Mother of three arrested with baby as police fail to locate teacher husband


Date posted: May 17, 2017

A mother of three in the western province of Izmir, Fadime Danışman was arrested along with her 8-month-old baby after police failed to locate her husband, a teacher by profession, as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement.

In a letter from Şakran Closed Prison in Izmir’s Aliağa district to Sözcü daily columnist Emin Çölaşan, Danışman said she was first detained at 2 pm in the morning on Apr 27, 2017.

“I suddenly woke up when police knocked the door in a rage at 2 pm in the morning on April 27. They were asking for my husband. They got angry after finding out that he was not home and called the prosecutor. …Then they issued an arrest warrant for me. As my husband was not at home, they took me into custody instead of him. They seized my phone. If they only let me, I would call my husband and he’d come. But they did not allow. I begged them to wait for my husband to be detained. I said I have three kids and there is no one else to look after them. They did not listen,” she wrote.

Turkish government accused the movement of masterminding the July 5, 2016 coup attempt and launched a sweeping crackdown against thousands of people with alleged or real ties to the movement including academics, journalists, doctors, businessmen, lawyers, policemen, judges, housewives, small business owners, teachers, students, football players, plumbers and many others from different occupations. The government calls the movement FETO, short for alleged Fethullahist Terrorist Organization.

What follows is the rest of the letter Danışman penned, revealing only one of the human tragedies taking place in the face of the great purge in Turkish history.

“I am writing to you from Sakran Womens’ Prison. My name is Fadime. I have been under arrest for the past 12 days. I am a housewife and a mother of three. My husband is teacher with experience of 8 years and a member of Egitim-Sen educators union. He was suspended from his position 7 months ago. All his teacher colleagues were asked questions about my husband in the first three months of his suspension and none of them agreed that he is pro-FETO. They looked through my husband’s banking transactions. They investigated everything about him. At the end of three months, the Education Ministry said they couldn’t find any evidence linking him to FETO and that he will remain suspended for two more months due to lack of evidence. Four months have already passed since then. You could imagine how big financial difficulty we get through. Three children, rent payment and I am a housewife…”

“My family lives in Malatya province and husband’s is in Bitlis. They were all yelling at me: ‘Get kids together, we’ll drop them to the Society for the Child Protection Agency.’ I took my 8-month-old baby with me and left with police officers, leaving the remaining two, aging three and six years old, to our neighbor. I supposed that I was gonna give a testimony and be released. But, I was put in pre-trial detention along with my 8-month-old baby after spending 36 hours under police custody and 15 hours at the courthouse.

To top off, I had left outside my two kids, both in need of care, and my husband was also detained at the end.

My mother is a cardiac patient with also high blood pressure. The mother-in-law had several surgeries due to her illnesses. Meanwhile, she must look after three people with disabilities at home. One of them is bedridden and the other two have visual impairment.

I don’t know how my kids are doing for 12 days. One of my kids suffers from rheumatism, requiring intensive care.

I am an asthma patient.

My baby has been having high fever for the past 4 days in the ward and having difficulties in digestion of foods.

Please hear our voice and get it heard Mr. Emin.

Would they release us if we were the [recently-freed] nephew of [Istanbul mayor] Kadir Topbas?”

Çölaşan said he would think that someone is exaggerating and making up things if the letter did not bear the seals of the Şakran prison.

Source: Turkey Purge , May 17, 2017


Related News

Baseless allegations damage publicly traded firms

The ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government has tried to scapegoat the Hizmet movement via conspiracy theories to evade attention stemming from the corruption allegations. A number of news stories broke soon after Ala’s claims, reporting that Bank Asya’s accounts were being scrutinized for misconduct.

Turkish PM Erdoğan’s chain of mistakes

“There are roads which must not be followed, armies which must be not be attacked, towns which must not be besieged, and positions which must not be contested.” Erdoğan’s most serious problem is this. Based on the fact that he has come out successful in every crisis he has encountered, he always uses the same strategy to overcome difficulties. I call this the “curse of winning every battle.”

Turkish journalist at daily Bugün is threatened

A journalist at the Ankara branch of the daily Bugün has claimed that he received a threatening phone call which he describes as “insulting and discomforting.” The threat follows recent similar claims by Cüneyt Özdemir, a writer at the newspaper Radikal and anchor of the 5N 1K program broadcast by the CNN Türk TV station.

Mother with disabled son and daughter detained over alleged coup involvement

Hatice Kökoğlu, the mother of a disabled son and a daughter, has reportedly been detained in Kütahya province over alleged links to the Gülen movement. However, the two disabled children were left alone after their mother was recently taken into custody as part of an investigation launched by the Kütahya Public Prosecutor’s Office.

Police detain student over fingerprints on Gülen books

According to a report, the police were informed that books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen were thrown in the garbage by unidentified people in the Belediyeevleri neighborhood of the Canik district of Samsun province. After the investigation, fingerprints on the books were matched to those of A.E.A, a 22-year-old university student.

Can a Post-Coup Turkey Get Along with Europe?

None of this has stopped the government from undertaking a huge, self-destructive purge, with around 10,000 people arrested, 100,000 people dismissed, and the seizure of assets of more than $4 billion, numbers that worry not just human rights activists but foreign investors as well. The government’s fury is understandable but it should distinguish between those who took part in the coup and those who simply belonged to the Gulen movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu’s Ramadan packages for Filipino families

Another thousands of locals now have access to drinking water in Chad and Cambodia

EU, US Have Little Leverage as Turkish Democracy Backslides

Turkish schools behind Turkey’s soft power in Middle East

Erdogan – Turkey’s desperate president

Fethullah Gulen’s Statement on Mass Shooting at Pittsburgh Synagogue

Almost 1,000 officers removed from post in İzmir, Ankara

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News