Minister: Turkey confiscated $4 bln worth of Gülenist property


Date posted: September 1, 2016

Some TL 12 billion (about $4 billion) in property has been transferred to the Treasury as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement, said Minister for Environment and Urbanization Mehmet Özhaseki on Thursday.

“A total of 2,514 properties have been transferred to the Treasury and 2,083 properties to the Directorate General of Foundations. Property valued at approximately TL 12 billion has been transferred to the Treasury,” said Özhaseki, speaking to the state-run Anadolu new agency.

The Turkish government has launched a witch-hunt against people who are sympathizers of Fethullah Gülen, a Turkish Islamic scholar who has lived in self-imposed exile in the US since 1999. Over 4,000 people were detained, more than 900 were arrested and some 300 companies including banks, hospitals and media had been seized by the government by mid-2016.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the government turned the witch-hunt into an all out-war against the movement hours after a bloody coup attempt on July 15.

Immediately after the putsch, the government along with Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement without credible evidence. Despite the fact that the movement as well as Gülen denied the accusation, some 82,000 people have been purged from state bodies, over 40,000 detained and more than 20,000 arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, businessmen, academics, governors and even a comedian.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 1, 2016


Related News

Daniel Skubik on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Dr. Daniel Skubik is Professor of law, ethics & humanities at California Baptist University. He teaches public and private international law, constitutional law, and philosophy of law. He earned his master degree in political science and his doctoral degree in philosophy.

With Husband Already In Jail, Woman Along With Two Children Detained In Post-Coup Witch Hunt

Nearly seven months after former public worker B.K. was arrested, his wife and two children were also detained as part of a government witch hunt against the Gülen movement. She is also diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Black Sunday: The day Turkey detained its prominent journalists

The government-orchestrated crackdown on independent critical media outlets in Turkey took a turn for the worse on Sunday with dawn raids on Turkey’s largest newspaper Zaman and popular national TV network Samanyolu TV that led to the detention of top managers at the media outlets.

Defamation – Turkey’s Justice Minister: Gülen Followers Take Christian Names To Infiltrate Western States

Turkey’s Justice Minister Bekir Bozdağ said on Monday that followers of Gülen movement, change their Turkish names in order to infiltrate into the institutions of the Western states.

Military coup documents contain plans to prevent works of Hizmet movement

MUSTAFA GÜRLEK, İSTANBUL Documents retrieved from the General Staff hard disks also feature plans to prevent the works of the Hizmet movement (a.k.a Gulen movement), inspired by the renowned Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. In the documents, the General Staff’s Information Support Unit discussed how to bring the financial sources of the Hizmet movement under […]

Turkey’s recent view from the US

The way the AK Party has proposed new laws to increase government control over judges and prosecutors and how many investigations have slowed down have raised suspicions that the government might be trying to hide corruption. The censorship of Turkish media and the recent attempts to change laws about the Internet to easily increase censorship are raising concern.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

US voices concern about press freedom over Karaca’s arrest

Afghan Parents Complain to UN Over Detention of Turkish Teachers

Father of three released only after wife died following heart attack

African queen promises to give support to Turkish schools

Filipino ambassador hails Turkish schools

Nigerian Turkish schools denies links to Turkey coup

‘Hizmet Movement is teaching “habits of the heart”, without any request for payback’

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News