Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (2)

Emre Uslu
Emre Uslu


Date posted: January 6, 2012

At that time, I knew only a few journalists who claimed Şık’s arrest was not because of his book but because of inconsistencies in the story he had told the judge. He claimed not to know any such people, but there was evidence he may have known and had relationships with Ergenekon suspects.

Emre Uslu, Friday 30 December 2011***

One should admit that the pro-Ergenekon network worked very hard to build support in Western capitals. Now there are many people in the West who think that the Ergenekon trial has imprisoned anti-Justice and Development Party (AK Party) individuals not because of their guilt, but because of their opposition to the AK Party government.

Within Turkey’s ultranationalist camps, supporters of the Kemalist system have already extended their support to the Ergenekon network. So there is a sizable community in Turkey that believes whatever is said by a suspect in the Ergenekon case.

Journalist Ahmet Şık’s arrest was further exaggerated because — critics of the Odatv trial allege — he was writing a book against the Gülen movements’ influence on the police force and had been arrested to prevent his book from being published. Many intellectuals really believed this campaign when the prosecutors, searching for the many draft copies of the book distributed among different people, found one at Odatv. Other copies were found in possession of people who, according to an earlier testimony from Şık, had not been given any copies.

Banning the publication of a book expectedly created reactions and false impressions of Şık’s prosecution, as if Ahmet Şık had been arrested because of writing this book. At that time, I knew only a few journalists who claimed Şık’s arrest was not because of his book but because of inconsistencies in the story he had told the judge. He claimed not to know any such people, but there was evidence he may have known and had relationships with Ergenekon suspects.

The pro-Ergenekon network found a window of opportunity in the argument that Ahmet Şık had been arrested because of his book and successfully internationalized this argument. Ahmet Şık’s book has become a symbol of attempts to prove the Ergenekon trials are nothing but a trial to put Justice and Development Party (AK Party) opposition behind bars, as if his book would reveal the dirty laundry of the AKP, the Gülen movement and the police. In fact, there is nothing new in the book that has not previously been discussed by other authors. Thus, Ahmet Şık’s book was leaked to the Internet and millions of copies have been downloaded.

A few months ago, the book was published and is on shelves now, but there is not even a single case against the book. I think those who howled that Ahmet Şık was arrested because of his book need to explain, especially to their Western audiences, why, if it was about the book Mr. Şık had been arrested, the publisher has not been put behind bars. Forget about the publisher being charged — why don’t you share with your Western audiences some of the secrets you claimed the book would reveal.

One cannot explain why the publisher hasn’t faced any criminal charges. It is on shelves and in fact is a bestseller due to the unofficial PR campaign conducted by those who claimed the book was the reason for Şık’s arrest. Simply, the pro-Egenekon camp used the book as a means to spread their ideas and deceive their audiences in the West. This is yet another simple fact that Western audiences should be aware of regarding pro-Ergenekon campaigns.

Source: Today’s Zaman http://www.todayszaman.com/columnist-267027-ahmet-siks-book-and-ergenekons-media-campaign.html

*** Emre Uslu’s first article was published originally with the title “Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (1)” and then was updated without any number in the title but with some addition. We are publishing here the addition as “Ahmet Şık’s book and Ergenekon’s media campaign (2)”.


Related News

What I Saw In Turkey

Everywhere in Turkey, people are talking about the clampdown on the Turkish media. The situation is quite dire. At Samanyolu, a TV station, has 14 broadcast channels in Turkey, English, Arabic and Kurdish and dozens of radio stations and popular news portals. Foreign news chief, Adnan Tokkapi, said its general manager, Hidayet Karaca, has been held in prison without conviction since December 2014.

From Islamophobia to ‘Hizmet-phobia’

An important person who was praising an intellectual in Northwest Africa said, “I wish we [Turkey] had such scholars with far-reaching foresight.” He was right, because the intellectual that he mentioned provides an excellent example for others in his works and lifestyle. But he was also wrong in a sense, because we have several scholars […]

Gulen-linked school manager released on bail by Tbilisi court

The manager of a private school linked to the exiled Turkish preacher Fethullah Gülen was released on bail by a Tbilisi court on Monday. Mustafa Emre Cabuk was arrested in May, 2017 in what appeared to be a case of pressure exerted by Turkey on Georgian authorities to crack down on institutions associated with Fethullah Gülen.

EU calls on Turkey to Investigate abduction cases targeting Gülen Movement

The European Union (EU) on Thursday said it was closely following developments in Turkey including the abductions of people from the Gülen movement, reminding Ankara of its responsibility to investigate these reported cases.

WSJ: Turks fleeing Erdogan fuel new influx of refugees to Greece

Around 14,000 people crossed the Evros frontier from January through September of this year according to the Greek police. Around half of them were Turkish citizens. Many are judges, military personnel, civil servants or business people who have fallen under Turkish authorities’ suspicion, had their passports canceled and chosen an illegal route out.

Paralyzed by ill-treatment in Sivas prison, Turkish police officer dies at 33

Kadir Eyce, a 33-year-old police officer who was jailed due to alleged links to the Gülen movement, has died several weeks after he was released from prison due to health problems. According to photos and tweets posted by family members on Twitter, Eyce had been denied food and water in jail, thereby losing 45 kilograms in three months.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen writes for Politico Europe: Muslims have a unique responsibility in fighting terror

Turks in US Ditto: Dialogue

The dangers of demonization [of Hizmet movement]

US Cannot ‘Suspend’ Constitution for Gulen Extradition – Ex-Prosecutor

Fortunately, we have not closed Gülen schools

Another dismissed gov’t employee abducted in black van in Turkey’s capital: wife

Detained woman, newborn baby transferred to prison 1,291 km away from home

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News