Disabled teacher, husband removed from job as brothers under arrest


Date posted: July 19, 2017

Fatma Koyun, a teacher with an 82 percent physical disability who was dismissed from his job as part of a post-coup investigation, says her husband as well as her brothers have been under arrest for months.

In a video recording of herself that was widely shared on social media, Koyun described the plight they have been undergoing for some time as a family: “Our lives were already hard to manage. Now it has gotten worse. …My husband was detained on May 26 and he was arrest on June 1.”

Koyun said her husband, Ismail Koyun has also physical disability.

Turkey survived a violent coup attempt on July 15, 2016 which killed more than 250 people. The government pinned the blame for the takeover attempt on the Gulen movement and has detained more than 130,000 people while arresting some 55,000 over links to the movement since last summer.

Meanwhile some 145,000 have lost their jobs with most of them being removed from service as part of post-coup emergency decrees. Koyun family was among thousands that were sacked within one of those decrees, issued on Sept 1.

The Gulen movement denies involvement in the coup bid.

Source: Turkey Purge , July 19, 2017


Related News

Kosovo PM Haradinaj: Deportation of Turkish citizens was hasty

Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj reported to a parliamentary commission on Friday about the deportation of six Turkish citizens earlier this year.

Academics sign statement saying ‘rule of law suspended’

Professor Ayhan Aktar, Professor Ersin Kalaycıoğlu and Professor Yasemin İnceoğlu, as well as 147 other academics, signed a statement saying that the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government cannot ignore corruption allegations by making up claims of a “parallel state” — which has no meaning in political science or law — and placing all responsibility of unlawful acts on the Hizmet movement, which was inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Turkish gov’t planning slaughter of jailed Gülen followers in staged riot, lawyer claims

The Turkish government is headed for mass killings of people jailed over alleged or real links to the Gülen movement, in a staged riot in Silivri prison, a lawyer representing a former police chief imprisoned as part of a crackdown against the movement claimed, underlining that he is worried about the lives of his clients.

Turkish nationals in South Africa fear abductions

“Yesterday we were sitting together, today they call us terrorists. Immediately overnight they changed.” A conspicuously distressed Turkish national uttered these words during an interview with The Star at the Nizamiye Mosque Complex in Midrand.

Upholding of Yıldırım’s conviction; another case of ‘significant timing’

Nowadays, Erdoğan is leading a defamation campaign to black out the truth and to distort the facts through the discourses of ‘parallel state,’ ‘there is no corruption; but a coup’ and ‘international conspiracy’.” Çandar then quoted Yıldırım responding to a question asking if he thinks that the Hizmet movement is behind the case against Fenerbahçe, in an interview he recently gave to the Wall Street Journal (WSJ), saying: “This is not what I think. This is what the prime minister of the Turkish Republic thinks.”

Dozens of the anti-Gülen and anti-Gülen Movement books on the shelves

24 July 2011 / Today’s Zaman Below news was published almost a year ago to list the books written against Gulen. Mr. Fethullah Gulen, for about a year, has been accused of getting some writers jailed because of the books they wrote. However, some columnists have been writing against him for more than 30 years […]

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

How strong is the Gülen movement in France?

Kimse Yok Mu extends helping hand to orphans in eastern Turkey

Kimse Yok Mu enables African girls to go to school

Exiled journalist discusses crisis in Turkey

Turkish group among first to send aid to ‘Yolanda’ victims

‘Kimse Yok Mu’ helps in Peru

For first time, Fethullah Gülen curses purge of police officials in emotional speech

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News