Turkish family kept at Kiev airport for days at Turkey’s request


Date posted: June 1, 2017

A Turkish family that was reportedly detained by Ukrainian authorities on Thursday, have been kept in a room at Kiev Boryspil Airport for three days, waiting to be deported to Turkey, according to a video recording the family members posted on social media.

Ali Yıldız, the father, said in a video recording he posted on Twitter late on Saturday, they were coming from Bangkok and stopped in Kiev to making it onto their connecting flight to Casablanca.

“My name is Ali Yıldız. I have been 3 days in this room. I came from Bangkok to Kiev as a tourist. I am a Turkish citizen. Ukraine does not require visa from Turkish citizens. Now, we are at Kiev International Airport. Two soldiers (wait) outside. Yesterday (Friday), I had a flight from Kiev to Casablanca. They did not allow me to fly. They said ‘we are going to send you to Bangkok. (However) Today, two officers came and said you cannot fly again. I asked them ‘Why am I not flying?’ They said ‘Now you can fly only to Turkey, İstanbul,” Yıldız said.

In a follow-up video recording, Yıldız said that he does not want the Ukrainians to send his family to Turkey.

“I don’t know what the reason is and why had happened. Please help me!” Yıldız said.

The Yıldız family is believed to have a relation with Turkey’s Gülen group, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. After the putsch, the government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan accused the Gülen group for the attempt.

The group denies any involvement.

President Erdoğan earlier called on foreign governments to punish Gülenists in their own countries. Only a few countries, including Saudi Arabia, Malaysia and Georgia, seem to have complied with the request so far.

In one of the examples, Muhammet Furkan Sökmen, a Turkish teacher working for two schools established by Gulen movement followers in Myanmar, was forcibly returned to Turkey despite his cries for help on social media.

He was detained at Istanbul Ataturk Airport and was taken to a police station for interrogation, on Saturday.

Sökmen called for “help from the world” in a video recording he posted on social media minutes before he was handed over to Turkish authorities at Yangon International Airport by Myanmar police on Friday.

According to another video he earlier posted on social media, Sökmen, his wife Ayşe and daughter Sibel were detained by local immigration officials who told the family that Turkish government had invalidated their passports.

According to Turkey’s state-run Anadolu news agency, Sökmen was first forcibly deported to Bangkok, Thailand on May 24.

 

Source: Turkey Purge , May 28, 2017


Related News

Today is another Human Rights Day, but atrocities persist | Opinion

One such case is the experience of thousands of Turkish people under the Erdogan regime after the failed coup attempt in July 2016. Soon after the coup attempt, Erdogan’s regime launched a crackdown on opponents and critics, detaining thousands of journalists, rights activists, lawyers, teachers and writers for their alleged involvement in anti-state activities.

Fate of preparatory courses

Zaman’s Hüseyin Gülerce denied allegations that there is tension between the government and Hizmet movement due to government’s steps to bring an end to these preparatory courses, saying that Hizmet does not own all preparatory course schools in the country. What bothers members of Hizmet is that the government has not given a clear or reasonable explanation as to why they are taking these steps, Gülerce said.

Islamic scholar Gülen rejects involvement with graft probe and wiretappings

“If among those who conducted the graft investigations were some people who might be connected to the Hizmet movement, was I supposed to tell these people, ‘Turn a blind eye to the corruption charges?’ It appears to me that some people were expecting me to do this. Did they expect me to do this? How can I say something that would ruin my afterlife? How else can I act?” Fethullah Gülen said.

Turkish govt has declared war on us, Nigerian student cries out from hiding

Nigerian students in Turkey are in hiding following the government’s crackdown on them. “We are scared of leaving our rooms for fear of being arrested and charged with terrorism, or deported. Most of us are in our final year. What do we do?” students said.

Purge-victim mother of three dies of heart attack

Rana Ozturk, a mother of three children and the wife of Engin Ozturk who has been under arrest for 15 months over alleged ties to the Gulen group, died several days after a heart attack, media reported on Nov 21.

Who is Behind the Pennsylvania Protests?

Fethullah Gulen had suggested that the protestors should be listened to and not be treated harshly. This was an expression to show that the people’s voice and requests at Gezi should not be rejected.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

On the mysterious deportations of Turkish teachers

James Baker’s remarks about Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement

Deputy PM threatens Taraf daily, Baransu for covering controversial MGK docs

‘Turkish schools in Nigeria are not owned by government of Turkey’

TUSKON to gather 2,000 businessmen from all over world in İstanbul

Somali’s Future Brighter with Turkish Schools

Witch-hunt-targeted mother dies in Kabul, family could not attend funeral in Turkey

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News