Turkish gov’t detains more than 70 women over their alleged financial support for jailed Gülen followers


Date posted: March 28, 2018

The Turkish government detained more than 70 women on Wednesday evening in five provinces across Turkey as part of a Balıkesir-based investigation targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement.

According to a report by online news outlet Kronos, 600 police officers took part in the operations led by Balıkesir Police Director Cengiz Zeybek and conducted raids to the 63 addresses in İzmir, Manisa, Uşak, Denizli and Balıkesir provinces. Police detained more than 70 women over their alleged links to the Gülen movement during the raids.

It was claimed that the detained women have been helping financially to the relatives of those who were jailed or escaped from the persecution of the Turkish government over their alleged links to the movement. The detained women were allegedly visiting frequently the families of the victims of the Turkish government led by autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan which has conducted a massive post-coup witch hunt campaign against the alleged members of the Gülen movement.

On Tuesday, at least 13 women were also detained by police over their alleged ties to the Gülen movement in a Karaman-based investigation. According to reports in Turkish media, Karaman Chief Prosecutor’s Office issued detention warrants for 18 women over their participation in the Gülen movement’s activities on March 22. Police carried out operations in 11 provinces and have detained 13 of them so far, according to media reports on Tuesday. Out of those 13 detained, 5 were later released on judicial control.

Women who have been jailed in an unprecedented crackdown have been subjected to torture and ill-treatment in detention centers and prisons as part of the government’s systematic campaign of intimidation and persecution of critics and opponents, a report titled “Jailing Women In Turkey: Systematic Campaign of Persecution and Fear released in April 2017 by SCF revealed.

In several cases, women were detained in the hospital immediately after the delivery of a baby and before they had a chance to recover. Many women were jailed as they were visiting their imprisoned husbands, leaving the children stranded in the ensuing chaos.

Turkey survived a controversial military coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed 249 people. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkey has suspended or dismissed more than 150,000 judges, teachers, police and other civil servants since July 2016. Turkey’s interior minister announced on December 12, 2017 that 55,665 people have been arrested. On December 13, the Justice Ministry announced that 169,013 people have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.

A total of 48,305 people were arrested by courts across Turkey in 2017 over their alleged links to the Gülen movement, Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on Dec. 2, 2017. “The number of detentions is nearly three times higher,” Soylu told a security meeting in İstanbul and claimed that “even these figures are not enough to reveal the severity of the issue.”

 

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , Marh 29, 2018


Related News

Purge-victim businessman dies of cancer days after being released from prison

Engin Erol, 41, a Turkish businessman who was jailed three years ago on allegations of membership in the Gülen group, died on Thursday evening in a hospital from cancer, which was not treated properly in the prison where he was held until the last stage of his illness.

Turkish govt begins massive deportation of Nigerian students

The Turkish government is in a drive to deport all Nigerian students at universities linked to Fethullah Gulen’s Hizmet movement. Gulen is an Islamic cleric whom President Erdogan of Turkey considers as his strongest rival. After the botched July 15 coup, Erdogan launched a massive crackdown on the investments of Gulen’s followers. He blamed Gulen for the coup, but he has denied the allegation.

3 detained Turkish educators and their families handed over to Turkey by Gabon

Three Turkish educators and their families who were arbitrarily detained in Libreville, the capital city of Gabon, were handed over to Turkish officials and taken to İstanbul on Sunday morning.

History teacher gives birth to her third child in prison

Under arrest as part of an investigation into the Gulen movement since Nov 3, 2016, history teacher Özlem Meci gave birth to her third child in prison. Özlem delivered her third child, named Murat, on Feb 15, 2017 but her requests for trial without arrest have remained inconclusive so far.

Gülen’s speech broadcast live for first time after website banned

A speech by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in Pennsylvania in self-imposed exile, was broadcast live on YouTube and a number of stations for the first time on Sunday, after Turkey’s state-controlled Internet watchdog blocked access to herkul.org, a website that previously was used to broadcast his speeches.

Turkish IT Technician Found Dead While Fleeing To Greece

The body of a Turkish IT specialist, who was fleeing Turkish crackdown, was recovered from a river that divides Turkish-Greek territory. Mr. Zumre is not the only one who tried to cross the Meric river into Greece. Hundreds of professors, journalists, and sacked public employees crossed the river to reach Greece. Many of them are living in Greek refugee camps.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Lawyer: Female journalist traumatized by abuse, torture at Turkish police station

NTIC: Showcasing Nigerians’ Academic Prowess

Turkish organizations pour out aid during Feast of Sacrifice

‘Latest developments increased recognition of Hizmet Movement globally’

CHP submits parliamentary question on anti-Hizmet plot

Paranoia: Turkish ‘hero’ T-shirts land dozens in jail

Interview: Professor Greg Barton, counter terrorism expert with Deakin University

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News