Pakistan – Turkish teachers, students not to be deported, court told

Pakistani students of the Pak-Turk International school comfort their Turkish teacher in Lahore, Pakistan, Nov. 17, 2016. (AP Photo/K.M. Chaudhry)
Pakistani students of the Pak-Turk International school comfort their Turkish teacher in Lahore, Pakistan, Nov. 17, 2016. (AP Photo/K.M. Chaudhry)


Date posted: March 31, 2017

The federal government Wednesday told the Lahore High Court that Turkish national teachers and students of PakTurk International Schools would not be deported.

During hearing of a petition by Mehmet Ali Seker and others associated with the PakTurk Educational Foundation, Attorney General Ashtar Ausaf stated that the Turkish national teachers/students had filed applications to the United Nations to declare them refugees. He said the government had no plan to deport the Turkish teachers and students before any decision by the UN. In light of the attorney general’s statement, Justice Syed Mazahar Ali Akbar Naqvi disposed of the petition.

The petitioners had submitted that they had been lawfully residing in Pakistan against “NGO” category visas abiding by the laws of the country having clean and unblemished record. They said the interior ministry declined to extend visas of the petitioners without disclosing any reason.

They said the ministry ordered deportation of the petitioners and other Turkish national employees of the foundation. Some of the petitioners and their families possessing valid visas till first month of 2017 were also ordered to be deported, they added. The petitioners said the ministry was planning a smooth takeover of the foundation in favour of a different organisation owing to domestic politics in Turkey.

They said the government also cancelled registration of the foundation by promulgating a new Companies Ordinance of 2016. They argued that the acts of the government amounted to indirectly winding up the foundation without any legal course and consent of its directors. They pleaded that the petitioners and their families could not be deported until they were not afforded an ample opportunity of hearing.

Model Town case: A full bench of the Lahore High Court Wednesday directed the registrar office to consolidate petitions of Inspector General Police, Punjab and Idara Minhajul Quran pertaining to Model Town killings’ case.

The bench headed by Justice Muhammad Yawar Ali issued notices to the parties and adjourned hearing until April 27. During the hearing, the bench dismissed the petition of former Lahore DCO Usman observing that the petition was not maintainable after appearing before the court. Inspector General Police, Punjab Mushtaq Ahmad Sukhera had challenged the orders of an anti-terrorism court in which he and other officials had been summoned for trial in Model Town killings’ case in 2014. On Saturday, Idara Minhajul Quran filed a writ petition challenging the decision of the trial court to the extent of not summoning Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, Punjab Law Minister Rana Sanaullah and others. The petitioner had requested the court that the order of the trial court to the extent of not summoning 12 respondents including the PM be set aside and the court be ordered to summon them. It may be mentioned here that it is first time since the Model Town incident in 2014 that a full bench has been constituted to take up these petitions against the orders of the ATC.

Notices: The Lahore High Court on Wednesday issued notices to the federal government and Election Commission of Pakistan (ECP) on a writ petition seeking cancellation of 325 political parties’ registration. Advocate Safdar Gill contended in his petition that all the political parties were bound to submit details of their assets and tax with the ECP under Political Parties Act of 1962. He said only eight out of a total 333 major and small political parties filed their income tax returns. The petitioner said that no political party declared income resources and assets for year 2016.  The petitioner said the ECP remained oblivious to the issue and took no action against the parties. He prayed to the court to order the ECP to cancel the registration of 325 political parties for violating Section 13 of the Political Parties Act. The chief justice issued notices to the respondents for May 2.

Source: The International News , March 30, 2017


Related News

Qatar deports 45 Turkish nationals over Gülen links

Pro-government Sabah daily newspaper claimed on Saturday that 45 Turkish nationals were deported from Qatar for having links to the Gulen movement. The daily said two of those 45 people — academic Zekeriya Özşevik and his wife Derya Özşevik — were detained upon their arrival to Istanbul, giving no detail about the whereabouts of the others.

Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan Reject Turkish Calls to Close Gülen Schools

Kazakh authorities said the Gülen schools would remain open. In a statement, the Education Ministry said “These schools (27) will be working as they used to.” The schools were established through a bilateral deal signed by Kazakh president Nursultan Nazarbayev and then-Turkish President Turgut Özal shortly after independence, according to Akipress. Both Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan are remaining firm that they will not bend to Ankara’s will on this issue.

Embassies Embark on Diplomatic Moves for the Release of Detained Sierra Leonean in Turkey

David Junusa, a Sierra Leonean national who lives and works in Ankara was detained at the Kavaklidere Police Station in Ankara when he showed up to renew his expired residency permit.

PM Erdoğan once defended Hizmet, said it was Feb. 28 [military coup] victim

Prime minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who has recently accused the faith-based Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen of cooperating with coup perpetrators during the Feb. 28, 1997 post-modern coup era, defended the same movement at a parliamentary coup commission in 2012, when he said the movement’s followers had been victimized during the coup.

Is Turkey Supporting ISIS?

One of the most problematic aspects of the war against the Islamic State has been the role of Turkey. On the one hand, diplomats see Turkey as a cornerstone of any diplomatic strategy to counter the Islamic State in Syria and Iraq. On the other hand, Turkey—or, at least, elements within the state—appear to back the Islamic State.

Renowned Kurdish singer Sivan Perwer lauds Gülen’s support for peace process

Famous Kurdish singer Şivan Perwer has said he found the remarks of well-respected Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen on the peace process to end the Kurdish issue “important.” Perwer described the announcement of support from Gülen as a “significant event” as he said people in Turkey listen to what the Islamic scholar has to say. […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Albanian Ministry of Interior Violated Law in Trying to Deport Turkish National Selami Simsek

Australian Catholic University announces Fethullah Gulen international scholarship

Feza Schools to open branch in Dodoma, Tanzania

Imprisoned Gülen followers subject to rape, nail extraction, object insertion: lawyers association

Bank Asya seeks immediate return of ‘hijacked’ management rights

Amity School on The Wall Street Journal

Qur’anic Reciters of Nigeria Raise Alarm Over Turkey’s Espionage

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News