Turkey urges KRG to consider Gulen Movement a “Terrorist Organization”

PM Barzani and Turish MS attend the opening of Ishik University in Erbil in 2008. On the right, Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani; on the left, Turkey's then Consul General Mr. Ahmed Yildiz
PM Barzani and Turish MS attend the opening of Ishik University in Erbil in 2008. On the right, Prime Minister Nechirvan Barzani; on the left, Turkey's then Consul General Mr. Ahmed Yildiz


Date posted: July 29, 2016

The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

ERBIL — The Turkish Consul-General to Erbil said on Thursday (July 28) the Kurdistan Regional Government (KRG) should recognize the Hizmet Organization of Turkish Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen as a “terrorist organization.”

Mehmet Akif Inam, the Turkish Consul-General, said during a press conference on Thursday that he would direct requests to the KRG in the near future regarding the Hizmet Organization and schools run by the group in the Kurdistan Region.

The KRG Ministry of Education said it would abide by any decision made by the KRG Council of Ministers concerning the closure of the organization’s schools in the Kurdistan Region.

Sherko Hama Amin, a member of the Kurdistan Parliament’s Education Committee, told NRT that schools should not be shut down over political reasons, especially a political issue outside the region.

“There is no excuse to mix political issues with the closure of schools in the Kurdistan Region, especially a political event which occurred outside the region,” Amin said.

“The permission and closure of any schools in the Kurdistan Region must be in the frame of law and must not be connected to any political issue taking place in a neighboring country,” he added.

The Turkish government has previously, even before the July 15 military coup attempt, called on the KRG to close schools connected to the Gulen movement in the region.

So far, tens of thousands of people in Turkey – including police, judges and teachers – have been suspended or placed under investigation since the July 15-16 coup, which Turkey says was staged by a faction within the military loyal to Fethullah Gulen.

The Turkish government is attempting to cut all branches connected to the Hizmet Organization internationally by pressuring the shut down of schools, universities, hospitals and charity organizations.

Western governments and human rights groups, while condemning the abortive coup in which at least 246 people were killed and more than 2,000 injured, have expressed concern over the extent of the crackdown, suggesting President Tayyip Erdogan may be using it to stifle dissent and tighten his grip on power.

Some related news:

ANKARA FORCES ARBIL TO CLOSE TURKISH SCHOOLS IN KRG (March 2014)

GULEN MOVEMENT PARTICIPANTS HAVE BEEN SERVING IN IRAQ KURDISTAN FOR 19 YEARS (February 2013)

STUDENTS OF TURKISH SCHOOL IN IRAQ LEARN FOUR LANGUAGES (December 2012)

TURKISH SCHOOLS IMPORTANT FOR NORTHERN IRAQ’S FUTURE (December 2010)

PM BARZANI AND TURKISH MPS ATTEND THE OPENING OF ISHIK UNIVERSITY IN ERBIL (November 2008)

 

Source: NRT TV , July 29, 2016


Related News

Cyber attacks on news websites threaten freedom of press, expression

Starting mid-February, the Radio and Television Supreme Council (RTÜK) has been severely penalizing a number of news TV channels known for their anti-government broadcasts. Those channels, which include Samanyolu Haber TV and Bugün TV, were mostly penalized on the grounds that their programs were biased. The channels have been broadcasting reports about claims of corruption and bribery that have implicated some government members.

Gülen says planned assassinations of prominent figures in Turkey could be blamed on him

In a video shared Sunday night on the Herkul.org website, where his speeches are aired, Gülen said after a graft probe in 2013 and the July 15 coup attempt, government circles are now planning to pin the blame on him and his movement, also known as Hizmet, for the planned assassination of several famous figures in Turkey.

Turkey coup attempt: Number of people detained passes 26,000 amid international concern over crackdown

Turkish authorities are arresting people for links to the Gulen movement, which denies involvement. The number of people detained by Turkish authorities following the failed coup to oust President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has passed 26,000.

Erdogan vows for genocide of Gulen sympathizers: “We will not give them the right to life!”

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, who has been waging a relentless war against followers of the faith-based Gülen movement in Turkey for the past several years, has said Gülen movement sympathizers in the country will not enjoy the right to life.

Gülen says he would free all coup convicts if he had the means

In a statement published on herkul.org, a website that broadcasts his speeches, Gülen said he was deeply saddened to see “those elderly men” standing trial in these cases, adding that he would favor their release if he was able to. “If I had the means at my disposal, I would tell them, ‘You are all free.’ How? Just like the Prophet said to all on the day of the Conquest of Mecca: ‘Go! You are all free today’.”

University entrance exam results announced, top scorers from Gülen-affiliated schools

Turkey’s Student Selection and Placement Center (ÖSYM) on Thursday announced the results of the Transition to Higher Education Examination (YGS), revealing that students from Gülen-affiliated schools, which have been the target of a government-sponsored defamation campaign, are among the top scorers of the exam.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Exiled journalist discusses crisis in Turkey

İpek Holding chairman denies reports about alleged mansion for Gülen

NBA star Enes Kanter on faith, basketball and political activism

‘Building Bridges Through Education’ explores education’s role in a globalized society

Are ambassadors propaganda officials for the ruling party?

Arınç calls Gülen’s extradition request a ‘political move’

The U.S. may face a choice between geopolitical calculation and human decency

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News