Detainees ‘beaten, sexually abused and threatened with rape’ after Turkey coup, Human Rights Watch claims


Date posted: October 28, 2016

Group claims Turkey’s state of emergency has ensured a ‘blank cheque’ for torture

SAMUEL OSBORNE

Detainees have been beaten, sexually abused and threatened with rape by Turkish police, Human Rights Watch has claimed.

In a 43-page report published on Tuesday, the human rights group said a “climate of fear” had prevailed since July’s failed coup against President Tayyip Recep Erdogan and the arrest of thousands under a state of emergency.

It said Turkey had effectively written a “blank cheque” to security services to torture people.

Turkey’s Justice Ministry has repeatedly denied prisoners are ill-treated and said a unit had been established to investigate all claims. Ankara said the post-coup crackdown was necessary to stabilise a Nato state facing threats from Kurdish militants as well as wars in neighbouring Iraq and Syria.

HRW said it had uncovered 13 alleged abuse cases, ranging from the use of stress positions and sleep deprivation to severe beatings, sexual abuse and the threat of rape. The cases were not limited to possible supporters of the coup but also included detainees suspected of links to Kurdish militant and leftist groups.

Hugh Williamson, Europe and Central Asia director at HRW, said in a statement it “would be tragic if two hastily passed emergency decrees end up undermining the progress Turkey made to combat torture.”

“By removing safeguards against torture, the Turkish government effectively wrote a blank cheque to law enforcement agencies to torture and mistreat detainees as they like,” he said.

Turkey has arrested more than 35,000 people following the coup, detained thousands more and sacked over 100,000 over their suspected links to Fethullah Gulen, a US-based cleric Mr Erdogan blames for orchestrating the coup. Mr Gulen denies the charge.

The government has said the widescale crackdown is justified by the gravity of the threat to the state on 15 July, when rogue soldiers commandeered tanks and fighter jets, bombed the country’s parliament and killed more than 240 people.

Mr Erdogan declared a state of emergency days after the failed putch, allowing him and the cabinet to bypass parliament in enacting new laws and to limit or suspend rights and freedoms as deemed necessary.

Emergency decrees have since extended the period of police detention without judicial review from four days to 30, and have allowed the authorities to deny detainees access to lawyers for up to five days, and restrict their choice of lawyer.

Eight of the cases reported to HRW took place in the immediate aftermath of the coup, before the emergency decrees were published, while five took place after they were adopted.

In one, a lawyer told HRW several detainees had been forced to undress and left out in the baking sun for hours. She said the police then severely beat them and threatened to rape them with a baton.

In a statement to the prosecutor seen by HRW, one detainee described how he was blindfolded and then beaten by police. “The police chief who detained me… began to slap me in the face and eyes,” he said. “They beat me on the soles of my feet, on my stomach, then squeezed my testicles, saying things like they’d castrate me.” He went on to describe a series of beatings on other parts of his body.

It also quoted one police officer telling a detainee: “Because of the state of emergency, nobody will care if I kill you. I will just say I shot you while you tried to run away.” It said those words were overheard by the relative of another person in detention.

HRW called on the authorities to “immediately rescind those provisions of the emergency decrees that enable abuse”.

turkey-soldier.jpg

People kick and beat a Turkish soldier, who participated in the attempted coup, on Istanbul’s Bosphorus Bridge (AP)

People kick and beat a Turkish soldier, who participated in the attempted coup, on Istanbul’s Bosphorus Bridge (AP)

It said the government has “the right – and even the obligation – to protect the public, investigate crimes committed during the attempted coup, including murder and causing bodily harm, and to hold those responsible to account.

“However, declaring a state of emergency does not give the government a carte blanche to suspend rights.”

Amnesty International previously said it had received credible evidence of detainees being subjected to beatings, torture and rape in the immediate aftermath of the failed coup.

Justice Minister Bekir Bozdag tweeted on Sunday to say there is no ill-treatment or torture in Turkey’s prisons, and argued Turkey was being unfairly accused. he said a special unit was established to investigate all claims.

Source: Independent , October 25, 2016


Related News

When I met a Gandhian ‘Jihadi’ in America

What explains Gulen’s deep faith in peace, nonviolence, human dignity and inter-faith tolerance and dialogue as the cornerstones of Islam? For answer, we have to know something about the ‘Guru’ who influenced him – Bediuzzaman Said Nursi (1878-1960), one of the greatest Islamic theologians of the last century.

Mother of three arrested with baby as police fail to locate teacher husband

A mother of three in the western province of Izmir, Fadime Danışman was arrested along with her 8-month-old baby after police failed to locate her husband, a teacher by profession, as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement.

Sacked Turkish professor applies to employment organization

As the government has launched a sweeping campaign to eliminate any employees, be they public servants or academics, that it suspects of having links with Hizmet from state institutions, Özsoy said the purge is not restricted to state universities. It now includes private universities, too.

New York Times : Hundreds of Police Officers Reassigned in Turkey

Mr. Gulen’s followers vehemently deny claims that his adherents control state institutions. They argue that if his sympathizers are well represented within the police and judiciary, it is because they are well educated and highly qualified for their jobs.

The Encyclopedia of Islam and hate speech

Erdoğan’s obvious target was Fethullah Gülen, but it is clear that he also attacked anyone who doesn’t think like him with phrases such as “false prophets,” “fake mystics” and “so-called scholars.” This denigration is problematic especially in terms of secularism. Indeed, the prime minister hurls gross insults at religious interpretations that diverge from his own. In his capacity as a prime minister, he imposes his beliefs and acts onto those who do not think like him. One step beyond these remarks would be the prime minister’s supporters’ resorting to violence against those he places on the bull’s eye.

Ex-ministers call on gov’t to abandon efforts to shut down Turkish schools

Reactions are growing in the face of the government’s effort to close Turkish schools abroad that are affiliated with the Hizmet movement, inspired by the teachings of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Zaman school [in Cambodia] resists call for closure

One blow after another at anti-Hizmet docu’s premier

Newly launched book tells stories of purge victims after Turkey’s July 15 coup

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Witch-hunts in Europe

Dusseldorf drawn to the call “Come, whoever you are”

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News