Turkish schools are being closed down


Date posted: April 11, 2014

NAZLI ILICAK, BUGÜN
Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu stated he had ordered the closure of Turkish schools in 160 countries, arguing that the officials of those schools had sent letters to the leaders of foreign countries in which they complained about the Turkish government. The closure of these schools is a serious step, but the reason for the closure is not based on real evidence.

Who wrote those letters? Who were those letters sent to? What was written in those letters? If those letters were written by Ahmet or Mehmet, is it right to punish Ayşe, Fatma, Hasan and Hüseyin? Do they [the government] have the right to punish all of Turkey and silence the national anthem being sung in 160 countries? Tell me, gentlemen, who gave you this right? Why hasn’t the prime minister, who said he was threatened over the closure of prep schools, made public the names of those who threatened him? What happened to [Justice and Development Party (AK Party) deputy] Mehmet Ali Şahin’s “imam of the Supreme Court of Appeals”? Have members of the parallel structure who placed bugging devices in the prime minister’s office been found?

Source: Todays Zaman , April 10, 2014


Related News

Samanyolu TV, Kimse Yok Mu raise TL 65 million for quake victims

A total of TL 65,056,527 ($37 million) was donated during a live fundraising telecast on local Samonyolu TV channels and radio stations. More than 9,000 people reached out in support of the earthquake victims by sending SMS text messages during the telethon.

Minister: Turkish gov’t racks up $5 bln in confiscation of Gülen-linked properties

The value of immovable properties including dormitories, real estates and schools that the government has confiscated as part of its clampdown against Gülen movement so far, totals around TL 15 billion or $4.9 billion, according to Environment and Urban Planning Minister Mehmet Özhaseki.

Alevi leader Kenanoğlu: Discrimination against Alevis increased in 2013

It must be realized that religion is a matter for individual citizens. It is likely that the Gülen community will face restrictions and pressure from the government [as the AK Party government’s supporters have accused the Gülen movement of discrediting a number of ministers and their relatives in relation to a recent investigation into alleged bribery in public tenders, which saw the sons of three Cabinet ministers taken into custody alongside construction moguls and bureaucrats]. What we have been defending are universal rights, including the freedom of religion and belief. If these can be achieved, everybody will benefit from them, not just the Alevi community.

Gülen book finds wide readership in northern Iraq

A book written by Kurdish journalist Rebwar Karim on Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s approach to the Kurdish question has been attracting a significant amount of attention in northern Iraq.

‘Ankara no longer producing laws compatible with EU norms’

When it comes to how Europe sees Erdoğan’s claims and the demonization of the Gülen movement, European Commission officials clearly told Turkish officials, including Çavuşoğlu, that the AKP’s demonization of the Gülen movement seems like an effort by the ruling party to cover up the corruption investigation, because there is no other way to explain why prosecutors and police who have been investigating a major corruption [scandal] were removed.

Public Enemy No. 1: A Visit with Fethullah Gülen, Erdogan’s Chief Adversary

In a meeting at his compound in Pennsylvania, Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen defends himself against claims made by Turkey’s president that he was behind this weekend’s failed coup. He alleges that power has poisoned Erdogan.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Appeals court unanimously upholds Fethullah Gülen acquittal

Hizmet movement in the spotlight at MESA 2012

Graduates’ views on the effectiveness of Gülen-inspired schools in Azerbaijan

As Gulen movement contracts in Africa, worry over who will fill the vacuum

Ex-FM Yakış defends Turkish schools as the torch bearer of Ottoman vision

Gülen lawyer dismisses claims in International Herald Tribute report, says allegations unfounded

Abant Platform urges government, protesters to exercise common sense

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News