Nigerian Turkish schools denies links to Turkey coup


Date posted: July 30, 2016

The management of the Nigerian-Turkish International Colleges (NTIC) says the government of Turkey is insulting Nigeria by requesting the closure of its schools in the country.

Speaking on Wednesday during a meeting with Shehu Sani, vice-chairman of the senate committee on foreign affairs, Hakan Cakil, the Turkish ambassador to Nigeria, had asked the government to shut down the 17 Turkish schools in the country.

He said that the owners of the schools were members of the Fethullah Gulen movement, which allegedly plotted the botched July 15 coup in Turkey.

He also alleged that the owners of the schools used proceeds from their investment in Nigeria for criminal activities.

But in a statement on Friday, Orhan Kertim, managing director of the schools, described the request of the Turkish government as baseless and unfounded, saying that although the NTIC schools in Nigeria are Turkish in name, they are actually Nigerian in deeds.

“The NTIC is not a Turkish government-run institution, but a privately funded institution by a group of Turkish investors,” he said.

“As a responsible organisation operating in Nigeria since 1998, we are conversant with the laws of the land and we have to the best of our ability abided by these stipulations.

“The call therefore by the Turkish ambassador is not only baseless, but it is also unfounded and of poor taste.

“Nigeria is a sovereign country and call by the Turkish ambassador is not only an affront on the sovereignty of the Nigerian nation, but a display of crass ignorance.

“The NTIC schools in Nigeria are Turkish in name, but Nigerian in deeds. We are partners in progress as evident in all our activities since 1998.”

Source: Naija 257 News , July 30, 2016


Related News

Turkish schools in Romania awarded with certificate of excellence

Turkish schools which have been operating in Romania for 20 years, were awarded with a certificate of excellence by Romanian Education Minister Remus Pricopie. A reception was held at Bucharest Crowne Plaza on Wednesday evening on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the schools, established by Lumina Education Institute.

Laotian minister: I feel lucky my son studies at Turkish school

Dr. Bosengkham Vongdara, minister of information, culture and tourism of Laos said during a science festival organized by the Turkish Eastern Star Bilingual School held recently that he feels lucky his son studies in the Turkish school.

Erdoğan is helping Hizmet community in three ways

If President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan had given an assurance to the world, saying, “The Hizmet movement never resorts to violence and it is an antidote to Islamist violence,” people would still have nurtured doubts and they still would have asked if they, like Islamists, would resort to violence under duress.

Ramadan aid cheers up Sudanese orphans

Sudan is the country of children left orphaned due to civil war. Millions of Sudanese at hunger threshold are smiling at least a little thanks to aid from NGOs like Kimse Yok MU during Ramadan. In addition to another centrally-located orphanage’s renovation, KYM also seeks to finance orphans’ shelter and food needs. The orphans here are studying at a public school while they receive hafiz training from Sheikh Hasan Abdullah.

Turkish Airlines stops distribution of Zaman and Today’s Zaman on its planes

Turkey’s flagship carrier Turkish Airlines (THY) has put an embargo on dailies affiliated with the Fethullah Gülen Movement, which has been in at odds with the government over an ongoing corruption investigation. The airline, 74 percent of which is owned by the state, had already stopped delivering the English-language daily Today’s Zaman in airport terminals and on planes before slashing the distribution of its Turkish sibling, daily Zaman, by two-thirds.

Erdoğan’s war against Hizmet: Step by step

Turkish prosecutors carried out a number of arrests and raids on the morning of 17th December 2013 as part of a series of on-going corruption investigations. PM Erdogan’s response has been to call this a coup attempt against his government orchestrated by a coalition of foreign and domestic enemies. Erdogan claims that the ‘domestic pawn’ of this plot is the Hizmet movement. His number one election campaign promise: to crush and annihilate the treacherous Hizmet movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

78 detained for raising money for post-coup purge victims

Festival showcasing Anatolian cultures attracts thousands in LA

Gülen has been awarded an honorary doctorate by Leeds Metropolitan University

Sabotage: government-Gülen movement relations

Shut down schools, not tutoring facilities

Government plans to unlawfully take over aid organization

What’s not to love in this coup?

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News