State Department: US concerned by rhetoric from Turkey on Russian envoy killing


Date posted: December 21, 2016

John Kirby, spokesman of the US State Department, said on Tuesday that Secretary of State John Kerry is concerned about the rhetoric coming out of Turkey on Monday’s assassination of the Russian ambassador to Turkey with respect to American involvement or support.

Speaking during the daily press briefing in Washington on Tuesday, Kirby said “any notion that the United States was in any way supportive of this or behind this or even indirectly involved is absolutely ridiculous.”

Earlier on Monday, Reuters reported that a Turkish Foreign Ministry official said Turkey’s Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu told Kerry that Ankara and Moscow believe followers of US-based Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen were behind the killing of Russian Ambassador Andrei Karlov by a police officer while he was giving a speech in an art gallery.

Underlining that the investigators must do their jobs with the facts and evidence, Kirby said: “Secretary [Kerry] has raised concerns about some of the rhetoric coming out of Turkey with respect to American involvement or support, tacit or otherwise, for this unspeakable assassination yesterday because of the presence of Mr. Gülen here in the United States.”

In a statement on Monday, Gülen condemned the assassination of Russia’s ambassador to Turkey as a “heinous act of terror” and urged the Turkish government to identify anyone who aided the gunman.

“I condemn in the strongest terms this heinous act of terror,” Gülen said in a written statement. “Turkish and international experts repeatedly have pointed out the deterioration of security and counter-terrorism efforts due to the Turkish government’s assigning hundreds of counter-terrorism police officers to unrelated posts, as well as the firing and imprisoning [of] many others since 2014,” Gülen added.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Despite the fact that Gülen, whose views inspired the movement, denied the accusation and called for an international investigation into the failed coup, President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the Turkish government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

More than 120,000 people have been purged from state bodies, in excess of 80,000 detained and some 40,000 have been arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian. Critics argue that lists of Gülen sympathizers were drawn up prior to the coup attempt.

Source: Turkish Minute , December 21, 2016


Related News

GYV to deliver awards to peace projects

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV), which will make a donation of $50,000 to international peace projects developed to prevent conflicts in the world and to present solutions, will hold a ceremony in İstanbul on Friday where 10 peace projects will be given awards.

Turkey to Release Tens of Thousands of Prisoners to Make Room for Coup Suspects

Turkey said on Wednesday that it would empty its prisons of tens of thousands of criminals to make room for the wave of journalists, teachers, lawyers and judges rounded up in connection with last month’s failed coup.

Turkish authorities purge regulators, state TV employees in backlash against graft probe

Turkey has extended a purge of official organizations to the banking and telecommunications regulators and state television, firing dozens of executives in moves that appear to broaden Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s push back against a corruption investigation.

Turkish court rejects appeal to arrest Dumanlı

A court has rejected an appeal made by a prosecutor requesting the arrest of Zaman daily Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı, stating that there was no new evidence that was sufficient to put Dumanlı behind bars.

Why do they lie about Fethullah Gülen?

There are two major allegations that are currently employed in the United States by Gülen opponents in order to discredit and cause fear mongering about him: One that the charter schools opened in various states by Turkish-Americans are connected to Gülen, and that they are spreading “Islamic fundamentalism.

Scholars at Abant Meeting call for EU negotiations, domestic reform

Menekse Tokyay for Southeast European Times As Turkey’s EU bid has stalled, a group of prominent scholars agree that negotiations can only proceed if Turkey advances democracy, drafts a new civilian constitution and resolves of the Kurdish issue. The Abant Platform has long been a progressive force in Turkey, bringing together intellectuals to debate and […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Ultranationalist Columnist Says Turkey Must Get Rid Of Gülen Followers, Hints At Mass Burning

Bangladeshi professor published his second book on Fethullah Gulen

Hizmet movement and military coups

Municipality shuts down three reading halls in Adıyaman

The Remarkable Scale of Turkey’s “Global Purge”

Bank Asya faithful boost deposits after Turkey seizes lender

Bride, groom detained in bridal car while on way to wedding venue

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News