Criminal complaint filed against prosecutor accusing Hizmet of being terrorist


Date posted: September 22, 2015

A criminal complaint has been filed against Ankara public prosecutor Serdar Coşkun, who prepared an indictment in which by using false testimonies as evidence he accused several people of conducting organized crime under the Hizmet movement which he claimed to be a terrorist organization.

A report published by the Bugün daily on Thursday stated that the police officer, Seyyit Akşit, who had been forced to testify against the Hizmet movement — also known as the Gülen movement — has now filed a criminal complaint against Coşkun who previously used his testimony as evidence to initiate an investigation against alleged members of Hizmet as part of a government plot attempting to taint the movement.

In 2013, crooked police officer Akşit was discovered to be a close associate of recently detained mafia head Kadir İnan, who was a fugitive for two years due to his convicted crimes, one of which is drug trafficking. Akşit, who was working in the organized crime unit of the Ankara Police Department, was originally charged with delivering a police car, police equipment, documents and information to İnan’s criminal organization.

However, as later discovered, Akşit and İnan were both pressured during police interrogation to testify against several people — including former police chiefs — who were allegedly members of Hizmet. In exchange for his false testimony blaming the members of Hizmet, Akşit was promised that his original crime would be withdrawn.

Akşit later notified Coşkun, the prosecutor conducting the investigation, that he had changed his testimony because the promises made had not been fulfilled. Akşit also wrote a three-page explanatory letter to another prosecutor, telling him how the two police chiefs at his interrogation — Erdinç Elpe and Murat Çelik — forced him to speak against Hizmet. Even though the prosecutor who received Akşit’s letter launched an investigation into the two police chiefs, he was later taken off the case.

Akşit confessed at his hearing in April in Ankara 2nd High Criminal Court that in his testimony during police interrogations he was forced to make false statements about several people associated with the Hizmet movement. Similarly in August, mafia head İnan followed him and confessed the plot to discredit the movement.

Now in his criminal complaint against Coşkun, which is mentioned by the Bugün daily, Akşit accuses Coşkun of misconduct in office. In the complaint, which has been submitted to the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK) by his lawyer, Akşit says that Coşkun deliberately did not include important evidence which could be used for support in Akşit’s confession of a government plot against the Hizmet movement. Akşit’s important evidence is backed up with camera footage of the police interrogation that shows the two police chiefs convincing both him and the mafia head to make false statements.

When the government had a falling-out with the Hizmet movement following the corruption scandals that went public in December 2013 which implicated senior government officials, the movement was unjustly targeted with a series of plots, some of which were revealed as being cooked up by the government.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 17, 2015


Related News

Turkey fails to channel money into industry: TUSKON

“A large amount of hot money came to Turkey, along with other developing countries, but Turkey could not use this money to invest into industry,” said Rızanur Meral, chairman of the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON).

Report: Turkey’s purge risks isolating its higher education from int’l academia

Turkey’s purge of academics has already harmed the reputation of its higher education sector, the latest Free to Think report from the New York-based Scholars at Risk (SAR) noted adding that it risks greater damage by isolating Turkish scholars, students, and institutions from the international flow of ideas and talent.

Who is the winner?

The Gülen community is a movement of volunteers. The real reason for the row is not the community’s attempt to meddle in politics. It is due to its sheer size and public image. As he did with other groups or communities, Erdoğan sought to take full control of the Hizmet movement in an effort to consolidate his power. Following the defeat of the military tutelage, the government saw a convergence of power. However, the Hizmet movement was not a piece of cake which it could swallow easily. The government had previously purged itself of many bureaucrats who are close to the community.

Setting the facts straight on the Gülen movement

25 April 2012 / JAMES C. HARRINGTON Much of what Dan Bilefsky and Şebnem Arsu’s recent article in the International Herald Tribune (“Shadow Force Grows in Turkey,” published on April 18 describes about Fethullah Gülen and Turkey’s recent history is accurate, but the authors cast a shadow of innuendo and loose conclusions, apparently more driven […]

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

The Turkey Tribunal, a civil society-led, symbolic international tribunal established to adjudicate recent human rights violations in Turkey, started proceedings in Geneva on Monday where rapporteurs pointed to the use of systematic torture by the government against alleged members of the faith-based Gülen movement and Kurds.

Columnist fired from pro-gov’t daily after critical comment over Soma

In a similar development, the Yenişafak daily, another pro-government newspaper fired columnist Süleyman Gündüz for his refusal to toe the newspaper’s line against Hizmet Movement (also known as Gülen movement) led and inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Latest News

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

Erdoğan’s Civil Death Project’ : The ‘politicide’ spanning more than a decade

Fethullah Gülen’s Vision and the Purpose of Hizmet

In Case You Missed It

Gulen Schools Fight Provokes New Tensions in Bosnia

Erdoğan vows to strip Gülen sympatizers off Turkish citizenship

From ‘parallel state’ to ‘terrorist organization’: Dissecting Erdoğan’s labeling of Gülen

Turkish cleric calls for international body to examine coup charges

Purge In Turkey Worries Kansas City Emigres

UK Parliament’s Foreign Affairs Committee Hearing on Gülen and the Hizmet Movement

Ministry allegedly profiled students of dershanes close to Hizmet

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News