FM Davutoğlu orders ambassadors to avoid Turkish Olympiads


Date posted: March 11, 2014

ANKARA

With only a few months remaining before the 12th Turkish Language Olympiads, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has sent a message to Turkish ambassadors and diplomats serving abroad ordering them not to attend the overseas selections phase of the Olympiads, according to diplomatic sources.

 

Avoiding sending a written memo, Davutoğlu sent a verbal message to diplomats serving in foreign countries via Foreign Ministry officers, saying, “It would be improper for our ambassadors to attend the Turkish Olympiads.”

“It was relayed to us that Davutoğlu doesn’t find it appropriate for us to attend the Turkish Olympiads. The message came from the ministry,” said two ambassadors, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Foreign Ministry sources who wanted to remain anonymous did not refute the alleged order. Osman Sert, press adviser to Davutoğlu, declined to respond to Today’s Zaman’s questions asking whether the alleged order indeed came from Davutoğlu. He also did not address questions about the stance of the ministry and Davutoğlu on ambassadors attending the overseas selections phase of the Turkish Olympiads.

Orders sent to ambassadors targeting the Hizmet movement and Turkish schools allegedly affiliated with the Hizmet movement first came to public attention when Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called on Turkish diplomats to “tell the truth” about a corruption investigation which became public on Dec. 17 to their foreign interlocutors.

Speaking during the annual gathering of ambassadors in Ankara on Jan. 15, Prime Minister Erdoğan labeled the corruption investigation involving former government ministers as nothing but a “treacherous plot” to sabotage Turkey’s international standing.

“The process that began on Dec. 17 is a coup attempt disguised as an anti-corruption operation. It is an attempt to sabotage democracy, the nation’s will, the settlement process [of the Kurdish problem] and our foreign policy,” Erdoğan said in addressing the ambassadors. “I especially ask you to underline that this is not an anti-corruption operation but a coup attempt disguised as such,” Erdoğan stated.

Without openly naming it, Erdoğan accused the Hizmet movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and its “foreign collaborators” of attempting to overthrow his government through a “judicial coup” ever since the corruption investigation that shook his government became public on Dec. 17.

Ambassadors who have attended and supported the Turkish Olympiads before told Today’s Zaman they are having difficulties abiding by the extraordinary orders coming from Ankara.

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government’s attempts to undermine the activities of schools allegedly affiliated with the Hizmet movement has intensified in recent days. Erdoğan has reportedly been exerting great efforts for the closure of Turkish schools abroad. Sources say Davutoğlu has also joined Erdoğan in his efforts to target the Hizmet movement and Turkish schools overseas.

Okan Müderrisoğlu, a columnist with the pro-government Sabah daily, wrote on Sunday that while on his way back to Turkey from Rome last week, Davutoğlu told him if the schools had not gone beyond their educational purposes, there wouldn’t be any form of discrimination against them.

“We support anyone and any institution that plays an efficient role in promoting Turkey, contributing to Turkey’s prestige. … Some problems occurred during the opening of those schools. These problems were stated by our president [Abdullah Gül] and prime minister [Erdoğan] and they also intervened in the issue [for the opening of schools]. If they [the schools] had remained within their boundaries, there wouldn’t be any discrimination,” he reportedly said.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 11, 2014


Related News

You couldn’t meet a nicer bunch of people: answer to defamation

Why do some portray Gülen and the residents of the retreat center, where he lives, as terrorists, while their neighbors describ them as “you couldn’t meet a nicer bunch of people”? Fethullah Gülen is one of the fruit-bearing trees of our time. He is as tall as the pine trees of the Pocono Mountains in Pennsylvania, where […]

Gülen’s German collaborator, or the German slap?

Is President Gauck the German controlling agent for the German cell of this merciless terrorist organization? Did President Gauck make that speech –unusually bold [and honest] for a visiting dignitary – because he, too, is being held hostage to blackmail by the Gülenists? Did the Turkish “parallel state” tap Mr. Gauck’s phones and blackmail him? Or did Mr. Gauck say what he said because he had been paid by Lufthansa which, according to Mr. Erdoğan’s men, was one the foreign conspirators behind the Gezi Park protests?

Slain prosecutor’s daughter: My father was not with Gülen movement

The daughter of former Bursa public prosecutor Seyfettin Yiğit, who allegedly committed suicide in a prison bathroom on Friday morning after he was put behind bars over Gülen movement ties, said on Saturday that her father was not affiliated with the Gülen movement but was with the Süleymancı movement, an Islamic movement in Turkey founded by Turkish Islamic scholar Süleyman Hilmi Tunahan in the early 20th century.

Gov’t bid to close Turkish schools draws ire

Many from various circles, including intellectuals and academics, have leveled harsh criticism against Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government’s attempts to shut down Turkish schools abroad affiliated with the Hizmet movement, which is inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Deputy slams AK Party with creating crisis as he resigns from party

Announcing his resignation at a press conference in Parliament, İşbilen slammed AK Party leader and Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for his “dregatory and remarks” against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and criticized Erdoğan’s government over the corruption scandal.

Bruised by lavish palace, Erdoğan pictures fake Gülen compound

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has made a major push to paint a picture of the compound where Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen lives as a spacious camp in an attempt to contain attacks over his own sumptuous palace, which drew anger from the public, including from within his own party.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gülen’s Message of Condolences in the Wake of the Western European Floods

Imam Wahy-ud Deen Shareef: What we see in ISIL may be fire, but it is not illumination

Malian minister praises Turkish schools for persevering through war

A legal guidebook for ‘perception engineers’

Prosecutor’s office launches investigation into Şahin’s claim

Hizmet Relief ends Cataract Campaign, starts Water Well Campaign

The responsibility of the Hizmet movement

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News