Upholding of Yıldırım’s conviction; another case of ‘significant timing’


Date posted: January 22, 2014

GÜNAY HİLAL AYGÜN

Turkey saw the announcement of a prominent court ruling on Friday regarding a major match-fixing case involving Aziz Yıldırım, chairman of Fenerbahçe, one of the leading football clubs in the country.

The Supreme Court of Appeals upheld the decision of a lower court that sentenced Yıldırım to prison in the case in which several football clubs are involved. Yıldırım, who is accused of fixing games, trying to influence the outcome of matches and leading a criminal gang, was sentenced to six years, three months in prison in 2012. Yıldırım had spent a year behind bars but was released pending the outcome of his appeal. Now he will have to return to prison and step down as Fenerbahçe chairman. The scandal that rocked the reputation of Turkish football hit the media in July 2011, with police raids on football club premises and detentions of 60 people suspected of rigging football matches in two leagues. Top officials of the various clubs, including Fenerbahçe and Beşiktaş had been arrested on charges of fraud and match fixing. The Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) banned Fenerbahçe from European club competition for three seasons and Beşiktaş for one season.

Yıldırım, who was in France when he learned the upholding of his conviction by the Supreme Court of Appeals said he doesn’t recognize the verdict and claimed the case was politically motivated.

Hürriyet daily columnist Cengiz Çandar made a reference to Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s comments concerning the Yıldırım verdict that he made while speaking to reporters at an airport before leaving for Brussels. Çandar quoted Erdoğan saying: “I consider the timing [of the Supreme Court of Appeals ruling] significant. Why wasn’t it announced before? Why was it announced just before the elections? They could have done it after March 30. This is to confuse people’s minds. I believe that a ‘parallel state’ that dominates the judiciary has taken that step as a result of its delicate calculations.” According to Çandar, Erdoğan was suggesting with that statement that the Hizmet (Service) movement was behind the court rulings against Yıldırım. Çandar wrote: “However, members and supporters of Fenerbahçe are no longer so naive as to buy Erdoğan’s words. … Nowadays, Erdoğan is leading a defamation campaign to black out the truth and to distort the facts through the discourses of ‘parallel state,’ ‘there is no corruption; but a coup’ and ‘international conspiracy’.” Çandar then quoted Yıldırım responding to a question asking if he thinks that the Hizmet movement is behind the case against Fenerbahçe, in an interview he recently gave to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), saying: “This is not what I think. This is what the prime minister of the Turkish Republic thinks.”

With respect to the upholding of Yıldırım’s conviction, the Vatan daily’s Sanem Altan criticized the stance of the Turkish Football Federation (TFF) in her Wednesday column. Altan wrote: “What kind of a state is it where a court and a federation [TFF] can have such contradicting decisions? And is a football system reliable when it can have completely opposite decisions with the judiciary? … UEFA says ‘the crime has occurred,’ courts say ‘yes, it has’ and rule for conviction, the TFF says ‘no, there is no crime for us’.” Altan also asked, “How can the prime minister label the judiciary as unreliable by attributing the ruling to a ‘parallel state’?”

Source: Todays Zaman , January 22, 2014


Related News

Disabled teacher, husband removed from job as brothers under arrest

Fatma Koyun, a teacher with an 82 percent physical disability who was dismissed from his job as part of a post-coup investigation, says her husband as well as her brothers have been under arrest for months.

‘Escape from Turkey’ recounts stories of post-coup crackdown victims fleeing Turkey

A recently published book titled “Escape from Turkey” tells the first-hand story of two people who were forced to flee the country to avoid a crackdown launched by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government on Gülen movement members following a failed coup in 2016, local media reported on Monday.

Turkey deserves a civilian constitution – Cemal Yigit

The Ufuk Dialogue Foundation is a platform where Christians and Muslims come together to promote peaceful coexistence, mutual understanding and dialogue, especially between the two religions. This is because we believe that if we come together we can talk the talk and walk the walk.

Turkey pays a price for purging counterterror professionals

In the wake of the abortive July 15 coup, he purged thousands of experienced counter-terror police and rotated others out of areas they know best. In effect, this means the Turkish security and police are operating blind. It can take years to gain the experience in any particular locality that those whom Erdogan fired had.

Japanese students assist Syrian refugees in Turkey

A group of Japanese university students and professors recently came to Turkey to provide educational assistance to Syrian refugees, according to Turkish news sources on Tuesday. The volunteer group, which came to Turkey through the agency of charity Kimse Yok Mu, consisted of 15 students and professors from Meiji Gakuin University.

Turkish police detain another woman shortly after caesarean delivery

A Turkish women, Nazlı N. Mert, who has just given birth to a baby in Ankara, was detained by police teams and transferred to police station with her newly-born baby on Saturday as part of post-coup witch hunt campaign targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Turkey fosters strong educational ties with Iraqi Kurds

Turkey stands by Somalia during Eid Al-Adha

Civic engagement, success and the Gülen movement

Watch your mouth

Kimse Yok Mu, Philippines sign agreement to further aid cooperation

Panel on Middle East perspectives held at Ishik University

Source claims US not probing into Gulenists’ alleged role in Russian ambassador’s murder

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News