Exiled Turks Fleeing Erdogan Find New Lives in Greece

FILE - Turkish military officers (C) escorted by Greek police officers, arrive at the Supreme Court in Athens. (AP Photo/Yorgos Karahalis, FILE)
FILE - Turkish military officers (C) escorted by Greek police officers, arrive at the Supreme Court in Athens. (AP Photo/Yorgos Karahalis, FILE)


Date posted: February 13, 2019

By TNH Staff

Turks who fled the wrath of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan after a failed coup against him in July, 2016 have landed in Greece seeking asylum and integrating themselves into society as many are educated professionals, unlike many refugees and migrants finding themselves locked in detention centers and camps.  

The new Turkish arrivals, many of them lawyers, doctors, engineers and authors, are concentrated in the center of Greece’s capital, the independent Turkish news site Ahval reported in a feature on their resettlement, adding that there are also 4,000 in the second-largest city and major port of Thessaloniki.

Many have been accused of membership in the Gülen movement, a religious group led by cleric Fethullah Gülen, who lives in Pennsylvania and who Turkey accuses of mastermindin the failed coup which led Erdogan to purge civil society and the military and thousands land in jail on what critics said were trumped-up charges.

The Turkish government had previously arrested some 77,000 people over links to Gülen, while another 150,000 civil servants, military personnel and others have been sacked from the government in the crackdown Erdogan said was aimed at sectors he said were threats.

Those Ankara has accused of links to Gülen may not even be safe abroad, dozens of alleged Gülen members around the world have been arrested and deported back to Turkey, said Ahval, with even New York Knicks player Enes Kanter believing he’s a target.

Ahval spoke to a number of Turks living in Greece, who all rejected the charge of membership in a terrorist organisation and were fearful of Turkey’s reach abroad to get at them and other Turkish citizens.

Some said they were targeted for having bank accounts with Bank Asya, a Turkish bank affiliated with the Gülen movement that the government shut down following the failed coup. Others said they had sent their children to a Gülen-linked school, which numbered in the thousands in Turkey before the coup attempt.

Some Turks now in Greece had worked for Gülen-connected media outlets. Before July 2016, many newspapers, magazines and broadcast stations in Turkey were affiliated with the movement.

most Turks in Thessaloniki are not looking to stay in Greece, but are hoping to reach northern European countries, where they expect to find greater opportunity, the site said.

Melih, a Turk living in Thessaloniki, said that Turks who make it across the Evros River party are kept in detention for two days, then taken to a special section in migrant camps.

Source: The National Herald , February 13, 2019


Related News

Turkey as a “serial” human rights derogator

The past couple of months have been tumultuous in Turkey. In short order, an ill-conceived military coup was followed by popular mass protest, the quick return of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to power, and a wave of repression ranging from military and judicial purges, to state restrictions on a panoply of basic human rights protections, to allegations of “widespread human rights abuses” by state actors.

Islamist daily published profiling story in 2010

The Islamist Akit daily published a story on illegal profiling conducted by the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) that targeted religious groups back in 2010, long before the Taraf daily, which is currently under fire from the government for publishing similar documents, the authenticity of which have been confirmed by the government.

Kyrgyz court overturns extradition of suspected Gülenists to Turkey

A Kyrgyzstan court on Tuesday overturned a decision by the country’s Prosecutor General’s Office to extradite two people to Turkey to face charges of membership of the banned Gülen movement, The Diplomat reported.

PM’s son: Dad, let’s initiate an operation against Hizmet’s senior members

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s son Bilal allegedly urged his father to trigger an operation to detain prominent figures of the Hizmet movement in response to an ongoing graft and bribery investigation implicating Erdoğan, his family members and a number of ministers and businessmen close to him.

Parents seek TL 40,000 in damages for violation of students’ educational rights

Parents İsmail and Seval Topçuoğlu are seeking TL 40,000 in damages from the Education Ministry for violating students’ educational rights by adopting a new regulation about dershanes (prep schools), claiming it aims to bypass a top court’s ruling to annul a controversial law to close down the schools.

Turkish President Gül: Turkish schools abroad largest non-state project

11 June 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM Turkish President Abdullah Gül has said Turkish schools abroad are the largest non-state project Turkey has ever seen, noting that the schools’ value will only increase in the future. Organizers and participants in the 10th International Turkish Olympiads presented the Karamanoğlu Mehmet Bey Turkish Language Award to the president, who […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Germany Declines Turkish Request to Freeze Gulen Assets

Turkish schools in Austria select finalists for Int’l Turkish Olympiads

Turkish schools are being closed down

Kimse Yok Mu to send aid for Syrian refugees with 50 TIRs

Arresting police to make Erdoğan happy

Biden in Turkey: Holding the Line on Human Rights

[Part 3] Gülen says gov’t cut back on rights and freedoms in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News