Turkish cleric calls for international body to examine coup charges


Date posted: September 25, 2016

The U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen has called for an international commission to investigate Turkey’s charge that he orchestrated a failed coup last July, and said he would accept the findings if such a body found evidence of his guilt.

Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania since 1999, told the German broadcaster ZDF in an interview broadcast on Friday that there was no evidence linking him to the thwarted putsch, which he has denounced.

He accused Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan of using the coup to silence opponents.

Turkey has dismissed or suspended more than 100,000 people in the military, civil service, police, judiciary and education system since a group of rogue soldiers tried to topple the government.

An international organization should examine the issue. If the charges are correct, I will gladly accept what they want. But they haven’t proven anything or responded to my suggestions. It’s all just pure conjecture,” Gulen told ZDF.

“If they can prove that I spoke personally or by telephone with those responsible for the attempted coup, I would be happy to bear the consequences,” he said.

Erdogan on Tuesday called on world leaders at the United Nations to take measures against what he called Gulen’s “terrorist network”, which he said threatened their security.

Turkish authorities have accused Gulen of building up over decades a network of followers inside the armed forces and civil service that attempted to take control of the government.

They have asked the United States to extradite or detain the cleric, who was once a close ally of Erdogan’s.

U.S. Vice President Joe Biden last month told Erdogan during a visit to Ankara that Washington was cooperating with the extradition request but needed evidence to meet U.S. legal standards.

Gulen told ZDF that, if Washington approved the extradition request, he would comply. “If the U.S. says ‘Yes’, then I will go. Then I will spend the rest of my numbered days being tormented by them so that I can free myself even more from my sins and mistakes and reach God as a pure man.”

(Reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

Source: Reuters , September 23, 2016


Related News

Lebanese-Swedish singer Zain says proud to sing Gülen’s poem

Lebanese-Swedish singer Maher Zain, who recently sang a poem written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen for an album titled “Colors of Peace-Rise Up,” has said that he is very proud of singing a poem by Gulen. Artists from 12 countries composed music for poems written by Turkish Islamic scholar Gulen, who is known for […]

Turkey’s once-worldly aims falter, even close allies concerned

Power appears to have gone to the prime minister’s head. Angling to become president in order to extend his rule, Erdogan is foolishly profiling and purging former friends in the Hizmet movement, recently firing hundreds of government employees who are allegedly (no one knows for sure as there’s no evidence) sympathetic to the movement’s founder, Fethullah Gulen

The dominant assessment in NATO: Turkey’s President Erdoğan staged the coup himself

Senior NATO sources tell aldrimer.no that they believe Erdoğan staged the coup himself. However, they stress that there is no written NATO documentation for that claim, because it is simply too sensitive. That’s because all member nation’s have the right to access to all intelligence information gathered by the alliance.

Democracy on the rocks in Turkey

Last week’s military coup attempt in Turkey is likely to have a debilitating impact on Turkish democracy. Already, several thousand military officials and bureaucrats have been arrested. Even more perturbing, more than 2,000 judges were removed from their jobs.

Gülen extends condolences to Egypt victims

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has extended his condolences to victims of the violence in Egypt that resulted after a military crackdown on two camps housing supporters of the country’s ousted president. The Egyptian Health Ministry put the latest death toll at 638 and said the number of injured in the Wednesday’s violence also has […]

Fethullah Gulen’s Message of Condolences and Condemnation for Terrorist Attack Against Mosque in Egypt

This terrorist attack that took place during a prayer on a Friday, a sacred day for Muslims, shows that the curse of terrorism has no respect for anything sacred, whether a church or mosque. Islam cannot be related to any such murderous acts. A true Muslim cannot be a terrorist and a terrorist cannot be a true Muslim.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Faiths come together at Ramadan fast-breaking in Welling and ‘send clear message’ to terrorists after London Bridge attack

Gov’t inspects Gülen-inspired schools while ignoring run-down state schools

Kimse Yok Mu’s Eid al-Adha aid efforts worldwide

‘Kimse Yok Mu’ helps in Peru

2014: Towards an “Empire of Fear”

594 Young Children Growing Up In Turkish Prisons

Turkey’s permanent state of crisis

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News