Turkish evidence for Gulen extradition pre-dates coup attempt


Date posted: August 19, 2016

Karen DeYoung

Turkey’s request for U.S. extradition of self-exiled cleric Fethullah Gulen refers only to his alleged activities before last month’s failed coup attempt, for which the Turks have not yet provided any evidence of his involvement, a senior administration official said.

“It’s actually tied to allegations of certain alleged criminal activities that pre-date the coup,” the official said of the request now being examined by the Justice Department. “At this point, Turkish authorities have not put forward a formal extradition request based on evidence that he was involved in the coup attempt.”

Turkey has blamed Gulen’s followers for orchestrating the attempted toppling of the government, and has arrested tens of thousands of alleged sympathizers in purges of the military, the judiciary and the media, even as it has closed down hundreds of schools and business enterprises operated by alleged Gulen backers. Gulen, who lives in Pennsylvania, is a permanent U.S. resident.


“At this point, Turkish authorities have not put forward a formal extradition request based on evidence that he was involved in the coup attempt.”


Amid rising bilateral tensions, Turkey has said that its future relationship with the United States will be influenced by the outcome of the extradition request. Turkey, in addition to its membership in NATO, is a key U.S. ally in the fight against the Islamic State.

“Sooner or later, the U.S. will make a choice. Either Turkey or FETO,” Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said last week, referring to Gulen. He said he assumed the United States would “send him back.”

Turkish media and some government officials have suggested that the United States backed the coup attempt, which the Obama administration has sharply denied.

U.S. officials, beginning with President Obama, have said that they have no control over the extradition process. “Professional experts at the Department of Justice are looking over” the information provided by Turkey, said the senior administration official, who spoke on the White House-imposed condition of anonymity.

The official, who briefed reporters on a trip that Vice President Biden will make to Turkey next week, said that U.S. officials are “working alongside their Turkish counterparts to make sure we understand” everything contained in the evidence, and a Justice team will travel to Turkey “in the coming days.”

“If there is probable cause for extradition,” the official said, “ultimately a court will determine whether the evidence is sufficient. . . . We are still a ways down the line from even knowing whether that’s possible.” Officials have said that even if the Justice Department decides extradition is warranted, a court case and possible appeals could take years.

Asked what message Biden would impart to Erdogan, the official said he would “remind the Turkish people that the United States came out emphatically and immediately condemned” the coup attempt.

“I know that there has been some allegations and conspiracy theories” in Turkey of U.S. involvement, said the official, who called such talk “unhelpful.”

“As the vice president would say, all of that’s malarkey, and I think we’ll make that clear during the meetings and during engagements with the Turkish people.”

Source: The Washington Post , August 19, 2016


Related News

Eid-al-Adha – Neighborhood Generosity

Capping off this weekend’s Eid al-Adha celebration observed by nearly 2 billion people around the world, the Turkish Cultural Center of Queens (TCCQ), a local non-profit, is giving back locally.

European Parliament calls for fair trial of suspects arrested in anti-coup operations in Turkey

Members of the European Parliament (EP) discussed developments following the July 15 failed coup attempt in Turkey at a session on Tuesday and stressed the need for the fair trial of suspects who have been arrested on coup charges.

Fethullah Gulen Condemns the Terrorist Attack in Lahore, Pakistan and Extends Condolences to Relatives of Victims

I have learned with grief about the horrible terrorist attack in Lahore, Pakistan that took 70 lives, majority of whom women and children, and injured over three hundred people on a children’s playground. I condemn this attack in the strongest terms and on this sad occasion I reiterate my condemnation of all forms of terror regardless of their perpetrators or their stated purposes.

Gülen extends condolences to coal mine victims

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has extended condolences for victims of the coal mine blast in western Turkish town of Soma, wishing speedy recovery for injured workers.

Royalties provide Fethullah Gülen with modest income, his lawyer says

Turkish religious scholar Fetullah Gülen makes a living off the royalties he receives from his more than 60 books, the self-exiled Muslim leader’s lawyer has said in response to media scrutiny.”My client has written over 60 books which were all listed among best sellers. He makes a living by copyright income,” said Gülen’s lawyer, Nurullah […]

Government circular bans Gülen followers from collecting sacrificed animal skins

A recent government circular sent to police departments across Turkey told police to seize the skins of sacrificed animals during Eid al-Adha collected on behalf of the “Fethullah Gülen terrorist organization” (FETÖ) — a derogatory term President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his political associates developed in order to disparage the faith-based Gülen movement, which is […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu soup kitchen to serve weekly hot meal in Somalia

Turkish Intelligence Agency (MIT) at center of political storm

Islamic scholar Gülen rejects involvement with graft probe and wiretappings

Monday Talk with Alp Aslandogan on Gulen Movement and Recent Coup Attempt in Turkey

Turkey jails disabled teacher after dismissing him and wife from profession

Tunisia was able to make constitution because of concessions of all parties

US professor urges Washington not to extradite Gülen to Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News