Fethullah Gulen turns coup accusations on Erdogan


Date posted: July 16, 2016

Fethullah Gulen, the man blamed by President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of orchestrating the attempted military coup that rocked Turkey, has tried to turn the accusation against his political rival by suggesting that Mr Erdogan’s ruling AKP party had staged the uprising.

In a rare interview from his residence in rural Pennsylvania with the Financial Times and a small group of other reporters, a frail Mr Gulen said claims by Mr Erdogan that he had masterminded the uprising were absolutely groundless.

“I don’t believe that the world takes the accusations made by president Erdogan [against me] seriously,” the moderate Islamic preacher said from a room inside his home at the Golden Generation Worship and Retreat Center, nestled in the rolling hills of the Pocono Mountains.

“There is a possibility that it could be a staged coup [by Mr Erdogan’s AKP] and it could be meant for further accusations” against Gulenists and the military, he said.

Mr Gulen said that he was not worried about being deported from America despite Turkey putting further pressure on the US government to extradite him in the aftermath of Friday’s coup attempt. He said Mr Erdogan’s calls for his extradition were just his latest bluff, as he compared the Turkish president’s political tactics to those of Adolf Hitler’s Nazis in 1940s Germany.

“It is very clear that there is intolerance among the leadership of the ruling party and the president,” Mr Gulen said, speaking in Turkish and communicating with reporters through a translator.

“They have confiscated properties and media organisations, broken doors and harassed people in a fashion similar to Hitler’s SS forces,” Mr Gulen said, as he described how his followers in Turkey had been mistreated over recent years by Mr Erdogan’s party.

In a sign of the rising tension around Mr Gulen, about a dozen people started assembling outside his compound around noon on Saturday, shattering the rural calm that usually surrounds the residence.

“The US should stop protecting him,” screamed a woman wearing a headscarf and waving a Turkish flag in her right hand and a flag portraying Mr Erdogan in the other. “Gulen is a criminal,” she shouted as protesters gathered outside the imam’s residence.

Alp Aslandogan, a media adviser to Mr Gulen, told the FT that the Imam’s security was on “high alert” following the failed coup and threats on Twitter of violence.

Pennsylvania state troopers and a small group of armed private security forces hired by Mr Gulen’s centre were keeping the protests at bay.

Mr Gulen told reporters that he had not received any communications from the US government about a potential extradition.

“They want the best of both worlds, accusing him of being a puppet for the US and also asking the US to extradite him,” Mr Aslandogan said.

Mr Gulen, who is aged 77, was visibly weak. He suffers from diabetes and heart disease, according to his doctor.

The preacher, who has been living in self imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999, lives in modest conditions despite the vast expanse of the complex.

The FT was able to access his bedroom and praying areas, which were ornately decorated with Islamic art and several Turkish flags.

Despite accusing Mr Erdogan’s ruling party of having put democracy at risk in Turkey, Mr Gulen said that he was against all kinds of military coups, as he had been a victim of such uprisings in the past.

US secretary of state John Kerry said he has not received a request to extradite Mr Gulen, but that he invites Turkey to “present us with legitimate evidence” which the US would “make judgments about appropriately”.

Source: Financial Times , July 16, 2016


Related News

US Cannot ‘Suspend’ Constitution for Gulen Extradition – Ex-Prosecutor

The US government cannot violate the country’s Constitution by detaining and extraditing Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen without probable cause simply to appease Turkey, former US Assistant States Attorney Nick Akerman told Sputnik.

Al-Azhar has examined and approved all the works of Mr. Gulen

Egypt’s Al-Azhar University, one of the most respected Islamic Sciences centers in the world, and the Islamic Research Association, has examined the works of Gulen found no contradiction to the school of Sunni Islam. Beyond these works, in some universities, especially Al Azhar, many master’s and doctoral theses on the subject of Hizmet and Mr. Gulen have been published.

Turkey’s Erdogan and onslaughts against opposition

Gulen movement, which is inspired by the highly-respected United States based cleric, Fethullah Gulen, has been brazenly targeted for total destruction by President Erdogan after the failed coup in that country few months ago. The iron-hand President accused members and sympathisers of the movement as being behind the coup.

CSOs slam smear campaign against Hizmet, call on PM to stop hate speech

A large-scale dark propaganda campaign has been conducted by some circles close to the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the Hizmet movement and Gülen, particularly since a corruption scandal erupted in December of 2013 in which three Cabinet ministers’ sons, many state bureaucrats and also well-known businessmen were implicated.

Real Islam can eliminate radical groups in Islamic world, say analysts

MESUT ÇEVİKALP, ANKARA Several terrorist attacks over the past weeks carried out by radical groups in different countries who claim to act with Islamic motivations are seriously damaging Islam’s image, and the best response to such groups is to show the entire world the real face of Islam, which carries the meaning of peace, analysts […]

Coup and Countercoup in Turkey

The coup was doomed to fail from the beginning. To say it was amateurish would be insulting to all amateurs. Assuming there were some sympathizers of Gülen within the armed forces, the sheer size of the post-coup dismissals make absolutely no sense.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

A rift between the Hizmet movement and the AK Party?

Questions on a Coup – Did Erdogan engineer it himself?

The tragedy in Soma will also be felt in politics

The intra-Turkish debate on the Mavi Marmara

Sending Fethullah Gulen to Turkey would be a national disgrace

Brookings: Takvim’s news on Hizmet movement incorrect, totally ignorant

Greek broadcaster praises contributions of Gülen movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News