Ministerial bureaucrats being purged over their alleged affiliations with Hizmet


Date posted: January 27, 2014

İSTANBUL
The government’s massive purges in the police and judiciary after the eruption of a corruption and bribery scandal has spread to other ministries, as some people, who have been secretly profiled and said to be part of the Hizmet (Service) movement, are being discharged from their positions, and the new people replacing them have been meticulously examined to determine if they have any connection with the movement, the Radikal daily reported on Sunday.

Personnel employed during the terms of former ministers Sadullah Ergin, Suat Kılıç, Fatma Aliye Şahin and Nihat Ergün have been changed to a great extent, while the traces of former Environment and Urban Affairs Minister Erdoğan Bayraktar are being eliminated almost completely, said the report. The only former minister whose cadre saw little or no change was that of EU Affairs Minister Egemen Bağış.

Radikal said the only criteria in these purges is the “parallel state,” a term the government uses to define those bureaucrats known to favor the Hizmet movement, which is a grassroots movement based on voluntary participation to spread interfaith dialogue and tolerance with a particular emphasis on education. The government has been at odds with Hizmet, but it has burnt its bridges since a corruption and bribery operation started on Dec. 17. Belonging to the Hizmet community is not necessary to be purged. Having any kind of sympathy with the movement is also regarded as sufficient reason for elimination from a post.

Radikal provided some names of people who have been removed from their posts and appointed to lesser positions. For instance, it said the undersecretary of the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Hakan Hakyemez, was replaced with Faruk Özçelik, general director of the Prime Ministry’s department of personnel and principles. By the time Today’s Zaman went to print, however, there was no official confirmation or denial about this information. Hakyemez was still being shown as the undersecretary on the website of the ministry. There will soon be more appointments within the ministry, the story claimed.

Radikal also asserted that Mustafa Öztürk, a former deputy of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party), would be appointed as the undersecretary of the Ministry of Environment and Urban Affairs. For now, four top bureaucrats lost their seats in the Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology, Radikal reported, adding that the government is planning to make sweeping changes in the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK) and the Small and Medium Industry Development Organization (KOSGEB).

Fikri Işık, the newly appointed science, industry and technology minister to replace Ergün — in what was perceived as a surprise change in the latest Cabinet reshuffle — has already dismissed two deputy undersecretaries along with two general directors.

Economy Minister Nihat Zeybekçi appointed İbrahim Şenel as his undersecretary. İdris Güllüce, who replaced Erdoğan Bayraktar, is planning to appoint Professor Mustafa Öztürk as his undersecretary. Öztürk was a former AK Party deputy from Hatay province. Güllüce purged a myriad of general directors in significant positions last week, the daily reported.

Source: Todays Zaman , January 26, 2014


Related News

Turkish Cultural Center in West Haven hit with graffiti in wake of unrest

Usually, if you hear about a particular ethnic group that’s a victim of graffiti, it’s from some other ethnic group or someone who doesn’t understand their culture. But a building facing the Turkish Cultural Center Connecticut recently was tagged — for the second time in three years — with graffiti that appears to be an extension of a political battle raging within Turkey itself.

Ergenekon’s coup-lovers owe an apology to the Hizmet movement

Since the start of the Ergenekon trials, some of the suspects and their supporters constantly, steadfastly and fiercely argued that the Ergenekon cases were based on fabricated evidence prepared by the Hizmet movement, claiming that the defendants were actually innocent. They now owe an apology to the Hizmet movement.

CHP deputy calls Erdoğan’s order to bring down Hizmet ‘crime’

The CHP deputy pointed out it does not say the president can threaten or can give instructions to the MGK to bring down an organization.
According to this Monday’s Taraf daily, the ruling AK Party (Justice and Development Party) is planning to put forward a proposal to MGK to consider the Hizmet movement as illegal. Erdoğan hinted that the MGK would take action against “parallel structures.

Fethullah Gulen turns coup accusations on Erdogan

Fethullah Gulen, the man blamed by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of orchestrating the attempted military coup that rocked Turkey, has tried to turn the accusation against his political rival by suggesting that Mr Erdogan’s ruling AKP party had staged the uprising. In a rare interview from his residence in rural Pennsylvania with the Financial Times […]

GYV: PM’s discriminatory rhetoric undermines social peace

Arguments and discriminatory rhetoric used by the prime minister against the Hizmet movement spoil the emotional well-being of our people; undermine social peace and prepare the groundwork for violence by sowing the seeds of hatred in society, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) said in a forceful statement published on its website on Thursday.

Prep schools and market rules

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government decided recently to close down preparatory schools, establishments that help Turkish students prepare for high school and college entrance exams. In a free market economy, whenever there is a demand for a good or service, its corresponding supply is created naturally; it’s that simple. However, the debate became furious and shifted into the political arena.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Tajik-Turkish Schools excel in Science Olympiads

Erdoğan, Gülen among 10 Turkish figures in Foreign Policy 500 List

Pro-gov’t daily sets up hotline for informing on Gülen followers in EU

What is the main offense that the Cemaat (Hizmet movement) has committed?

A Turkish coup, a family torn apart, a dramatic escape on foot: ‘Can you believe the things we went through?’

Fethullah Gülen’s Lawyers: Gülen Movement Has No Link With Zarrab Case In US

Fethullah Gulen on a Global Scale

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News