Yet another woman detained due to Gülen links shortly after delivery


Date posted: August 1, 2017

Sultan Çetintaş, who gave birth on Monday to her third child in the Turkish province of İzmir, was detained on Tuesday over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement.

Çetintaş was taken to the courthouse with her one-day-old baby after undergoing a C-section.

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) İstanbul deputy Sezgin Tanrıkulu criticized the detention of the new mother on his social media account and asked Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım to end the practice.

“Sultan Çetintaş gave birth yesterday and was detained today, taken to the İzmir courthouse. Stop these inhuman practices,” said Tanrıkulu.

Tanrıkulu said in an another tweet later in the day that Çetintaş was released on judicial probation.

In the meantime, another victim of the witch-hunt, 22-month-old Hüma Sultan, whose mother was arrested on July 19, has to stay in prison with her mother despite a chronic fever.

Sultan’s father was arrested in December 2016.

According to a report prepared by CHP İstanbul deputy Gamze İlgezdi, since a coup attempt last year, 29 pregnant and new mothers have been arrested and more than 560 children have had to stay in prison with their mothers, unable to benefit from legal rights.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed 249 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch AKP government along with President Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

Turkey’s Justice Ministry announced on July 13 that 50,510 people have been arrested and 169,013 have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.

Turkey has suspended or dismissed more than 150,000 judges, teachers, police and civil servants since July 15.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , August 1, 2017


Related News

AfSV Statement on the Turkish government’s detainment of Kutbettin Gülen

News of the detention of Kutbettin Gülen, the brother of Fethullah Gülen, is as unsurprising as it is troubling, and it is yet the latest example of the Turkish government’s persecution of innocent citizens in the wake of the July 15 coup attempt. Kutbettin Gülen has been detained on trumped-up charges used by President Tayyip Erdoğan’s administration to silence dissent and cement his autocratic hold on power.

Pro-gov’t daily claims White House held special session on Gülen

Pro-government Turkish daily Takvim claimed in a Friday report that the White House held a special session on Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is based in the US, in September 2014.

PM continues war he already lost

If a statement appearing in the Cumhuriyet daily, where the prime minister was quoted as saying that the “money used [in corruption] belongs to the state, not the people” reflects the truth, then this is a clear acknowledgement of wrongdoing.

Şimşek: Despite slander, Gülen remains silent to avoid provoking gov’t supporters

Osman Şimşek, editor of herkul.org — the website that usually publishes Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s speeches — has said that the Islamic cleric doesn’t respond to slander and insulting remarks so as not to provoke those who support the government.

Welcome to the Republic of Paranoia

Since conflicting with the secularist segments of society in the Gezi Park events, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government has taken on a paranoid mentality that tends to relate all developments that are against the AKP government with some form of conspiracy against it. As a result of this paranoid outlook, the AKP government has now gotten itself into a conflict with the Gülen movement. It is arguing that the Gülen movement is working in conjunction with foreign forces to harm the government.

The Dialogue Eurasia Platform serves world peace for 15 years

The DAP is operating in Azerbaijan, Belarus, Estonia, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, the Russian Federation, Tajikistan, Turkey, Turkmenistan and Ukraine.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

A medical center is being built next to Dadaap Camp

Turkish Cultural Night in Philippines

‘Hizmet’s solution against radicalism should be announced to world’

Mother with 25-day-old baby jailed on coup charges in Istanbul

Fethullah Gulen Condemns Brussels Terrorist Attacks

Gülen’s education model discussed at Indonesia conference

Turkish Charities accelerate Ramadan aid efforts worldwide

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News