The dominant assessment in NATO: Turkey’s President Erdoğan staged the coup himself


Date posted: January 25, 2017

Kjetil Stormark

Senior NATO sources tell aldrimer.no that they believe Erdoğan staged the coup himself. However, they stress that there is no written NATO documentation for that claim, because it is simply too sensitive. That’s because all member nation’s have the right to access to all intelligence information gathered by the alliance.

1,600 names

But the dominant NATO assessment is quite clear.

«The senior officers, three- and four-star generals, and those who worked with Turkey for 30-40 years and who mentored Turkish officers for four or five years, say they do not believe that there was a coup. If the Turkish Armed Forces wanted to carry out a coup, they would have succeeded. That’s a tradition in Turkey,» said a NATO source, without a hint of irony.

«They had a list of 1,600 names the very next day of people they wanted gone,» he added.


Related video, Published on Aug 13, 2016 (Added by HizmetNews.Com


Tanks and warplanes

On Friday, 15 July 2016 Turkish tanks rolled into the streets in Ankara and Istanbul. Two bridges over the Bosporus Strait were closed. Fighter planes  also took off in Ankara, where Parliament and the presidential palace were attacked.

Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan was on holiday in Marmaris, in southern Turkey, but travelled that nigtht to Istanbul by private jet.

The very next morning, reports from Turkey said the coup had been foiled. A systematic and comprehensive purge of military officers, judges and others in the Turkish power apparatus started immediately.

A year of preparation

Some 80-90 per cent of Turkish officers who served in NATO were relieved of their posts, aldrimer.no has learned from reliable sources. Many of those who dared to return home were jailed and a significant number were killed, according to NATO sources.

«Turkish officers who still have contact with NATO said that Erdogan had been planning the so-called coup for a year and had a list of people he wanted out.” said a NATO source. «I have so far not met anyone who believes there was a real coup attempt,» said the source.

Described as narcissist

A think tank that NATO regularly uses has issued a classified assessment of Turkey’s President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan as a  narcissist.

The commercial intelligence report is available to NATO officers and NATO member states through NATO Intelligence Fusion Center (NIFCA).

Broken up

One of the first things Erdogan did after the alleged coup was to split the military and the paramilitary gendarmerie. Those two units were previously organized under the same umbrella and wore the same uniform, although they were different organizations with different objectives.

The gendarmerie, in particular, was loyal to Erdogan and actively participated in the purges after the events in Turkey in mid-July. However,  many Turkish Armed Forces officers also enjoyed promotions after displaying loyalty to the president.

NATO noted that a Turkish officer at NATO’s military headquarters SHAPE in Mons, Belgium, was abruptly promoted from major to colonel.

Declined to comment

Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg declined to comment to aldrimer.no. The NATO press office responded with a written statement it asked to be atributed to a «NATO official». In the statement the press office stated that «the NATO Secretary General has commented publicly on the failed coup and its aftermath, and has discussed these issues with the Turkish political leadership». And went on to add:

«He has made clear that those responsible for the failed coup must be brought to justice, and it is important that this be done with full respect for the rule of law.»

The NATO press office, however, did not respond to aldrimer.nos specific questions about NATO assessments of who was really behind the attempted coup in Turkey in July 2016.

Aldrimer.no has contacted the office of the president of Turkey and offered the president a chance to comment. The office has not responded.

Source: AldriMer.no , January 25, 2017


Related News

A Year Ago Today: Teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu died of torture on his 13th day in police custody

Gökhan Açıkkollu, a history teacher suffering from diabetes, died of torture in police custody as part of a post-coup investigation into Turkey’s Gülen group. According to his father, Ayhan Açıkkollu, Gökhan was a diabetics patient while human rights defenders hinted at torture and maltreatment.

Yalçınbayır: Turkey has tendency towards institutionalization of bribery, corruption

Former Deputy Prime Minister and a former leading member of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) Ertuğrul Yalçınbayır said on Sunday that bribery and corruption have always been in Turkish politics and that there is a tendency toward the institutionalization of such crimes in the country.

Gulen factor in Turkey’s turmoil

Gulen Movement is a unique case of global social innovation based on the sanctity of education and inter-faith dialogue in a number of respects.

Medialog Platform hosts digital media experts from Europe and Asia

Media representative and academics from some 20 European and Asian countries have come to Istanbul to discuss the status of the digital media in the new era in the conference, “Understanding Communications in the New Media Era.” Participants called for cooperation and dialogue in the process. During the conference, academics made interesting presentations and exchanged […]

Today’s Zaman: six years of intense coverage

Yavuz Baydar Everybody should be thankful that Turkey proceeds the way it does. It has never disappointed us by keeping dull moments away from us and offering instead a constant stream of surprises. Often, a single day has meant a full year — 24 hours equaled to 365 days, in terms of events and developments. […]

Kosovo’s Parliament supports commission to probe deportation of six Turks

Kosovo Parliament has on Tuesday voted to establish a commission to investigate how and why six Turkish citizens, suspected of being members of Fetullah Gulen movement, were arrested and deported to Turkey.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Jews and Muslims Break Their Fasts Together

‘Erdoğan fights to eliminate Hizmet movement’

Stop doing Erdogan’s dirty work, Freedom centre tells Malaysia

Turkey’s largest charity group targeted

Turkish Deputy PM Ali Babacan visits Turkish, Japanese schools in Sendai

“Hizmet Movement making tremendous contributions to Muslim culture”

Youth address global poverty in Gülen Institute’s essay contest

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News