Take protests seriously, work to solve problems, Fethullah Gülen urges

Photo by Stelleconfuse/Flickr
Photo by Stelleconfuse/Flickr


Date posted: June 6, 2013

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has urged that the protests that have gripped Turkey for nearly 10 days not be underestimated or ignored, adding that “we share the blame” for the unrest. Gülen also urged restraint and patience from his followers and said “our duty is to work to rehabilitate hearts.” Gülen frequently used “we” in a speech referring in particular to members of his movement, and repeatedly blamed his movement for not doing enough to eliminate problems Turkish society faces, especially on an ethical level.

He said that while trying to prevent one wrong, “fiftyfold more wrongs are being committed, sparking more rancor and hatred.” It was not clear to whom he was referring in that instance.

Gülen counseled that the protests should not be underestimated and said that if one claims that the protesters are not seeking their rights, then some of what he called their “innocent demands” would likely be ignored. He added that the initial protesters who gathered in Taksim’s Gezi Park last week in a sit-in protest to prevent construction workers from destroying trees could be seen as rightfully demanding the preservation of the ecosystem and green spaces. He branded their initial demands as “logical.”

But he condemned the subsequent violence and said the succeeding events showed that they sometimes could not “maintain the right balance.” He said throwing stones and burning public assets is “illogical and inhumane.”

Gülen noted that indifference and the inability to comprehend events could cause another problem on the other side; likely referring to the government, who most observers believe misread the protests.

During his entire speech, he rarely referred to specific events and generally spoke hypothetically.

Gülen said underestimating the negative developments could stem from problems in “judgment, mind and logic.” He likened the protests to an “invasion of ants” and said “don’t disregard them.”

“We need to act smart and see the smallest problems as very big and we need to handle them in a smart way,” he added. Gülen said some legitimate demands of innocent people are being exploited by some groups inside and outside of Turkey. He said the international media in the US, Europe and elsewhere is publishing stories “against Turkey,” referring to the fact the reports make Turkey look bad. He said the media also exaggerated events in the country as if “there is an apocalypse happening.”

“Who is to blame for this unrest? Those who overlooked the protests by labeling it as this and that? Or should we blame those who are involved in the violence? Or should we blame the system overall?” Gülen said.

Gülen also said, “We need to ask ourselves if we share the blame for all those kids involved in violence.”

Gülen said the cause of those kids involved in violence in the streets is not “right.” If their cause was just, they could have peacefully gathered in a square and asked for their rights.

Gülen pointed to the ballot box as a way to change governments and said they could have gone door-to- door and urged people to vote for their candidate in the next elections. “If they don’t like the candidate they elected, they can wait for another season and vote again,” he said.

Gülen also added that if one starts fire and war, it is sometimes difficult to stop it later, referring to the protests authorities had belittled. “The things we are experiencing now are no different from a fire,” he said. He advised authorities to use all tools at their disposal to “extinguish the fire when it is small,” referring to the unrest.

He stated that if innocent people are being killed, educational facilities are bombed, people are being choked with gas and some people remain blind to the background of these events, then the “fire could rage.”

Gülen also urged restraint and patience from his followers and said “our duty is to work to rehabilitate hearts.”

Related newsAbant Platform urges government, protesters to exercise common sense

Source: Today's Zaman , 6 June 2013


Related News

Post-coup purge in Turkey leaves children parentless after mother and father are put behind bars

Turkey’s post-coup purge is continuing to hit children, leaving them parentless in myriad cases, shattering their families, disrupting their education and upending their emotional life.

Turkish Olympiad most effective promotion for Turkey, says FM

Turkish Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has praised the 11th International Turkish Olympiad, a festival that celebrates the Turkish language, as the “most effective” instrument for promoting Turkey, while receiving students visiting Turkey as part of the Olympiad.   Davutoğlu said he has been a fan of the Turkish Olympiads for a long time, noting that […]

The Muslim Cleric Who Fell in Love With Democracy

Gülen say, “The principles and form of government that form the basis of democracy are compatible with Islamic values. Consultation, justice, freedom of religion, protection of the rights of individuals and minorities, the people’s say in the election of those who would govern them…[are] principles espoused by both Islam and democracy.”

Turkey Regulator Demands Bank Asya Information Before Sukuks (1)

Turkey’s Capital Markets Board has asked to be informed of future issues, Cengiz Onder, head of investor relations at Bank Asya, said in a phone interview today from Istanbul. An official at the board, asking not to be named under government policy, said it’s seeking further documentation from Bank Asya before sales can resume, without giving further comment.

Another AK Party deputy, Muhammed Çetin, resigns in protest

Çetin reportedly asked AK Party deputies Volkan Bozkır and Ali Aşlık about their shoebox numbers. His joke prompted other deputies to tell the incident to the party administration, which outraged with the joke and referred Çetin to the disciplinary committee with request of expulsion.

Turkey’s leading prep school network rejects claims it cheated on state exams

Turkey’s leading prep school network has categorically rejected allegations that its teachers were involved in mass cheating, describing pro-government circles’ latest claim an attempt to “defame” and abolish public service state exams.

Latest News

Sacramento leaders gather for Iftar dinner in celebration of Ramadan

SEO Skill Suite: Tools for Keyword Research, Technical & Backlink Analysis

Turkish inmate jailed over alleged Gülen links dies of heart attack in prison

Message of Condemnation and Condolences for Mass Shooting at Bondi Beach, Sydney

Media executive Hidayet Karaca marks 11th year in prison over alleged links to Gülen movement

ECtHR faults Turkey for convictions of 2,420 applicants over Gülen links in follow-up to 2023 judgment

New Book Exposes Erdoğan’s “Civil Death Project” Targeting the Hizmet Movement

European Human Rights Treaty Faces Legal And Political Tests

ECtHR rejects Turkey’s appeal, clearing path for retrials in Gülen-linked cases

In Case You Missed It

Bedridden mother dies of hearth attack after daughter arrested over Gulen links

Young environmentalists awarded at 22nd INEPO

Closer look at empire of cleric accused in Turkey coup attempt

Erdogan’s Turkey silencing dissent, abusing terrorism charges – HRW report

TUSKON: Media raids discourage foreign investors

455 water wells opened in Pakistan thanks to Kimse Yok Mu

Gülen has been awarded an honorary doctorate by Leeds Metropolitan University

Copyright 2026 Hizmet News