordings recently when they feared that they would be caught. The Diyarbakır Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has launched an investigation into the claims.

The truth was revealed earlier this month when a local court hearing a separate case needed the recordings of some conversations wiretapped by the Diyarbakır Police Department. A prosecutor involved in the case asked the police department to submit those recordings to the court, but the police said the recordings had already been erased. When the prosecutor asked the department how they could have been erased when by law they are supposed to be kept for a specific period of time, the department said that they had been erased by members of the “parallel structure.” The prosecutor, unconvinced by the police department’s response, began to examine the circumstances surrounding the whereabouts of the recordings. He questioned several police officers from the department and found that the recordings had been erased on the order of Police Chief Halis Böğürcü, who was appointed head of the Diyarbakır Police Department in early January.

The AK Party government, frustrated by the corruption and bribery investigation, was quick to respond by reassigning public officials en masse. As many as 20,000 police officers and hundreds of members of the judiciary as well as dozens of bureaucrats in public institutions have been reassigned since Dec. 17, 2013, when the graft investigation became public. The fact that no investigation was conducted before those officials were reassigned and that most of the officials were not given any explanation for their reassignment has led to comments that the government is carrying out a witch hunt against its critics.

As many as 1,500 police officers at the Diyarbakır Police Department have been reassigned since Dec. 17, 2013.

Some of the wiretapped recordings erased on Böğürcü’s orders include conversations legally recorded by the Diyarbakır Police Department as part of investigations into radical religious groups and criminal groups engaged in drug smuggling.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 20, 2014


Related News

Why do I take sides

The faith-based social movement Gülen has inspired as one of the major civil society forces in Turkey which, through educational, media, business and social solidarity institutions, promotes democratization, socio-economic development and integration with the global community.

Strategic defamation by Stratfor

Abdulhamit Bilici, March 18, 2012 (originally published on September 2, 2010) A few weeks ago, an American researcher by the name of Reva Bhalla came to visit us upon a reference from a good friend of ours. He told us that he was researching political inclinations in Turkey on behalf of the Stratfor intelligence firm. […]

Hizmet rejects claims it is linked to graft probe, says democracy is antidote to chaos

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), whose honorary chairman is Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has categorically rejected accusations that it is linked to the corruption and bribery investigation that has rocked Turkey for nearly a month, urging everyone to avoid language that only deepens the “dangerous polarization” in the country.

Will you overthrow the government or not?

This is a question no junta general asked his superior or counterpart. It was asked by a “journalist”: Emin Çölaşan. We are in 1997, in the aftermath of the Feb. 28 coup. MARKAR ESAYAN, Friday February 24, 2012 A short introduction for the uninitiated: On Feb. 28, 1997, as a result of a political crisis […]

Former deputy Uras: Erdoğan struck deal with Ergenekon against Gülen movement

A former member of Parliament, academic Ufuk Uras claimed during an interview with a daily on Monday that President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had made a deal with the leaders of the Ergenekon clandestine organization during his fight against the faith-based Gülen movement after the Dec. 17 and 25 graft investigations became public at the end of 2013.

Power struggle for the state or deep rift about Turkey?

As an external observer, I see a profound rift having taken place between Erdoğan — more than anybody else in the AKP — and the Hizmet movement; and that has much less to do with the power struggle than a resistance to another massive, individual attempt to accumulate power in one person.What has defined Erdoğan’s way with various social segments since 2011 is to alienate, antagonize, suppress and devour. So was his pattern with the dissident Kurds, Alevis, leftists, liberals and now Hizmet.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

PM Basindawa opens new campus of Turkish-Yemeni School

Don’t be fooled by Hizmet conspiracy theories

Dialogue Platform’s Statement on Developments in Turkey

Turkish evidence for Gulen extradition pre-dates coup attempt

Hate Speech is Undermining Turkey’s Fragile Democracy

Swoboda accuses Erdoğan of using Hizmet movement as a pretext

Turkish entrepreneurs open eye hospital in Senegal

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News