German minister says state not investigating Gulenists

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: November 3, 2016

 The German authorities are not investigating Gulenists, the country’s justice minister said Tuesday, much to the frustration of Turkey which has asked that action be taken against the shadowy group.

Heiko Maas claimed the “Gulen movement” — the group which is believed to have organized Turkey’s foiled coup attempt on July 15 — does not have an organized structure in Germany.

“As far as I know, we do not have any investigations at the moment on how the Gulen movement is organized. And there is no sufficient information indicating that they have an organizational presence here,” Mass said at an event organized by the Foreign Correspondents’ Association in Berlin.

The Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), led by U.S.-based Fetullah Gulen, is believed to have organized July’s attempted military takeover in Turkey, which left over 241 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured.

The followers of Gulen, who call themselves the “Hizmet movement”, are not organized under a centralized structure in Germany but carry out significant activities through a large shadowy network consisting of dozens of private schools, business associations and media organizations.

A report by the German domestic intelligence agency in 2014 said followers of the movement had founded more than 500 organizations across the country, including at least 24 schools and many cultural foundations.

Soon after the foiled coup attempt in July, Ankara urged Berlin to curb the group’s activities in Germany, a country which has a three-million-strong Turkish community.

Several important Gulenist figures from Turkey, including prosecutors and journalists, are believed to have fled there.

Last month, Ankara officially asked the German authorities to locate, arrest and hand over two high-profile prosecutors — Zekeriya Oz and Celal Kara — who are accused of plotting to overthrow the Turkish government.

They played a key role in a controversial anti-corruption probe in late 2013 which targeted the upper reaches of the Turkish government.

Death penalty

However, Justice Minister Maas said on Tuesday Berlin would not extradite any suspects if they faced “politically motivated” charges in Turkey.

He also argued that reintroducing the death penalty in Turkey would make it more difficult to positively respond to Ankara’s extradition demands in future.

Several suspects arrested after the July 15 coup attempt reportedly testified that hundreds of high-ranking FETO members have recently fled to Germany.

Despite widespread suspicions, the German authorities have been reluctant so far to curb the activities of Gulenists.

German officials said they would only act upon concrete evidence which showed that these institutions were carrying out activities which violated the constitution and laws of Germany.

Gulenists have been careful so far not to attract criticism in Germany and the group’s followers have particularly focused on interfaith dialogue programs, issuing moderate messages to win the trust of the media, influential churches and political institutions.

The Turkish government suspects Gulenists recently came closer to fully controlling the Turkish state by infiltrating key institutions, particularly the military, police and judiciary, in a long-running campaign dating back to the 1980s.

Several politicians said the deadly July 15 coup attempt was hastily organized by followers of Gulen in the military after they received hints that an ongoing legal inquiry into Gulenists in the army would lead to massive detentions on July 16-17.

Source: World Bulletin , November 2, 2016


Related News

What should we expect from 2015?

As you may know, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) and President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan have been able to postpone the Kurdish settlement process they started in 2009 until after the 2015 elections.

Group of activists walking across Europe raises 40,000 euros for Turkish refugees in Greece

A group of activists from the UK raised 40,000 euros for needy Turkish nationals who have landed in Greece as refugees in the face of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s post-coup witch-hunt.

New Book – “Beginnings and Endings: Fethullah Gülen’s Vision for Today’s World”

Instead of apocalyptic visions of clashing religions and civilizations, Gülen envisions eschatological fulfillment of the world, and thus meets the reader as a man of devout and informed hope. This seminal hope manifests itself in the determined actions of the committed men and women working to end ignorance, poverty, and disunity in todays world.

Gülen’s lawyer: New arrest warrant for Gülen is unlawful

The lawyer for Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, Nurullah Albayrak, in reaction to Turkish media reports on Tuesday of another arrest warrant being issued for his client, said in a statement that according to the law on criminal procedure, it is unlawful for a court to issue an arrest warrant unless the accused has been appropriately called to appear before the court.

Gülen has been awarded an honorary doctorate by Leeds Metropolitan University

Turkish Muslim scholar, educator and peace activist, M. Fethullah Gülen, has been awarded an honorary doctorate by Leeds Metropolitan at the University’s Summer Graduation celebrations for his contribution to education, peace making and intercultural dialogue. Through his teachings and work, Fethullah Gülen has initiated and inspired a transnational civil society movement to invest in education […]

Pakistan – Turkish teachers, students not to be deported, court told

The federal government Wednesday told the Lahore High Court that Turkish national teachers and students of PakTurk International Schools would not be deported.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Warning of another Feb. 28 on the eve of an MGK meeting

Turkey’s Global Anti-Gülen Crusade Puts Tbilisi in Diplomatic Bind

Gülen says he supports broader press freedoms

Education minister calls on African ambassadors to have Gülen-inspired schools closed

Scores of students march to Pristina airport after learning Gülen teachers not yet deported

Turkey pledges to help rebuild Bosnia after floods

School Children, Not Tools Of War: A Nigerian’s opinion on Gulen, Hizmet and Erdogan

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News