Gülen says planned assassinations of prominent figures in Turkey could be blamed on him


Date posted: August 14, 2017

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is accused by the Turkish government and president of masterminding a failed coup in Turkey last year, on Sunday said government circles that have scapegoated him and his movement for all the crimes in Turkey are planning to assassinate prominent people in Turkey and put the blame on him and his followers.

In a video shared Sunday night on the Herkul.org website, where his speeches are aired, Gülen said after a graft probe in 2013 and the July 15 coup attempt, government circles are now planning to pin the blame on him and his movement, also known as Hizmet, for the planned assassination of several famous figures in Turkey.

Underlining that dark power circles around the government were not successful in convincing people and especially the international community of Hizmet followers being behind the failed coup last year, Gülen said they have prepared a serious plan to assassinate important people in Turkey and link it to him in order to turn people against the movement.

“Now others [government circles] are thinking: ‘So what should we do now? We need something more serious, we need to assassinate a few very important people, and finish them [Hizmet followers] off’,” he said.

“Do you understand what I’m talking about here? I’m telling you of things that are being talked about by everyone, things plotted behind closed doors but now being uttered publicly. They’re saying, ‘Let us take care of [assassinate] a few important names, stir up some commotion in such a way that people will surely view it as a ‘coup,’ and thus we will have fooled all those who haven’t already been convinced.

“From now on, in one sense, they must find an excuse to be able to get away with the things they want to get away with. And for the sake of that excuse, there’s no limit to the degree of mischief they are willing to undertake.

“In that respect, those who stand before the door of the Almighty, those who wish to knock on His door of Mercy, must bear in mind that awful things may be awaiting them in the near future, and they must move forward with sharp intellect, foresight and vigilance,” he said.

On Saturday Turkish Minute columnist Abdullah Bozkurt wrote that Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is now contemplating orchestrating assassinations at home targeting high-profile figures and murders abroad to intimidate and silence his critics in exile.

“By doing so, Erdoğan will keep undermining the independent opposition groups that he has failed to coopt with incentives such as money and positions in the government or could not scare through intimidation. This is crucial for his rule leading up to the 2019 presidential and parliamentary elections that are key for his survival given the worsening economic outlook, growing security challenges in Turkey and its neighborhood and festering antagonism among various social and ethnic groups,” Bozkurt said.

When a major graft scandal erupted in December 2013, Erdoğan and his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) claimed that the investigations were carried out by police officers and members of the judiciary who were affiliated with the Gülen movement. Erdoğan called the probes “coup attempts against his government” and torpedoed the investigations by purging and jailing most of the police officers, prosecutors and judges who oversaw the graft probes.

When some putschist soldiers attempted a military coup on July 15, 2016, Erdoğan immediately blamed Gülen for being behind the coup and launched a wide-scale witch-hunt against Hizmet followers.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , August 14, 2017


Related News

Two women detained during visit to jailed husbands

Two women, identified as H.T. and S.S., were detained when they went through security check before visiting their imprisoned husbands at a prison in Turkey’s Edirne province.

With Husband Already In Jail, Woman Along With Two Children Detained In Post-Coup Witch Hunt

Nearly seven months after former public worker B.K. was arrested, his wife and two children were also detained as part of a government witch hunt against the Gülen movement. She is also diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Pineapple republic!

It would be wonderful if those who refer to the Gülen movement as a terrorist group, label its volunteers as “assassins” or call Gülen a “fake prophet” could see the heartfelt applause the work done by this group [Gülen movement] elicits.

Prep school debate [in Turkey] continues

According to Bugün columnist Adem Yavuz Arslan, some newspapers, such as Akit, use very harsh language against the Hizmet movement in the prep school debate. Arslan wrote that newspapers are free to criticize things, but the criticism cannot be made as a form of revenge. The right to open a prep school is a democratic right, Arslan said.

‘Well, you were saying Hizmet is a religious movement?’

The Hizmet movement is considered a civil society organization, an indispensable element in democratic societies. In democracies, elections truly matter. The will of voters is indisputably important. However, there is also another power, called public opinion. They influence the parties and administrations.

Land tender won by TUSKON reopened in defiance of court decision

The tender for a large parcel of land which was won by the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) was reopened on Monday, despite a prior court decision barring such a move, according to a statement from the confederation on the same day.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Report: Gülen-linked media outlets sold to pro-gov’t media groups without tender

An unshakable spiritual unity, unique to Hizmet Movement volunteers

Ramadan Dinner At Kings Bay Y Celebrates Peace And Unity

Fethullah Gulen denies ties to attempted coup in Turkey

Turkey: Erdogan’s macabre dance in Africa

Gülen movement reiterates principles, underlines transparency in statement

Nigerian students win at global contests

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News