Slain prosecutor’s daughter: My father was not with Gülen movement


Date posted: September 19, 2016

The daughter of former Bursa public prosecutor Seyfettin Yiğit, who allegedly committed suicide in a prison bathroom on Friday morning after he was put behind bars over Gülen movement ties, said on Saturday that her father was not affiliated with the Gülen movement but was with the Süleymancı movement, an Islamic movement in Turkey founded by Turkish Islamic scholar Süleyman Hilmi Tunahan in the early 20th century.

Speaking during a funeral service for her father in Bursa on Saturday, Ayça Yiğit told reporters that her father was for his entire life an opponent of the Gülen movement and that she doesn’t think he committed suicide in prison.

“We met with him on the occasion of the Eid al-Adha holiday. He was fine. He said he wrote some letters to us sent on various dates. They were not suicide letters. He even wrote [a letter] to President [Erdoğan]. We have not yet received them,” she said.

Forty-seven-year-old Yiğit had conducted an important phase of the now-famous Dec. 17, 2013 corruption investigation that implicated then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s family. He was in charge of the Housing Development Administration of Turkey (TOKİ) involvement in the corruption and after an evaluation of the documents, the TOKİ case was merged with the larger corruption investigation.

“He was not a Fethullahçı [member of the Gülen movement], he was a Süleymancı. This is not a suicide but a murder. He is not the kind of person to commit suicide,” she added.

An investigation has been launched into the incident amid a Human Rights Watch report on the existence of torture in Turkish prisons following the failed coup on July 15.

A teacher of 25 years, Mustafa Güneyler, who was fired from his post over alleged links to the Gülen movement, also committed suicide last month.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Despite Gülen and the movement having denied the accusation and calling for an international investigation, Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

More than 100,000 people have been purged from state bodies, nearly 43,000 detained and 23,500 arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 18, 2016


Related News

The İmralı peace process and defaming the Hizmet movement

İHSAN YILMAZ After the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) leader Abdullah Öcalan’s comments to the Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) deputies visiting him on İmralı Island were leaked to the press, almost everybody asked who was behind the leak. The main suspicion was that it was leaked by one who did not want the peace negotiations […]

Turkey’s crisis deepens

Therefore, it is not surprising the attempted coup in Turkey aroused such concern and reaction. But to use it as an exercise in settling political scores with related or unrelated enemies will only further inflame the situation. There are reports that the Erdogan government had already prepared lists for purges and suspensions, and the failed coup has brought forward the whole exercise.

Turks mobilize to join solidarity campaign for Bank Asya

The government-led assault to sink Turkey’s largest Islamic lender, Bank Asya, due to its affiliations with the Hizmet movement, has stirred a public movement, with thousands of people rushing to deposit money with the bank to aid its struggle for survival.

The Gülen Movement and Turkish Soft Power*

The Gülen approach to education aptly demonstrates the group’s global strategy—Gülen movement schools are open to both Turkish migrants and citizens of host countries, and they avoid advancing a religious agenda. These schools aim to help Turkish migrants succeed in their host societies without losing sight of their Turkish roots, and at the same time they promote social unity by serving the needs of migrants and local students alike. The success of Gülen movement schools stems both from the success of the students (and the satisfaction of the parents) and from the prestige and goodwill they enjoy among local and political authorities for promoting integration and acting as a social mediator.

Welcome to the Republic of Paranoia

Since conflicting with the secularist segments of society in the Gezi Park events, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government has taken on a paranoid mentality that tends to relate all developments that are against the AKP government with some form of conspiracy against it. As a result of this paranoid outlook, the AKP government has now gotten itself into a conflict with the Gülen movement. It is arguing that the Gülen movement is working in conjunction with foreign forces to harm the government.

Middle East’s Struggle for Democracy: Going Beyond Headlines

Last month, when Hizmet representatives criticized the government-proposed legislation that calls for banning exam prep schools, Turkish and Western journalists labeled this opposition as a feud between Prime Minister Erdogan and Mr. Gulen because roughly 15-25 percent of these prep schools were founded by Hizmet participants according to various estimates. But that is an oversimplification.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Al Arabiya: Gulen confident US will not extradite him

To embrace the spirit of acceptance and tolerance

309 Somali students come to Turkey for education

Esposito urges Muslims to integrate better to defeat Islamophobia

UN Peace Conference renews commitment against extremism of all kinds

Gulen – Erdogan History in 2 minutes

The message at the dialogue dinner: There’s no alternative to one Nigeria

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News