Şimşek: Despite slander, Gülen remains silent to avoid provoking gov’t supporters

Turkish and Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen
Turkish and Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen


Date posted: March 11, 2014

PENNSYLVANIA

Osman Şimşek, editor of herkul.org — the website that usually publishes Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen‘s speeches — has said that the Islamic cleric doesn’t respond to slander and insulting remarks so as not to provoke those who support the government.

 

Speaking to the Samanyolu Haber news station on Tuesday, Şimşek said that Gülen’s morals and manners prevent him from answering the slanderous accusations directed at him by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and people close to his ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government. If Gülen replies, Şimşek claimed, it could be construed as an attack on all those who support the AK Party.

Erdoğan has portrayed the recent corruption scandal — which came to public attention on Dec. 17 of last year, implicating some of his close associates and family members — as a plot by the Gülen movement to weaken his government ahead of critical local polls scheduled for March 30. The Gülen movement, or Hizmet movement, is a civil society organization inspired by the scholar that seeks to improve education and interfaith dialogue around the world. Despite incessantly accusing the movement of being the culprit behind plots in Turkey’s political drama, Erdoğan has so far failed to present any persuasive evidence and has not appealed to a court.

“Every other day, we hear different slanderous words directed against Gülen. … A person would be stooping to the level of these people’s manners by responding to their accusations,” Şimşek said.

He later criticized clerics who kept quiet during a meeting of the Religious Affairs Directorate in which Erdoğan openly insulted Gülen. “There were many clerics who have known Gülen for many years. They were probably about 100 of them. Some of them were even his students. These people could easily have stood against the prime minister when he insulted Gülen. Why have did they keep quiet?” he added.

Şimşek later criticized Erdoğan for his efforts to close Turkish schools around the world run by the Hizmet movement, saying that the prime minister’s orders to Turkish ambassadors to tell their “tell the truth [about the movement]” to their host countries was an open threat against the schools which operate in 160 countries.“There is no logic in the prime minister complaining about our expatriate brothers serving at these schools abroad,” Şimşek said.

Gülen and his followers are at the center of Erdoğan’s accusations the Hizmet movement is behind the Dec. 17 anti-corruption operation. Erdoğan’s government reassigned thousands of police officers and purged more than 200 prosecutors in a major reshuffle in the wake of the scandal, a move which critics say enables the prime minister to impede any further corruption investigations.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 11, 2014


Related News

Child of purged victim in Turkey says: I was 14 months old when my dad jailed

The child of a man who was arrested as part of a Turkish government crackdown on dissent following a failed coup last July said in a message on a piece of paper that “I was 14 months old when my father left.”

Main opposition brings plans to sink Bank Asya to Parliament

The main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) has brought onto Parliament’s agenda claims that some state companies and institutions withdrew massive amounts of money from participation bank Bank Asya in order to push it into insolvency by choking its liquidity conditions.

Turkey torture claims in wake of failed coup

Kamil continues. “‘If you don’t speak, we’ll bring your wife here and rape her in front of your eyes’, they said. Then they took me to a dark room and tried to forcefully insert a baton into my anus. When they couldn’t do it, they left. Maybe I will forget the other torture – but for the sexual part, it is carved into the dirtiest corner of my heart.”

Gülen’s lawyers: PM’s only correct statement is that he visited Gülen

Lawyers representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen dismissed on Friday remarks made by Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu that Gülen rejected an invitation from Davutoğlu to return to Turkey on the grounds that “it was not time yet.”

Police detain another woman shortly after delivery, bringing total to 16

Ayşe Kaya, 30-year-old woman who gave birth to a baby in İstanbul early on Tuesday, was reportedly detained by police with her newborn baby later the same day. Turkish government has systematically been detaining women on coup charges either when they are pregnant or shortly after giving birth. This incident is the second in a week and 16th in the past 9 months.

PM’s discourse over ‘no family, children’ offensive, hurtful

On Feb. 23, Prime Minister Erdoğan targeted Nationalist Movement Party (MHP) Chairman Devlet Bahçeli due to his criticism of the government in the ongoing corruption investigation, saying: “He does not have any concept of family. He has no such concern. We know what children mean,” in an obvious reference to Bahçeli’s unmarried status.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Olympiads Cultural Festival attended by 3 million visitors in İzmir

Turkish editor hits out at media coercion under Erdoğan

Online Interfaith Dialogue Workshop

Thunder center Enes Kanter sure looks tiny compared to the world’s tallest man

Turkey further from EU accession than in 2007, Swoboda says

CPJ report: Turkey world’s 10th most dangerous country for journalists

Kimse Yok Mu reached out to 1 million people in Eid al-Adha

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News