Gülen’s speech broadcast live for first time after website banned

Gülen is seen during his speech aired live on Sunday.
Gülen is seen during his speech aired live on Sunday.


Date posted: February 22, 2016

A speech by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in Pennsylvania in self-imposed exile, was broadcast live on YouTube and a number of stations for the first time on Sunday, after Turkey’s state-controlled Internet watchdog blocked access to herkul.org, a website that previously was used to broadcast his speeches.

The speech began at around 10:35 a.m. Turkish time and lasted 50 minutes. During the speech Gülen advised Muslims to respond with goodness to evil, even during periods when people are severely oppressed. However, he added, a believer does not apologize to an oppressor.

The live broadcast drew millions of viewers from around the world, with the hashtag #HocaefendiCanlıYayında (Hocaefendi On Air) quickly becoming a trending hashtag on Twitter. Hocaefendi is the title used by Gülen’s followers to refer to him, meaning “venerable teacher.”

The Telecommunications Directorate (TİB) blocked access to herkul.org last week after a decision by the İstanbul 7th Penal Court of Peace. The move came amid increasing pressure on the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by Gülen.

Since Turkey’s largest-ever corruption investigation was made public on Dec. 17, 2013, following police operations on the homes and offices of people from the inner circle of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), then-prime minister and current President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the AK Party leadership have accused sympathizers of the Gülen movement, especially those in the police force and the judiciary, of plotting to overthrow the Turkish government. The movement strongly rejects the allegations brought against it.

Since the scandal, a number of business groups, media outlets, aid organizations, civil society organizations, universities, private schools and prep schools that were established by people sympathetic to the movement have been targeted by government-orchestrated police raids and investigations.

Erdoğan has openly declared on several occasions since December 2013 that he would carry out a “witch hunt” against anyone with links to the movement. He has also ordered officials in AK Party-run municipalities to seize land and buildings belonging to institutions that are linked to the movement by any means necessary.

Source: Today's Zaman , February 22, 2016


Related News

GYV says claims Hizmet formed political party one big lie

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), whose honorary chairman is Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, released a statement on its website on Wednesday strongly rejecting claims that the Hizmet movement formed a political party.

Purge of ‘parallel state’ or legitimizing discrimination

The profiling of religious Muslim students who are part of the Hizmet movement caused them to be barred from obtaining high positions such as being academics at state institutions, according to Aymaz.

AfSV Statement on the Turkish government’s detainment of Kutbettin Gülen

News of the detention of Kutbettin Gülen, the brother of Fethullah Gülen, is as unsurprising as it is troubling, and it is yet the latest example of the Turkish government’s persecution of innocent citizens in the wake of the July 15 coup attempt. Kutbettin Gülen has been detained on trumped-up charges used by President Tayyip Erdoğan’s administration to silence dissent and cement his autocratic hold on power.

Picture of Turkish president Erdogan as Hitler projected onto Berlin embassy

A picture of Turkish president Recep Erdoğan dressed as Hitler has been projected onto the walls of the country’s embassy in Berlin. ‘We as Germans know what happens in the early stages of a dictatorship’, the artists who projected the message have said.

Erdoğan hampers girls’ education [by shutting down prep schools run by the Hizmet movement]

Adalet Binici, a 14-year-old Kurdish girl in eighth grade, became the champion in last year’s Level Determination Examination (SBS), a high school placement test administered by the Turkish government to over a million students nationwide, thanks to the supplementary education and training provided by a prep school run by the Hizmet movement that is inspired by education-savvy Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Orange County’s Anatolian Festival: A Meeting of Worlds

ARTUR ASLANYAN For the past five years, Orange County, Calif. has hosted the Anatolian Cultures & Foods Festival, a four-day event full of music, dances, food and family fun. The weekend of May 16th through the 19th continued the tradition, putting on the largest version yet. The event is described by many to be “the closest […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Civil society will not bow

Germany informs Gülen sympathizers about Turkish Intel surveillance

Erdogan plotted purge before coup, say Brussels spies

Malian minister praises Turkish schools for persevering through war

Failing to arrest outspoken NBA star, Turkish gov’t detains father

Morocco and Turkish schools

Thousands Are In Turkish Prisons For Downloading This App

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News