Islamist daily published profiling story in 2010


Date posted: December 9, 2013

The Islamist Akit daily published a story on illegal profiling conducted by the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) that targeted religious groups back in 2010, long before the Taraf daily, which is currently under fire from the government for publishing similar documents, the authenticity of which have been confirmed by the government.

The news story that Akit, then named Anadolu’da Vakit, published on April 29, 2010, reports that while the Fethullah Gülen movement was among the religious groups to be closely monitored by MİT, the terrorist al-Qaeda had been removed from the list completely.

Although today Akit attempts to downplay the importance of similar profiling activity, it had run the story with the headline “MİT report astonishes.” Neither the Office of the Prime Minister nor MİT denied the existence of such a document.

According to the list of profiling victims published by Akit in 2010, the MİT Department of Destructive Religious Activities classified religious groups in Turkey according to the perceived level of threat they posed. The Süleymancıs (followers of Islamic scholar Süleyman Tunahan), Nakşibendis (members of a Sufi order), the Humanitarian Aid Foundation (İHH), the followers of Islamic Scholar Said Nursi and the Fethullah Gülen movement are all in the category of the highest level of threat. The National View (Milli Görüş), from which today’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) sprang, and the Association of Human Rights and Solidarity for Oppressed Peoples (MAZLUM-DER) are included in the second-level category.

Although the Gülen movement was not included on the watch list in 2009, it was added to the list the following year, while the terrorist al-Qaeda group that committed lethal bombing attacks in 2003 was removed from the list in 2010.

Similarly, the Süleymancıs and Nakşibendis were also upgraded on the threat list from the second level to the top level in the space of one year.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 9, 2013


Related News

Daily Trust Editorial: In Turkey, fresh affront on democracy

The AKP government, under emergency rule, has taken over hundreds companies, seized the assets of businessmen and shut down institutions linked to the movement. Despite the fact that Gülen denied the accusation and called for an international investigation into the coup attempt, President Erdoğan – calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” – and the Turkish government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement.

Fate of preparatory courses

Zaman’s Hüseyin Gülerce denied allegations that there is tension between the government and Hizmet movement due to government’s steps to bring an end to these preparatory courses, saying that Hizmet does not own all preparatory course schools in the country. What bothers members of Hizmet is that the government has not given a clear or reasonable explanation as to why they are taking these steps, Gülerce said.

Iranian gold stars in Turkish corruption scandal

It is difficult to predict how the bribery/corruption investigation into several Turkish ministers will end. Although there are those who frame the event as a power struggle between the Fethullah Gulen movement and the government, conspiracy theories expand its dimensions to include the United States and Iran. The government is looking for US and Israeli hands in the operation because of the use of Halkbank to circumvent the sanctions imposed on Iran.

PM’s son: Dad, let’s initiate an operation against Hizmet’s senior members

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s son Bilal allegedly urged his father to trigger an operation to detain prominent figures of the Hizmet movement in response to an ongoing graft and bribery investigation implicating Erdoğan, his family members and a number of ministers and businessmen close to him.

Turkey Coup Attempt Leaves America With Stark Choice

In the aftermath of Turkey’s attempted, and failed, coup, Washington is primarily concerned about the future of the U.S.-Turkish alliance and its central objective these days: the fight against Islamic State (ISIS). In particular, U.S. policymakers are concerned about the fate of U.S. access to the Turkish airbase at Incirlik, from which assets used in […]

An AKP-neo-nationalist axis?

Emre Uslu, 14 March 2012 Turkey’s foremost thinker, Etyen Mahçupyan, in the Zaman daily, underlined an interesting rapprochement between the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and the neo-nationalist (Ulusalcı) camp in Turkey. Mahçupyan listed a number of indicators to provide evidence for his argument. Indeed, the indicators he gives are worrisome and show possible […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Chorepiscopus Yusuf Sag: Fethullah Gulen’s service is admirable

Turkish investors To Inject Capital Into Ghana’s Economy

Turkey detains Mozambican software developer over links to Gülen movement

The businessman who sits on his cell phone to avoid wiretapping

Turkish authorities issue warning to Samanyolu TV for ‘biased’ broadcasts

U.S.-based Turkish cleric says used as scapegoat in graft scandal

29-Year-Old Judge, A Victim Of Post-Coup Witch Hunt, Dies In Prison

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News